Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tippett rings

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default Re: Tippett rings

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Are the 3mm ones strong enough for throwing streamers on 3x or lower?

I have always just used tapered leaders, but am interested in trying other ideas. Especially for a nymph rig or dry flies. What happens when you are fishing like a size 22 dry and using one of these? Surely they sink
    The ring probably weights less than the fly ..... will, a touch more. For super small flies the recommendations I've read suggest a light coating of floatant on the leader (top to bottom).

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

I use the flotant supplied by "Cutthroat" and I have no issues floating a #24 dry, still figuring out how to tie on something smaller, need a microscope I think
    Details Count

Where is the cheapest place to get tippet rings, I'm only interested in getting 1-2 so that I can play with them and see how they do, I typically use the loop to loop setup, but my tippet failures a lot of the time are at the tippet side perfection loop knot. Am I sold on these being much better not really but I wouldn't mind testing one or 2.

Craig

Blog Entries

I saw a 10 pack on Cutthroat leaders for $5.00. I will probably just order those.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

5. Likes craigthor, fredaevans liked this post

Craigthor that was what was happening to me the tippet ring will make a big diff. its like a little hook eye clinch knot a lot stronger
    R Reese

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
    Where is the cheapest place to get tippet rings, I'm only interested in getting 1-2 so that I can play with them and see how they do, I typically use the loop to loop setup, but my tippet failures a lot of the time are at the tippet side perfection loop knot. Am I sold on these being much better not really but I wouldn't mind testing one or 2.

Craig
    Where exactly are the tippet failures on the tippet side? At the knot?
    Last edited by jaybo41; 12-22-2013 at 07:35 PM.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

I was having trouble with perfection loop in the 5 6 7 x tippet breaking at the knot ring and clinch knot took care of that
    R Reese

Quote Originally Posted by craigthor View Post
    I typically use the loop to loop setup, but my tippet failures a lot of the time are at the tippet side perfection loop knot.
    That's because the perfection loop is not strong enough to use on the tippet side of a loop2loop connection !!!!
    I have proven this to myself too many times.
    The perfection loop is fine with thicker diameter material, but with tippet sized material you MUST use a stronger loop
    The 2 turn surgeon's loop is strong, easy to remember and tie, and the non-slip mono loop is near 100%

You don't need tippet rings... just a better loop knot.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

10. Likes craigthor liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    That's because the perfection loop is not strong enough to use on the tippet side of a loop2loop connection !!!!
    I have proven this to myself too many times.
    The perfection loop is fine with thicker diameter material, but with tippet sized material you MUST use a stronger loop
    The 2 turn surgeon's loop is strong, easy to remember and tie, and the non-slip mono loop is near 100%

You don't need tippet rings... just a better loop knot.
    I'll give that a whirl.

I am gonna give it a try. I don't tend not to worry too much about my knots, at least not on the water. I don't tend to break off a lot of fish, and I catch enough fish, that it is not heart breaking or anything when I do. Last time I broke off fish was Cheeseman Canyon fishing 7x. You let those big rainbows get into current, and forget about it. I have lost more due to size 22/24 hooks bending open than breaking knots.

I really feel you are better off tying an easier knot that you know will set right, than some of the fancier knots. I just tie clinch knots and double surgeons. Having said that, I will probably do an improved clinch on the tippet to tippet ring since I will be connecting at my bench. Anyone tie the San Diego knot? Might try that one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234