Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tippett rings

Default Tippett rings

Anyone have experience with Tippett rings? I am considering the experiment and wondering on how fine a line I can use them effectively. For example, could I tie a ring on the end of a 4x Leader and throw on a couple of feet of 5x for a Tippett? Could I do the same between 5x and 6x?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tippett rings

I think you will be fine going from 4x to 5x without issue. You may find the casting / presentation to be down-graded when you start to deal with lighter tippets. We make some nymphing leaders with multiple rings, but those leaders are not designed for casting / presenation but more high sticking. Hope that helps.

We carry the rings as well if you need any.

Thanks. Checking you guys out right now.

I tried the tippet ring when I started fly fishing (about 3 months ago) trying to save on my leaders. But then I quit using it and starting to use the perfection loop on the leader to make a loop to loop connection to the tippet or to my homemade furled leaders.
    With my very limited fly fishing and casting experience, I found out that ring impeded the fly turn over. But that could be just me. I stopped using them and they are now collecting dust.
    Last edited by runningfish; 04-11-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

I've been using them for awhile and will continue to use them. They are already on cutthroat leaders so I don't have to put one on them. I ordered it with it on there.
    Okiemountaineer

I have Joni put them on my furled leaders. I think they are great.
    I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.

I agree with fly guy, Joni put them on my 4 and 5 wt leaders and they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by jjames View Post
    Anyone have experience with Tippett rings? I am considering the experiment and wondering on how fine a line I can use them effectively. For example, could I tie a ring on the end of a 4x Leader and throw on a couple of feet of 5x for a Tippett? Could I do the same between 5x and 6x?
    Yes !...I have been using these...

...since they came packaged this way...

..and I use these for my tippet material...

The top two are Mono and the bottom is from the guys who invented Fluoro. I use the rings with 7x leaders and up to 9x tippet material - if needed. I use the rings with Streamers, Buggers, nymphs, wets (try using more than one ring for droppers) and dries. ALL connections are with a Uni Knot...

I no longer burn through leaders when I need to add tippet and save some $$$'s in the process...They work just fine

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

I've been using them on the furled leaders I've been using, and love them. I'm not sure of the size rings I'm using with my leaders, but have never had any problems tying on any of the tippets I've chose to use..

Never heard of these, but they look like a good idea. Do they act like a spilt shot?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast