Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Default need new 3wt line, what to get

so i've been using my 3wt quite a bit and its taken its toll on the line (which seems alot more fragile than my 5wt, is this normal?)
    its breaking right behind where welded loop section ends (1 inch from the loop)
    it will be used on REDINGTON CT 763-4 rod.
    right now im using this line ( $25 )+3S&H it casts fine, overall im not pro enough to have anything negative to say about it, it does everything i expect it to.
    i should add, i have only had GREAT experience with this shop. i've bought fly boxes, fly line, alot of flies !!. and its always been good experience.

and this is the damage i have right now: (maybe i can just cut the line loop and attach a loop end from a leader to it? so i can easily attach loop to look another leader?) how hard is this?

but i also have a $25 OFF $50 purchase at ORVIS (expires today 4.22.13)
    and am looking at their Clearwater ($39) or Access ($59) lines which would be $25 off,

does anyone have any suggestions/ experience with ORVIS 3wt lines?
    thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: need new 3wt line, what to get

If you are happy with the shop that you can purchase that discount 3 weight fly line, do business with that shop.

If your damaged fly line is in good condition besides the loop, you can always add a looped butt section. All you need to know how to do are two knots: Nail Knot, Perfection Loop.

If you have a local fly shop around you, have it tie on a new butt section for you. Buy a few flies, leaders, or other accessories as a thank you.

Dennis

Blog Entries

exactly what dennis said.
    if the fly line is in otherwise good shape tie in a loop or get a braided loop
    and attach it yourself. rio makes a good one.

casey

ARFE

Blog Entries

I'm not an expert, but this exact thing has happened to me at least 4 times in the last three years, so I'll tell you what I've done for this situation.

I take an old tapered leader, something I've cut down to about 5 ft. and at least a 3X. I cut it down to about 18 inches (this is an arbitrary length; I cut this length in case I screw up once or twice) from the loop (this will be my new fly line loop).

Cut off welded loop on fly line.

I use a nail knot to tie the leader loop to my fly line. Loctite the nail knot lightly as well as the cut end of your fly line (to prevent water absorption into the end of your fly line). Let cure for at least an hour.

Repair complete.

The loop on your average tapered leader is between 20 and 30 lb. test, plenty strong for most freshwater fishing. In fact, in three years I have never had this repair fail, in spite of occasionally hauling small logs to the bank.

Top three pros for doing this:

One less knot to tie

Recycling old leader

If desired, you can adjust length of leader loop

Peace.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

thanks guys,
    and yes line is still in pretty good shape, (not perfect because i have stepped on it once or twice with my wading boots studs, so there are little nicks in it)

but i just went to a local shop (TROUT's Fly Fishing, here in Congress Park area of Denver CO) if you're local and have not been yet, check it out, very cool shop, very helpful staff.
    one of the guys at the shop fixed it in less then 1 minute. he just cut broken piece of and welded new loop for me (i guess all good shops have some welding machines on the back)
    its as good as new.

6. Likes stl_geoff liked this post
    Blog Entries

Keep going back to that shop. That is a great service that it provided for you. Not too many shops will do a weld for you.

Dennis