New Rio Fly Line: Perception

jaybo41

Reaction score
I was looking at Rio's website today and found a new line they've just introduced very recently. Rio Perception. It will be interesting to get feedback on how it performs and which rods provide a nice match for it.

RIO PERCEPTION
Unprecedented casting control and instantaneous feel. The trout line redefined.

From Rio's Website:

Our revolutionary RIO Perception floating trout line helps anglers connect with more fish than ever before. Built with ultra-low stretch ConnectCore Technology, Perception lines provide groundbreaking levels of sensitivity for intuitively better cast timing, easier line lift and sharp, precise mends. Lack of stretch also means enhanced detection of subtle takes and faster reaction time when setting the hook. Our exclusive SureFire color system (RIO’s uniquetri-color distance measure) improves casting accuracy by making it easy to gauge exact distances with a quick glance.
Unique three-color SureFire system ensures deadly accurate distance control
ConnectCore improves casting timing, hook set and mending
EasyID tag to quickly identify fly line"

Here's a link to the webpage if you want to look over the specs.

RIO Gold - Freshwater Fly Lines | RIO

troutnut4

Reaction score
Yes,I will certainly be interested in hearing some feedback on this new product. For the time being I believe it's all marketing hype... IMHO. I would rather see prices on their existing lines lowered a bit.

Troutnut4

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I too have read about it. What differentiates it from their other lines is that, like Airflo, it is built on a very low stretch core material. Its taper diagram appears to be more or less conventional weight forward with a short rear taper.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I too have read about it. What differentiates it from their other lines is that, like Airflo, it is built on a very low stretch core material. Its taper diagram appears to be more or less conventional weight forward with a short rear taper.
I was waiting for your thoughts and opinion on it. Those are the items I picked up on as well. The low stretch core material sounded similar to Airflo to me as well. I wonder if it's the conventional PVC their other lines seem to use or if they've gone to Polyurethane? The taper of the line seemed rather unimpressive and fairly standard to me. The price seems a bit on the high side, though I suspect they would need to offset the R&D one way or another.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I am sure it is hard to maintain consitancy but have you noted that in the line data...good as it is comparativly, RIO gives grains of first 30' or head weight or both...hard to do apples to apples. I do feel the low stretch core in Airflo's gives a bit of a kick as the line straightens and the nylon core lines (up to 30% stetch) smooth things out under load. There is a sharpness to the non stretch though...nothing is simple and it is hard to quantify and qualify the comparative merits of each. Surely, as we learn more this will be a forum topic (if this isn't already!).

dean_mt

Reaction score
I am sure it is hard to maintain consitancy but have you noted that in the line data...good as it is comparativly, RIO gives grains of first 30' or head weight or both...hard to do apples to apples.
I did notice this. I sure with they would list the first 30' weight for this line so we could compare it to the AFTMA standard and see where the line falls. Rio lists all the weights for the popular Gold and Grande lines and I'd like to know how much "over-weighted" this new line is, because the head weight is definitely over.

kuch

Reaction score
I did notice this. I sure with they would list the first 30' weight for this line so we could compare it to the AFTMA standard and see where the line falls. Rio lists all the weights for the popular Gold and Grande lines and I'd like to know how much "over-weighted" this new line is, because the head weight is definitely over.
I inquired to Rio about the weight and they claim that Perception is a half size heavy. Similar to the old Grand. I am still scratching my head over bumping Grand up a full line weight and still calling it by the same name.

enolaeagle

Reaction score
I inquired to Rio about the weight and they claim that Perception is a half size heavy. Similar to the old Grand. I am still scratching my head over bumping Grand up a full line weight and still calling it by the same name.
You're right. They should change it to Rio - Grand-a-licious :D

wjc

Reaction score
Troutnut said:
For the time being I believe it's all marketing hype... IMHO.
Sounds like a pretty good assesment to me. For instance, very carefully analysing the comment below......

Rio Says:: said:
Lack of stretch also means enhanced detection of subtle takes

How subtle can a take be that is powerful enough to stretch a fly line????

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
wjc, Have you sampled an Airflo Tropic Ridge in Florida? One of my bonefish rods, the Scott S4s #8, loves that line and I fished it for a week in Acklands Island. It shot like a bullet which many Ridge lines do (not always a good thing for all rods surprisingly enough) and the coating held up to the tropical heat very well. Main thing is, and it difficult to be objective about this, I felt the minimal stretch core was advantageous in hook setting on longer presentations. Of course, I was using a low stretch, hand built Fluorocarbon leader tapered to 12 to 15 lb. tippet...little trout fishing analogy here.

Setting a dry fly on 5 or 6X with a nylon (I dislike fluoro for dry flies) leader, I believe a controlled bit of stretch is advantageous. The hollow braided nylon core as found in SA trout lines mated to a hollow braided nylon butt leader, as sold by Orvis, tapered to 5' of 5X has plenty of controlled stretch in it even in a short presentation. Only in the longest downstream dead drift, slack line feed might this inherent stretchability be too much for a positive hook set.

Now that a mainstream manufacturer (Airflo is gaining market presence but is still a niche player compared to SA and RIO) has introduced a low stretch core basic line, surely specialty tapers will follow, we will learn more about appropriate applications of this technology trout fishing. Combined with a flexible nylon braided or nylon furled leader this could be the next big thing or people will be popping flies off in trout's mouths all over the place. Maybe it will offer quicker reaction time to blind fishing nymphs or salmon egg flies. Likely some will embrace it and some will abhor it, like with textured lines. I was told by a well known tournament caster that on long casts he can plainly feel the stretch or lack there of during long false casts in comparing the different core materials. Casting/Fishing, Fresh/Salt...it is a brave new world.

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
That new rio perception appears to have one of those power tapers, like a rio grand, or orvis power taper, being that it has multiple front and rear tapers. Doesn't look like anything special to me other than the color change and low-strech core like airflo. However, as of now, airflo is the only company that makes lines out of polyurathane, I can tell you I have airflo lines that are 6-7 years old without a single crack in the material, none of my sci-angler, rio or orvis lines have lasted nearly as long and in such good condition. I say, do yourself a flavor and go airflo. Also, airflo pioneered the mainstream low strech core, rio only just started doing that, the process of processing core material and preparing it is a delicate science, airflo has been doing it for years and rio just started so my guess is, airflo's core will be done better than rio's. My humble opinion and 2 cents.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I too like Airflo lines and their tapers have come a long way in the last few years due largely to Tim Rajeff and Renee Harrop. But do not underestimate RIO. Besides the resources they have behind them they have, running the business since acquiring it from the Vincents, John Harder. Almost nobody knows more about tackle, especially reels and lines, than he does. He has the background, history and experience to do anything another maker has done better.

wjc

Reaction score
Sweet&Salt said:
Have you sampled an Airflo Tropic Ridge in Florida?
I bought two spools of tropical running line three or four years ago was all, since that's what I wear out. I spliced some onto an SA head but it wasn't really tropical enough for me and was too limp. I like the hard monocores down here.

I also didn't like the noise of the splice going through the guides - even though functionally it doesn't matter much at all.

But just a short ways up the coast, Ft. Lauderdale and north, it is one of the most popular lines for beach fishing among friends who fish nearly daily.