Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Saltwater and freshwater

Hey I just picked up a 9ft 8wt for light saltwater and bass fishing and was wondering what is the best line to get that I can use in both. Fishing off the coast of Maine and nh and just ponds and lakes for bass.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Saltwater and freshwater

What are the locals using there? Did you get any recommendations from a local shop?

My gut feeling is to get a head heavy weight forward line like a bass taper. It will allow you to kick over large flies. The core should be versatile enough for your warm water conditions and the cooler coastal waters.

Dennis

Rio Outbound.

I'm using a Jim Teeny Big Fly taper WF line and I'm very pleased with it. It'll handle large bass bugs and saltwater flies for you easily.
    1/2

======================================
    Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.

I use regular WF line, In fact I use cheap $10 factory seconds.
    For salt water I always overline to compensate for the wind and bulky flies but even with bass lines way I customize my lines to the rod.
    Weight forward lines have a level section of 6" - 8" inches or more of a level tip in front of the forward taper. Trimming this back moves the "weight forward" - "forward" fundamentally turning a regular weight forward into a bass or saltwater taper.
    You can do this a bit at a time "tuning" your line to the the rod or just wack a chunk off and hope for the best (like me )

Like I said, I do this to lines that I pick up cheap. I wouldn't think to recommend this for a $60-$100 line. But then..... I don't need those kind of lines
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Watch eBay for bargains, if you're so inclined. I picked up a Scientific Anglers WF line off eBay for my 6-wt rod this week. $15 and free shipping. Just spooled it onto the reel tonight; weather permitting I might try it tomorrow.
    1/2

======================================
    Jesus said, "Go fishing!" (Luke 5:4). He said nothing about monthly reports, budgets, cost variances, manpower planning, or orders forecasts.

Wood river almost has it right...rio outbound SHORT.....is the one.
    But I'm in Maine and do have a new in the box cortland precision striped bass WF9F for sale ....$35 delivered.