Bass Taper Line from Bass Pro

flyfishing_freek

Reaction score
Got the Bass Taper fly line from bass pro. Weight forward. What if after tying on multiple different leaders I come to the thicker part of the line. Is it ok to continue? New to fly fishing. Any help is great

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Here is what you do.

Tie a foot and a half of 30 to 40 pound test to the end of the fly line. That is called a butt section. Tie a Perfection Loop on the end of the butt section. From there, you can do a loop to loop connection between the butt section and the leader.

Dennis

flyfishing_freek

Reaction score
How long should the leader be? Flourocarbon leader? Will this type of set up work with all flies and for pike, bass, muskie, and saltwater gamefish?

caseywise

Reaction score
i always make my leader 6" longer than the length of my rod.
9' rod= 9'6" leader.
take a look at furled leaders with a mono tippet.
if you can find "utah fly goddess" on a google search,
she makes fine furled leaders.

casey

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
General rule of leaders - I'm not sure if there is one. Some say one to one and a half size of your rod length. Some say it depends on the fish that you are throwing flies at and the sizes of the flies that you intend on fishing for. I lean towards the latter.

As for leader material, choose the one best for conditions. If I plan on fishing areas with a lot of snags (downed trees, rocks, coral), I would use fluorocarbon. It is more abrasion resistant than monofilament. If snags are not an issue, or I am fishing topwater, or the fish are not leader shy, I fish monofilament. With some of the toothy fish that you wish to encounter, you may want some wire tippet.

Dennis

Rip Tide

Reaction score
How long should the leader be? Flourocarbon leader? Will this type of set up work with all flies and for pike, bass, muskie, and saltwater gamefish?
For those fish you actually want a leader that's shorter than the rod's length and here's why.
First of all, all those fish that you mentioned are not at all leader shy. You're not going to scare them with a shorter leader...and for the same reason, you don't need fluoro either
Second, the flies that you'll be using are of a size where a shorter leader will preform much better than a longer one.
Third, with a leader that's shorter than the rod, you don't have to worry about the line/leader knot getting stuck in the guides when you're trying to land a large fish. Believe me, something like that will ruin your day.

think trout

Reaction score
If your going to fish poppers you don't need a tapered leader at all, just 6 ft. of your favorite mono will turn them over just fine. My favorite leader material is Maxima Ultra Green fishing line. I haven't used tippet material in years, and the only difference I can see is the price. I usually nail knot a piece of 30 lbs. mono to the fly line and then make a perfection loop, about 6 inches in length is enough. I've been using this method for years and never had a problem. I got this information from a Lefty kreh article.