Tropical Lines Question

von behr

Reaction score
I'll be fishing in the Tampa area at the end of August and was wondering if I will need a tropical line in the heat, or can I use what I already have?

I currently have a 300-grain S/A Streamer Express and a 9-wt. Rio Versi Tip line with interchangeable 15-ft heads. I also have the Sage largemouth bass taper line.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-VB

half fast

Reaction score
I suspect it will depend on how you're fishing. If you're boat fishing with a pile of line lying on the boat deck, ready to shoot, for a long time while you scout for a fish, the line will get quite hot in the sun and you may want a tropical line.

OTOH, if you're wading and your line is in the water most of the time, it won't get too hot and what you have will probably be fine.

von behr

Reaction score
I just order an Outbound short tropical floating line in 8 wt. and an Outbound short tropical intermediate line in 9 wt. I'm looking forward to putting them to the test soon.

Thanks for the advice.

-VB :):):)

Reaction score
I use a few of the Outbound lines but haven't tried the tropical version. Do do you like them?

Last edited:

Sep

Reaction score
I just order an Outbound short tropical floating line in 8 wt. and an Outbound short tropical intermediate line in 9 wt. I'm looking forward to putting them to the test soon.
I fished the Outbound Tropical Short in Mexico earlier this year and, depending on the temperature, either loved it or hated it, often both in the span of a couple of hours.

Got out early on the Sea of Cortez, boat, and during the cooler mornings the stuff coiled up in maddening style, knotting the stripped line enough to make me want to pitch the whole thing in the gulf. But as the day warmed, and later in the week on the beaches, the line performed like a champ.

Be sure to stretch it out good before using.

So, I guess, I'm suggesting you take a couple of spools if you expect the temps to vary significantly. Tropical for the heat of the day, something a bit stiffer for cool mornings. (Cool defined as under 80).

Edit: Just checked the box and the RIO Tropical Outbound Short is suggested for 75-100 degrees.

Mike

Last edited:

von behr

Reaction score
I fished the Outbound Tropical Short in Mexico earlier this year and, depending on the temperature, either loved it or hated it, often both in the span of a couple of hours.

Got out early on the Sea of Cortez, boat, and during the cooler mornings the stuff coiled up in maddening style, knotting the stripped line enough to make me want to pitch the whole thing in the gulf. But as the day warmed, and later in the week on the beaches, the line performed like a champ.

Be sure to stretch it out good before using.

So, I guess, I'm suggesting you take a couple of spools if you expect the temps to vary significantly. Tropical for the heat of the day, something a bit stiffer for cool mornings. (Cool defined as under 80).

Mike
Looks like there's a definite threshold to look out for. I'll bring my Sage LMB taper as well, just in case. Now you really made me curious to see how these lines will perform. I'll be sure to report back when I return.

-VB

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

So true and conversally a tropical line in cold weather turns into the return of SLINKEY! Found out the hard way Steelheading!
That doesn't sound like fun. I'll have to remember to switch out the lines when I get back.

Thanks,

-VB

wjc

Reaction score
This post is probably too late. For the Tampa region, I'd go with a braided core tropical line and not a hard mono core line. The hard mono core lines are best suited for extended periods of baking in the sun on a skiff deck and are hard to control otherwise.

They also have a greater tendency to coil and twist than braided core lines regardless of temperature.

You'll have to check the specs on each different line as Rio, SA and probably others make both types.

von behr

Reaction score
I got my reels loaded up with Rio tropical lines for the Florida trip at the end of the month. I put the Outbound Short Intermediate on my Super 9, and the Tropical Clouser floating on my Super 8. I'll post a trip report when I get back.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 PM ----------

This post is probably too late. For the Tampa region, I'd go with a braided core tropical line and not a hard mono core line. The hard mono core lines are best suited for extended periods of baking in the sun on a skiff deck and are hard to control otherwise.

They also have a greater tendency to coil and twist than braided core lines regardless of temperature.

You'll have to check the specs on each different line as Rio, SA and probably others make both types.
Jim,

From what I could find out on their website, the Rio tropical lines have braided cores.

Thanks for the information and advice.

-VB :):)

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

I use a few of the Outbound lines but haven't tried the tropical version. Do do you like them?
I haven't tried them yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. My trip to the Gulf Coast of Florida is at the end of August.

-VB :):)

wjc

Reaction score
VB,
It's hard keeping track of who makes what anymore, and it is compounded by manufacturers listing the same lines under more than one name like "bonefish taper" and "tropical express" or something.

Rio's solid, hard mono core lines do indeed appear to be in the large sizes, Tarpon and Billfish lines. The last flats lines I bought in 7 and 8 weights with solid hard mono cores were SA lines. The Cortland Liquid clear lines are also sold mono core lines in sizes 10 and heavier anyhow. I don't know about the lighter ones, but I would assume so.

As for the stickiness due to drying salt, you can either keep the stripped line wet a bucket with a little water in it or strip it onto a wet towel on the deck. It does help it to shoot much better, especially if in a bucket , and not much water is needed. So I just dump in fresh water.

Good luck on your Tampa trip, and let us know what you think of your line selection.