Sticky Fly Line

enolaeagle

Reaction score
I had my 10w out today for bass and it has Rio Mainstream (Saltwater fly line). The fella at Bass pro told me that this line is ok to use for warm water river fishing... It was pretty hot today and the line was sticky. It was twining up so when I'd shoot it, it would stop as soon as a knot hit the guide.

I don't like the line. Any suggestions for a 10w line that will perform well during a hot day?or is that pretty normal?

swampdonkey

Reaction score
I'm not saying this is your problem but probably worth investigating. I've bought a new line before that needed to be cleaned out of the box. Also some waters seem to foul a line more quickly then others. I'd give it a good wash with warm soapy water and maybe treat it with fly line dressing then give it a test run. Sometimes that can make a world of difference.

I've found that some rivers or still waters require line cleaning after each use.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Swampdonkey has step 1 covered. Cleaning and then treating your line is the first thing I'd do too. Question: How did it perform the first 2 times out?

Shy of looking at a line that's better suited for warmer temps that's going to be your best bet. I know it's been hot here in PA for a while, but unless you can get mileage beyond warm temps with a different line, I'd probably hold off on a tropical line. However, a line like an SA Textured line or Ridge Line from Airflo might do a little better since there would be less surface touching the guides.

This thread might be worth a read:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/324591-tropical-lines-question.html

enolaeagle

Reaction score
First 2 times was fine but that was before the heatwave. I had my 5w out the other day with new line on a hotter day with no issues.

L

Liphookedau

I was going to ask about The Water conditions as sometimes you don't know what's on/in the water.
Cleaning should really help however be careful there's nothing in the water which will damage your Line as sticky substances are usually harmful to Fly Lines.
Brian.

enolaeagle

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Chris from Rio. I explained the situation and he's had similar experience with conditions in Wisconsin. He says that I have the wrong line for the job and recommends the Rio Tropical General Purpose fly line because the coatings are much different, however, since the line is designed to work between temps of 75-100 degrees we both agreed that an extra spool with a bass/muskie freshwater line may be an option for the spring and fall months.:teef:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Yup, that's what you need to do. Throw more money at it.
I swear if you had a cheap, general purpose line, you would not be having this problem.

enolaeagle

Reaction score
I only posted his response and not what I was going to do. I wanted to see how many call BS on a sales pitch...

I'm not really an "extra spool" guy with tons of line for any application but I can see where his point lead to the difference in weather here in Pa.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The weather in Pennsylvania is the definition of "average"
Anybody that tells you different is pullin' your chain.

I call BS.... big time

jaybo41

Reaction score
I don't know what's "average" these days as crazy as the weather is, but I do know this: Buying a tropical line for PA stream/river fishing is nothing I would consider, that's just a waste in my opinion, given that our weather is hardly tropical for the majority of the year. You may have bought the wrong line in that the coatings on that particular line of fly line may not be as tolerant as some of the others in extreme conditions, but for the bulk of the year, I'm sure it will fish just fine here in PA. Then again, who knows, other freshwater lines may not have held up well either. This heat wave has been brutal.

You may have hit the peak/extreme conditions with that line, or perhaps not. I'm still in the camp that a good cleaning & good dressing are in order. 3 times may or may not make a difference in how dirty the line is. I haven't fished the Suskie but as you noted, the water quality is not exactly clean.

I don't consider the response BS. Without knowing all the details, it seems the response provided came from the line manufacturer, of course they are going to recommend another fly line more appropriate for those conditions. Whether you choose to act upon that is entirely up to you.

Sometimes in my line of business, I am asked to provide recommendations to customers that are faced with a challenge. Sometimes they like what I have to say, other times I'm sure they don't. I stand behind what I recommend taking into account their given situation and the options available to them. Of course they are able to look at 3rd party options, act on my recommendations or do nothing at all and make what they have work.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
+1 on giving the line a good cleaning, but my 'call' is they sold you the wrong type of line from the 'git-go.' The coatings on tropical lines are very different than that used on a 'cold water' line.
No doubt. They never should have sold you that line for your fishing needs. I'd take it back.

enolaeagle

Reaction score
There's no two ways to look at it.
The guy was lying through his teeth just trying to make a sale.
I think that part of it is that they don't have tons of variations in product for a 10weight.
For instance- if I was only going to purchase Rio, here's what else they have...

Power Fly
Muskie/Pike

He did mention that those 2 lines do over power the tropical as far as head weight and may not be a great match since I'm more in the bass/muskie niche... Its too much for a smaller fly and I'm not really throwing 14" flies for muskie. The river muskie here will eat anything down to a mini rebel crayfish lure (I know from experience)

I also looked at Jim Teeny's big bass bug fly line and thought id give a call for more info on that product. I will clean the line I have though and see what happens on the next outing.

Weather here has been a bit extreme though, especially with the humidity. It seems worse than past years and now we're basically a part of tornado alley and catching tons of hurricane aftermath... I don't ever remember the weather being so weird around here.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
What is the temp of the water? Not the air. The fly line is in the water most of the time.

Go to RIO's own web page and go through the Line Selector - there is absolutely no way - ever - that a tropical line is coming up on the selector for what you're looking to do with your 10 wt. Your comment about their limited offerings on the 10 wt was something that immediately came to my mind, "they must have not had many choices in stock."

enolaeagle

Reaction score
At 98deg, the water would be around 89. It was like bath water and some of the channels have cooler spirts.

I actually did their line selector a few times and it kept showing non-compatible. I'll try again.

pa dave

Reaction score
Maybe too over simplistic on my part, but does your bug repellant contain DEET? It does bad things to the coatings on fly lines. I'm 99% sure you already know that, but on the off chance I thought I'd mention it.