Cool Water Trout Line for 5 wt. Sage XP?

sneltyr

Reaction score
I am interested in a heavier line for my Sage XP 5wt. I have a feeling that the rod would be happier with a heavier or even a 6wt. line. I was thinking SA GPX or similar.

Fishing on the 5wt. XP is all Spring & Summer in Colorado.

Please give me your thoughts.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I use a Rio Gold 5wt on my 9'6" 5wt XP and I love it. Generates great line speed, shoots line amazingly, casts dries very accurately 40-50' also handles streamers quite well.

This is a new rod to me this spring. I was a pretty persistent "moderate" slow action rod guy, a Sage SLT 9' 4 wt being my rod of choice for the past 10 years or so. I say "was" because the XP has really opened my eyes. I took the SLT out for some small river fishing last weekend and I really had to readjust my expectation of the cast. I still love the slow cast and deep bending rod, but I now appreciate the accuracy and line control that a fast rod like the XP offers.

I think you would loose a lot of that by over lining to a 6 wt.

sneltyr

Reaction score
On XP #5 I prefer RIO Gold or SA Mastery Expert Distance Taper.
Is there a reason the two above are better than a textured line? Just asking because I don't know.

I need to take a couple pics of the 2 lines I'm using and see if you guys can help me identify. I failed to put the stickers on the spools & lost track.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have no issue with the Mastery Textured or Airflo Ridge lines and love the SA Trout(Stalker) on my spring creek 4-weight (see review in the gear review section). However, I select a line to match a rod by correct loading weight and, especially, taper design. Both Gold & Expert Distance are extended head with elongated rear taper designs which are optimal for a powerful presentation rod like XP, Z-Axis and now ONE. They offer enhanced loop stability at distance and articulate presentation in close(ish) unlike GPX which hinges at distance and is clunky at more moderated distances. GPX is also nearly a full size heavy so at any distance it dulls tip response of the above rods which are all known for their classic Sage sharply responsive tips. Of course I am talking dry flies here...GPX, I assume, would be fine for bobber drifting. I wouldn't know about that.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
Of course I am talking dry flies here...GPX, I assume, would be fine for bobber drifting. I wouldn't know about that.
Agree on the GPX for dry fly fishing. I use it only for multi nymph rigs and streamers. It's a lousy dry fly presentation line by all accounts. In those instances, I prefer the Mastery Trout Stalker line out now. That is one fine fly line and I use it on my 3 and 4 weights, which I use for almost all my dry fly fishing. I've never used the Expert Distance line. I might have to consider that line for one of my reels.

Cheers,
Mike.

sneltyr

Reaction score
I forgot to mention I don't do much dry fly fishing - some drift, hopper/dropper, nymphing & the streamer (using a different rod)

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

If I head out to dry fly fish I just take my 4wt and carry two rigs.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I forgot to mention I don't do much dry fly fishing - some drift, hopper/dropper, nymphing & the streamer (using a different rod)

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

If I head out to dry fly fish I just take my 4wt and carry two rigs.
I guess you never mentioned where you fish and the kind of fishing you do, that makes a difference.

So you want to use the XP 5wt more for just nymphing? In that case I cannot advise on the line differences, I'm the kind of fisherman that changes flies and approaches to suit the demands and conditions so many days I will high-stick with nymphs through pocket water, then switch to wets and dries when the fish begin to rise on calm water.

Like I mentioned above, I was pretty insistent about fishing only my "medium" action SLT 4 wt for dry fly fishing. I'm asking you now, don't shun that 5wt XP to only nymph fishing, you will be missing out!

Last edited:

sneltyr

Reaction score
So you want to use the XP 5wt more for just nymphing? In that case I cannot advise on the line differences, I'm the kind of fisherman that changes flies and approaches to suit the demands and conditions so many days I will high-stick with nymphs through pocket water, then switch to wets and dries when the fish begin to rise on calm water.

Like I mentioned above, I was pretty insistent about fishing only my "medium" action SLT 4 wt for dry fly fishing. I'm asking you now, don't shun that 5wt XP to only nymph fishing, you will be missing out!
Thanks much! I'm not opposed to dry fly fishing on the XP. It just that most of my fly fishing for trout is done nymphing, hopper/dropper or fishing dry flys with a dropper. One of my favorites is fishing the Elk Hair Caddis with a dropper. What I really haven't done that much is fish with a dry fly "by itself". Sorry if I was confusing. I love my XP rods. I have 2 5wt and one 4wt. I was lucky and got them all for 1/2 price when they were on close out.

jborn

Reaction score
I have to agree with Chi about SA Mastery Textured WF 5 WT GPX. I have that line on my 5 wt XP and it is wonderful. I was amazed how well it casts.

jlb