Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: RIO DC Sink tip line - what weight?

1. Default RIO DC Sink tip line - what weight?

I am looking to buy a sink tip line for my 5 wt - which can handle a 6 wt line fine. The Rio sink tip lines are rated in grains 150, 200, etc. I am not finding how thes lines rate to get something like a normal 6 wt line. Any help is appreciated.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default Re: RIO DC Sink tip line - what weight?

An educated guess only as the sink tips I use are all Teeny Nymphs. But my guess is up to 250 grains, I wouldn't recommend anything heavier with a 5wt. That said, shoot RIO a e-mail (or call, I think they have an 800 number) and give the info on your rod.

You'll find them to be most responsive.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Smile Re: RIO DC Sink tip line - what weight?

For my Winston b2mx 5wt I use 150 grain sink tip,for my Winston b2mx 6wt I use 200 grain sink tip.

Go with the 150gr. Throwing a 200gr on a 5wt gets tricky. A 200gr is great for 6-7wts. What rod exactly is it?

I agree with the 150gr unless you have a super fast stiff 5wt. I use the same line in the salt and use the 200gr on my 7wt and the 300gr my 10wt. The only issue i have with these line is the running line likes to tangle unless you give them a good stretch when they first come off the reel. They cast nice and get deep quick.
    Jim
    I don't always fly fish but when I do I prefer salt water. Stay salty my freinds

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Red face Re: RIO DC Sink tip line - what weight?

Have to 'adjust my answer.' I agree with the Fellows above, 150 would be 'tops.' Thinking about a 5wt 2hander which has ZIP to do with a single hander.

MY BAD.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

7. Likes MoscaPescador liked this post
  8. Default Re: RIO DC Sink tip line - what weight?

I have a 9' 5 wt Orvis Access 'tip flex'. Most of my casts will not be very long (smaller rivers). Right now, my floating 5 wt needs medium to longer length casts to work the rod how I like. I am going to try a 6 wt line for smaller rivers / shorter casting.

So, it sounds like I should try the 150 grain for the sink tip.

Thanks for the replies!

Tight lines!

Keep in mind that these lines have a short head length and load well with not a lot of line out.

I have used a 200 and 250 on #6 and #7 Redington rods and will say that you will want to go with the 150 like others posted. You will not go wrong with it!