Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie: Budget lines, half-weight lines, off-brands, etc.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie: Budget lines, half-weight lines, off-brands, etc.

Hi Greg,
    Give Liz or Don at Angler's Edge in Gardnerville a call. Ask them if they have any closeout lines or what they would recommend for an inexpensive option. They have been in the business for a number of years and are good resources.

Dennis

Thanks for the info Mosca. One of my coworkers told me about them but I rarely head that direction. May be time for a special trip down.

Newbie........I am as conservative as anyone else........with a daughter in college, I have to be.......but I want you to consider the cost of a flyline vs. the years you will use it.........good lines will last and perform..........cheap lines will last a few trips until you throw them in the trash.........I never skimp on flylines.......I skimped once and only once....and will never again....my two cents.......
    yonder

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

Quote Originally Posted by yonder View Post
    ......but I want you to consider the cost of a flyline vs. the years you will use it.........good lines will last and perform..........cheap lines will last a few trips until you throw them in the trash.........
    I have a $15 private label line on one of my reels that's over 30 years old. I bought it in 1982
    I haven't used that reel in a while, but that line has not one crack in it. Not one.
    Don't expect expensive lines to last longer just because they cost more.
    That's not how it works.
    I have at least 9 lines that were $10 or less..... no issues in both fresh and salt water. Some after at least 10 years
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I have a $15 private label line on one of my reels that's over 30 years old. I bought it in 1982
    I haven't used that reel in a while, but that line has not one crack in it. Not one.
    Don't expect expensive lines to last longer just because they cost more.
    That's not how it works.
    I have at least 9 lines that were $10 or less..... no issues in both fresh and salt water. Some after at least 10 years
    Any line will last a long time if it's not being used....(your words).......I will agree to that!!
    yonder

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton

Quote Originally Posted by yonder View Post
    Any line will last a long time if it's not being used....(your words).......I will agree to that!!
    Don't imagine that I don't use my lines or misinterpret what I have to say.

That $15 4wt line that I bought in 1982 was fished hard for many years and was my most used trout line until around 1996.
    There's also a 6WF that was used regularly since about that time, and a few saltwater intermediate lines and bass tapers nearly that old.
    Just because you don't have experience with value lines doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. You shouldn't believe and repeat everything that you read on the internet.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Don't imagine that I don't use my lines or misinterpret what I have to say.

That $15 4wt line that I bought in 1982 was fished hard for many years and was my most used trout line until around 1996.
    There's also a 6WF that was used regularly since about that time, and a few saltwater intermediate lines and bass tapers nearly that old.
    Just because you don't have experience with value lines doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. You shouldn't believe and repeat everything that you read on the internet.
    OK...........thanks for the tip..........Have a great day Rip..........
    yonder

I've used expensive lines ($60 and up) but have found bargain lines ($20 or so) do just as well. At least I don't notice a difference or catch more fish with them. Either I'm really good or I'm consistently really bad.

Here's another source for value ($15) lines -

global dorbeR group

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

I'm limited to a few cheap lines in my time. And Aquanova lines seem to be worth every penny and then some. I have one that's been going longer than any of the top fly lines on the market I've bought.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast