Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Fly line for sage one reservoir fishing

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forums but the information here has been extremely helpful for a variety of topics. Anyways, I'm looking for recommended lines for fishing on a very rocky reservoir in varying 25 mph head wind conditions.

I just bought a Sage One using a Mastery Textured Series GPX floating line. It seems to work ok, but was a struggle to cast deep Clouser minnows (chasing white bass and wipers).

I am considering a sinking line, but will be trout fishing on the lake soon. Any recommendations and explanations would really help me out. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fly line for sage one reservoir fishing

I have the SA Textured line on my Sage One 10 ft 5 wt and that line will cast, but as you said you are looking for a good sinking line, I can't make a recommendation but agree with your thought process, for stillwaters I would recommend getting a good sinking line.

Larry
    Larry

Whats your water depth? How many other lakes, reservoirs are you going to be fishing? How much are you going to be fishing stillwater?
    I use intermediate, type 2 Wet Cell, type 3 density compensated, type 3 Wet Cell, type 5 and 7 DC.
    I fish lakes and reservoirs 10 to 50'+ deep.
    For starters, I would try intermediate and/or type 3 DC.
    You could also try sink tip. Again depends on water depth. Intermediate or type 3.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by comicho View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forums but the information here has been extremely helpful for a variety of topics. Anyways, I'm looking for recommended lines for fishing on a very rocky reservoir in varying 25 mph head wind conditions.

I just bought a Sage One using a Mastery Textured Series GPX floating line. It seems to work ok, but was a struggle to cast deep Clouser minnows (chasing white bass and wipers).

I am considering a sinking line, but will be trout fishing on the lake soon. Any recommendations and explanations would really help me out. Thank you!
    What weight rod are you using?

I am using Rio Intouch Deep Class V for my stillwater reservoir fishing, fishing with the buzzers, leeches and crawfish patterns. It will get the fly down deep quickly without the belly.

I don't think it will be good for streamer fishing since it will NOT keep your fly in the same depth for along time. For the streamers in the stillwater reservoir, I go with the floating line with sinking floro leader, or even a sinking tip line. An intermediate line will do fine as well.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

6. Default Re: Fly line for sage one reservoir fishing

Thanks for the responses! I'm using a 6 wt, fishing in depths no greater than 15'. All the fishing I do is on still water by the bank (live in Kansas).

With that information, I'd try an Intermediate Clear Camo line and see how it goes. Sooner or later you'll get to the zone. If you can I'd also try a type 3 sink tip.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

My favorite line for my 9' #6 Sage One in a stillwater/reservoir situation is the Rio Streamer Tip - with the clear intermediate tip. This line is a bit "heavy", probably at least a full line weight, but chucks streamers and crawdad patterns perfectly. Even though it is a "heavy" line doesn't seem to overload the One too much. This extra weight also helps to buck the wind as well. Might be worth a try.