AirFlo Super-Dri Elite

craigthor

Reaction score
Got my 2 wt line out to play with yesterday and have to say I am really liking the feel and action of this line. Wasn't the full experience as my 2wt rod won't be here till Monday so I was using my 6'6" 3wt SFT for testing.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I observed it all day. He was tossing an underlined rod while he awaits his custom, often in a fair breeze. The line lays down on the water ridiculously nice. If it performs that way when its sub freezing, I am seriously considering asking Santa for a spool.

craigthor

Reaction score
I observed it all day. He was tossing an underlined rod while he awaits his custom, often in a fair breeze. The line lays down on the water ridiculously nice. If it performs that way when its sub freezing, I am seriously considering asking Santa for a spool.
:wavetowel only one way to find out. lol

I have consider buying this line . Is it a true line wt?
Honestly not sure how to tell, guessing would be by using a grain scale which I don't have. Here is the AirFlo site info Airflo Ridge Super-Dri Elite Reel

This line floated really well stayed up top and could cast tiny 18-20's with easy even in the wind.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I have consider buying this line . Is it a true line wt?
Billy, I would recommend real research because the stuff isn't cheap. FWIW, my hunch is slightly heavy like most lines. Almost as much range as the 3WT silk he was tossing last week. His 3WT Orvis 6-6 "ice fishing rod" was handling it pretty well. It just looks so much more supple than the 40 dollar stuff I toss. Lays down much like the Gucci silk line he liked last week. :)

Craig changes out gear about as often as most folks change their undies so stay tuned for future high end gear product reviews next week. :)

I got next Friday off if you want to demonstrate some 100 dollar tippet. :D

Last edited:

craigthor

Reaction score
Billy, I would recommend real research because the stuff isn't cheap. FWIW, my hunch is slightly heavy like most lines. Almost as much range as the 3WT silk he was tossing last week. His 3WT Orvis 6-6 "ice fishing rod" was handling it pretty well. It just looks so much more supple than the 40 dollar stuff I toss. Lays down much like the Gucci silk line he liked last week. :)

Craig changes out gear about as often as most folks change their undies so stay tuned for future high end gear product reviews next week. :)

I got net Friday off if you want to demonstrate some 100 dollar tippet. :D
I think this stuff lays out better than the Sylk I have been using though I will have to cut that darned loop and nail knot it on so it quits getting stuck in my guides. Also I think it casts a touch farther though it will be fun to get a calm day and see what it can do.

LOL gold spun 6x tippet in the works, though I do spend $15 for my tippet, but the Varivas Master Spec Mono has proven itself. :D

Someone has to do the hard testing of gear otherwise we won't know how well it does. :icon_wink

Next Friday looks promising so far on the weather with sun and cooler temps. Where do you want to go? I'll have to tie some mini buggers next week my order comes in Monday. Also you'll have to raid the tying drawer for some materials to play with.

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
Something you should consider with airflo lines is, yes they are expensive, but they will outlast any other line material out there due to the polyurethane material as opposed to PVC like every other manufacturer. I literally have an airflo line that is 6 years old and still performs like the day I bought it. So, really dollar per lifetime they are the best deal out there. Boom, you've been airflo'd!
P.S. I weighed my airflo super dri river & stream, and it weighed in at exactly 140 grains, that's balls on for the AFTTA standard 5 weight, can't beat that! Boom airflo'd

billyspey

Reaction score
I like Airflo lines ,the ridge that I have used in the past Zooms thru the guides , this will be my next new line.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Something you should consider with airflo lines is, yes they are expensive, but they will outlast any other line material out there due to the polyurethane material as opposed to PVC like every other manufacturer. I literally have an airflo line that is 6 years old and still performs like the day I bought it. So, really dollar per lifetime they are the best deal out there. Boom, you've been airflo'd!
P.S. I weighed my airflo super dri river & stream, and it weighed in at exactly 140 grains, that's balls on for the AFTTA standard 5 weight, can't beat that! Boom airflo'd
I got introduced to Airflo lines maybe 2 years ago and am becoming a convert. They sure seem to be more popular in the two handed angler circles. They don't seem to over market lines to a given species and often fly under the radar when folks are looking for new single hand lines. While that may be important to some (we've all seen those discussions that chastise companies about marketing) they've got other great qualities that are more worthy of consideration.

Love the PU coating as it is Deet resistant, holds up longer and won't crack like the PVC coatings can. This is huge for me given where I fish and the unfortunate necessity to sometimes apply Deet based insect repellants. They are also easier than PVC coated lines to make welded loops with if you happen to break yours.

They're right in line price wise and often less than some of the premium fly lines out there. Add to that the longevity of them and like thenewlushlife points out, they are a worthy investment.

BTW, the Whiz Lube line dressing by Airflo works wonderfully on their lines as you might suspect. I had been using Agent X on my Airflo lines and wasn't overly impressed with the results so I decided to try the Whiz Lube. Noticeable and significant improvement. That's not to say the Agent X is a bad product, I think it is likely formulated to work better with PVC lines and on the Rio or SA lines I use it on it works just fine.

I have Super-Dri Mend on the way to use for Steelies and am anxious to get it wet based on the glowing reviews their new line of lines seems to have garnered thus far.

craigthor

Reaction score
Got this out today on the new 2wt rod and am a huge fan of this line. Lays out super nicely and casts further than i need it to. Highly accurate and super slick. The new rod is a 7'6" 2wt custom, and I built a ~9' leader/ tippet combo for it. Ended up unspooling my reel when I got home and removing 1/3 of my backing as the spool was too full. I think this line is slightly longer than my 3wt line was as that is what I removed. Only more time will tell how well it will work in the long term.

Any recommended line cleaners/ line winders to unspool it for cleaning.

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
PU coating is proven to be much stronger than the standard PVC coatings of companies such as rio, sci-angler, wulff, cortland and many others. The airflo lines aren't just coated with polyurethane, they are made of it. This material is the strongest and longest lasting fly line material available to us. Something to think about while making fly line purchases.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Is it the PU coating that reduces the stretch of the line?
It is a proprietary low-stretch core material that is responsible for the very limited stretch of Airflo lines. Especially in the salt, this feature poses interesting advantages as when stripping and pausing a retrieve you have a remarkable direct connection with your fly for a strip-strike.

royalcoach

Reaction score
Hey gang.... any new chatter about these new lines ?

I would like to know if the Exceed is a 1/2 line wt heavier or what ?
And wondering if the Elite is true line wt specific ?
Don't really like the color of the Mend .....

I need new floaters for my 3, 4, and 5 wts this season.....

I fished a couple of Ridge Tactical lines the past 3 seasons...
The tips started to sink on both last season. Was going to go back to SA but those Ridge lines sure do cast nice !

Tight Lines !

craigthor

Reaction score
Hey gang.... any new chatter about these new lines ?

I would like to know if the Exceed is a 1/2 line wt heavier or what ?
And wondering if the Elite is true line wt specific ?
Don't really like the color of the Mend .....

I need new floaters for my 3, 4, and 5 wts this season.....

I fished a couple of Ridge Tactical lines the past 3 seasons...
The tips started to sink on both last season. Was going to go back to SA but those Ridge lines sure do cast nice !

Tight Lines !
I really like the SDE from Airflo, as for grain weight I never weighed mine though they always cast nice and smooth on the rods they were listed for. One thing to note if you purchase the DT version the front taper is actually longer than the WF version. The front taper in the WF version in a 6wt is 7.5' and the DT front taper is 14'. Just something to keep in mind. The DT version turned over trout flies very nicely.

I've also tried to email Airflo a couple of times about grain weights but have never heard anything back from them so if you have a scale that would be the best way to find out.

horsehead

Reaction score
Ran across this while trying to find grain weights for Airflo lines:

Rio, Airflo, SA Fly Lines: Review & Product Guide | The Caddis Fly: Oregon Fly Fishing Blog

Apparently he had company reps answering some questions, and this is what he said about weight:

"The majority of Airflo’s lines are built to AFTMA standard line ranges measuring the first 30’ of the head (attached). The exception is the 40+ which is weighted heavy to perform like an integrated shooting head. In most cases, you can simply match the line size to the rod size. The AirFlo 40+ works best on medium fast and fast, normal to stiff power rods. The AirFlo Sixth Sense and Ridge Technical lines are presentation lines and match well with slow action and medium action rods (but still perform fine on other rods). The AirFlo Tactical and AirFlo Impact perform best on medium-fast and fast rods."

Granted, this info is from 2011 and may be outdated, but could be helpful nonetheless.

wjc

Reaction score
I've been reading about airflow lines for a long time now on several forums and finally bought a used one off another forum "hardly used" for 25 bucks - a 12 wt. tropical, clear-tip floating. I've not yet cast it because I screwed up my back a few days ago, but have it readied for tarpon with strong connections on each end. It does not sound much like the Super-Dri at all. But I have no idea what generation line it is either.

I was amazed at how rubbery it is, how stretchy it is, and how thick the running line is (0.057") - 12 thou. thicker than my Leviathan running line (0.045"). It also compresses to 0.025" with a digital caliper whereas the Leviathan compress to only 0.040". So the Airflow loses 57% of its relaxed diameter upon compression compared to 11% for the Leviathan.

That is amazing to me. Nothing on Airflow's website indicates what kind of material it's made of, but it is very soft whatever it is. The solid mono core is clearly not hard mono core, nor a high breaking strength like the Leviathan.

I have a feeling I know why it was "hardly used" but will reserve judgement until I try it. Perhaps there is some reverse magic going on with it.

After I try it in the heat, I will post up what I think of it.

rapman

Reaction score
I had a Airflo Ridge line a few years back. it was the worst line I've ever owned for memory - it stayed coiled like a spring, particularly in the cold.

Curious if anyone else has found this too, or if they've fixed this problem.