Does line price dictate quality?

95chevy

Reaction score
I am looking into buying new line for my 5wt. The lone thats on there now is still fine but I don't like the way it casts. So I went to the cablelas website and looked at some line. And the prices seemee to be all over the place. Am I missing something here? Is the price a direct correlation to the quality of the line? And what is a good brand or series of line. I only uave one need and that is that I want it to be orange.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
I am looking into buying new line for my 5wt. The lone thats on there now is still fine but I don't like the way it casts. So I went to the cablelas website and looked at some line. And the prices seemee to be all over the place. Am I missing something here? Is the price a direct correlation to the quality of the line? And what is a good brand or series of line. I only uave one need and that is that I want it to be orange.

i think quality line makes a substantial difference. after going the cheap route for a few years i upgrade my rods to some nice rio line

the difference i could equate to driving with bald tires for so long and finally getting a new set

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
What are you currently using?

I have several old Scientific Angler Mastery Series DT 5's and 6 weight lines and they seem to work as a fly line should. Since I began fly casting I've used Gladding - Cortland - Orvis - Scientific Angler - Partridge - Rio - Air Flow, and Carron. All of those brands worked as I expected a fly line to.

Ard

95chevy

Reaction score
Right now I have what I assume is generic cabelas line since it was on there when I bought the combo.

silver creek

Reaction score
I think line taper (profile) is the key.

Expensive fly lines have better coatings to cast longer, last longer, and float higher. So tap the brains of those on this BB that have your fly rod and see what fly line they find performs the best for them.

As for me, I'm still using an old school Cortland 444 standard WF lines on my rods and I'm perfectly happy.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I would buy a Scientific Angler DT in the line weight specified on the rod. They have always worked fine by me and should for you too. I understand todays economy as well as anyone being that I am not in the top 2% but when considering a fly line I have never looked for the cheapest offerings. I've tried to be smart and not to pay more than needed just to fish a fly but some things are important. A good line is one of those things.

Ard

95chevy

Reaction score
Im not concerned about price really. Just wondering if the higher price really meant something. I will look at the scientific anglers line. Ive also read about t some of the rio lines being good.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have any of the Rio lines in regular configurations, mine is a Mid Spey 875 grain and it preforms well. When it comes to something like a DT 5 I've never had a problem with any that I've had from Cortland - SA or Orvis. I forgot to mention that in the past few years I took on a Hardy Mach DT 6 and one of their Mach Spey lines too. Both of them work perfectly also.

I read a lot of posts here about people changing lines every year or so. I believe that to a certain degree some folks are over thinking the line issue. Some of my light DT lines date back into the 1990's and I use them and they work as they did when new. When a line becomes covered with those tiny fractures / cracks, I dye it gray or coco brown and use them for streamer fishing. Having been involved with fly fishing since I was pretty young I have become immune to marketing to some extent. You may be surprised at how long a fly line will provide service.

Ard

95chevy

Reaction score
Im currently on cabelas website and I am having a hard time finding orange line. I can find a ton of yellow and green. Even mustard but not many (I saw one) orange.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Why orange? Is it a visibility thing? When fishing spooky fish I like subdued color lines. There is always disagreement on this subject but I can say with a high degree of certainty that when a bright line is false cast above water which contains fish that are wary, the flash of bright color from flying lines will announce your presence.

Often fish may continue feeding but nothing you try will coax one onto your fly. I believe this is the result of 'conditioning' the fish have been conditioned to a relationship between fly lines sailing overhead and being hooked by fraudulent floating bugs. As I said people disagree with my thoughts about this but I have always tried to put every possible advantage in my favor. Line color is one that I have control over. The results have always been favorable and I still use gray and brown on my DT lines for light rods.

Granted Spey lines are often brightly colored but due to the great differences between this style fly fishing and that which requires false casts, I don't get too bothered by it. I do however sometimes dye the front tapers of my lines to this day.

Ard

ia_trouter

Reaction score
...... Just wondering if the higher price really meant something.
New flyer here. I have purchased about 5 fly lines for various rods the past few months and there is a strong correlation between price and quality IMO. It's kind of like buying a new car. More money buys more car, but at some point you are likely paying a lot extra for a modest increase in performance gain. That applies to most things IMO.

I bought two cheap lines. They were decent I thought, then it got cooler outside and the line memory was just horrible. Line was useless so I didn't save any money going cheap. My minimum line price is now $40 unless I get it on sale. I will increase that someday when my casting ability warrants it.

95chevy

Reaction score
I like orange just for the visual aspect of it (person preference) but I do see what you mean by the fish seeing it. So maybe in that case what is the "best color"?

mojo

Reaction score
Im currently on cabelas website and I am having a hard time finding orange line. I can find a ton of yellow and green. Even mustard but not many (I saw one) orange.

Is there a reason you want an orange line? And my opinion on lines, and I've had lots of lines it comes down to 2 brands for me ( although I'd like to try the new Cortland Boss) Rio or my choice- SA Sharkskin or Mastery Textured. And as far as WF or DT, for me, I can swing it both ways.

T

turbineblade

Why orange? Is it a visibility thing? When fishing spooky fish I like subdued color lines. There is always disagreement on this subject but I can say with a high degree of certainty that when a bright line is false cast above water which contains fish that are wary, the flash of bright color from flying lines will announce your presence.

Often fish may continue feeding but nothing you try will coax one onto your fly. I believe this is the result of 'conditioning' the fish have been conditioned to a relationship between fly lines sailing overhead and being hooked by fraudulent floating bugs. As I said people disagree with my thoughts about this but I have always tried to put every possible advantage in my favor. Line color is one that I have control over. The results have always been favorable and I still use gray and brown on my DT lines for light rods.

Granted Spey lines are often brightly colored but due to the great differences between this style fly fishing and that which requires false casts, I don't get too bothered by it. I do however sometimes dye the front tapers of my lines to this day.

Ard
I'm sure this is true in some situations. On the other hand, you can take a brown/green sharpie and color the last several feet of your line if you want right?

I like the usual bright yellow lines because I feel that any possible spooking I might be doing is probably outweighed by how much more easily I can watch my backcast and loop unroll. I also often use the end of a floating line as a good "indicator" for sunfish. :) Other bright colors probably work fine too -- but by all means, this is just personal preference. Work on your cast first and foremost -- that's way more important than fly line color.

I own $9 fly lines and $75 fly lines, and some in between. The coating is a bit better on the higher-end lines and you can get some specialized tapers (I like the Rio trout LT for example for soft hackles), but for 90% of my fishing I don't care which line I'm using -- the $9 generic WF lines are just fine. If pressed, I could probably do everything fine with the $9 WF lines.

I don't think the price you pay on lines will really have much affect on how many fish you catch so long as you cast well and make good presentations, but I suppose it can affect your personal enjoyment -- and that's important for sure.

Beware of one thing: When learning, you'll be tempted to think "this rod/line/reel/etc. sucks" and then a few weeks of more practicing you'll come back to it and say "oh, I guess it's pretty good" ;). At least I did.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want to seem stubborn, or to disagree for the sake of trying to be right.............but, even at the age of 59 I can still spot my line even gray ones. My remarks and observations are referencing trout and those trout which are often seemingly uncatchable.

Once a line is floating on the surface film they all look the same from the fishes eye, it is when in the air on a sunny day that the color may influence your level of success. I do hope all who read this will understand that when I offer something, even something as simple as this, what I say is based on many years of practice and experiences. When I put something like line color 'maybe' spooking a wary trout, it is in an effort not to be 'right' but in trying to help someone avoid things that I believe affected my own success rate when learning. All these posts are the result of my trying to help people not to say that I'm correct.

I will let it go with that, :)

T

turbineblade

Lol -- nice post Hardy :). I don't think anyone questions your advice or experience.

Maybe we can agree that I could take your gray fly line and aim a great, tight-loop cast right down onto the water and NOT catch your trout! ;) Boinnnggg!

95chevy

Reaction score
Perhaps orange isnt the best color then. I can see how certain colors would allow more of that color to reflect into the water. Maybe the better idea (from reading your posts) is to get a good line in a slightly darker color. I do also like the darker greenish brown color. I can definitely see how the fiah can see the line flying over head though.

Reactions: Ard

axle27

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm really happy with a $40 Lefty Kreh WF5F. It casts nice, shoots well and does everything I need it to do.