Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Cabelas Fly Lines

I have usually just gotten whatever I could get at the local bait shop, but am wanting to put together a decent 8wt setup for a number of different species. I hope to go after carp, bass, pike, steelhead & a little saltwater when the vacations allow (Heading to Gulf Shores this summer)...

How well are the Cabelas lines or what is your favorite lines? I would guess I need to get a WF8 floating for the majority of my fishing and then a saltwater line in case I use it for that...any suggestions?

mridenour Guest

Default Re: Cabelas Fly Lines

I have a Cabela's WF5 on two reels that I am waiting to wear out before buying new. I've had no issues with them at all. Great, especially if you find them on sale.

I just picked up an 8 weight for the same reasons. I haven't received it yet, but I bought some line from Cabelas bargain cave. I picked up a Rio Gold for the freshwater and the Cortland Liquid Crystal for the salt. They are both on sale right now $40 & $50. I have no experience with either, but have heard great things about the Rio. My wife actually bought me some for my 5 weight for Valentines Day, but I haven't been out to use it. As for the Cortland, it seems to have a love/hate relationship.

Sorry, I have no clue on the Cabelas lines, but I had my eye on them as well. I just went with the "bigger" names since they were on sale.

I guess I'm not much help.

I had the prestige in WF4F and absolutely hated it. No slickness, sloppy loops, and felt rough on the hands. I only wasted $20 from the bargain cave so it wasn't a big deal but I quickly swapped it our for Rio Gold and haven't looked back.
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

Purchased their higher end WF 3 & 5wt floating (prestige premier perhaps) line to replace some 12 y.o. Orvis line that was still on the spools for my first trip to Montana last year. Unfortunately, not having the time to test it before I went, but it was their best, right?........If i didn't curse more than a sailor in rough seas I don't know who does.

Cast poorly, large loops, sank after just a few casts, felt heavy, couldn't get it to lay soft, etc. etc.. All around bad experience with it....So to make due, broke out my back up cheapo reel loaded with 18y.o. Cortland 333.....Fished like a champ.

Once back slipped on the old Orvis line (which I never cared for feeling too light for the rods), and it cast 10x better then the Cabala's. So, $130 roughly down the tubes.....I'll not wind it on again even if i have to use yarn.

Don't get me wrong, perhaps I just had bad luck with the rod/line combination (Higher end Orvis rods) or maybe just my style of casting doesn't match the line qualities. Frankly, some lines just work with all the variables, some don't and price/brand has nothing to do with it...Yet mostly due to the sinking aspect I'll never be using them again to save possibly throwing away the money.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
    ----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
    ---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

Quote Originally Posted by pjcalla View Post
    I just picked up an 8 weight for the same reasons. I haven't received it yet, but I bought some line from Cabelas bargain cave. I picked up a Rio Gold for the freshwater and the Cortland Liquid Crystal for the salt. They are both on sale right now $40 & $50. I have no experience with either, but have heard great things about the Rio. My wife actually bought me some for my 5 weight for Valentines Day, but I haven't been out to use it. As for the Cortland, it seems to have a love/hate relationship.

Sorry, I have no clue on the Cabelas lines, but I had my eye on them as well. I just went with the "bigger" names since they were on sale.

I guess I'm not much help.
    +1 on the gold and the Liquid crystal. I would get one of them for my 8wt had I not bought a new 4wt rod.
    Me personally would steer away from store brand lines and pay the extra $ for Rio and friends' lines.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

mridenour Guest

Quote Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
    Purchased their higher end WF 3 & 5wt floating (prestige premier perhaps) line to replace some 12 y.o. Orvis line that was still on the spools for my first trip to Montana last year. Unfortunately, not having the time to test it before I went, but it was their best, right?........If i didn't curse more than a sailor in rough seas I don't know who does.

Cast poorly, large loops, sank after just a few casts, felt heavy, couldn't get it to lay soft, etc. etc.. All around bad experience with it....So to make due, broke out my back up cheapo reel loaded with 18y.o. Cortland 333.....Fished like a champ.

Once back slipped on the old Orvis line (which I never cared for feeling too light for the rods), and it cast 10x better then the Cabala's. So, $130 roughly down the tubes.....I'll not wind it on again even if i have to use yarn.

Don't get me wrong, perhaps I just had bad luck with the rod/line combination (Higher end Orvis rods) or maybe just my style of casting doesn't match the line qualities. Frankly, some lines just work with all the variables, some don't and price/brand has nothing to do with it...Yet mostly due to the sinking aspect I'll never be using them again to save possibly throwing away the money.

B.E.F.
    Your money should NOT have been down the tubes as Cabela's would gladly take it back and issue a refund.

8. Likes jbird liked this post

Does anyone know who makes the Cabela's lines? The Orvis lines are made by SA. Don't know if they have their own tapers or whether they are simply rebadged SA lines. I would think the Cabela's lines are probably made by Rio or Cortland, but perhaps they are the same as those $10 from China that one finds on Ebay.
    "Work is what I do in between fishing trips."
    on Youtube at BlooMagooTV

"or what are your favorite lines"

For me, it's now Airflo. Just put the Super-Dri on my 4wt . . . really really nice.
    Jim

I've used their Prestige in a sink tip and have not had any issues. I have a friend who lives in the FL Panhandle and uses their saltwater line on his 8wt and swears by it as one of the best lines he's used.

Like all fly lines, no matter whose, you get what you pay for. The less expensive lines won't be as good nor hold up as well as the top of the line. But that is how it is no matter what you are buying. As far as who makes Cableas line, I think it is either SA or Cortland.

Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast