Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default S.A. Trout Taper WF-4 ??

Good evening,

Looking to purchase my first line for my 4wt hardy zenith 8'6.
    Anyone have any experience with this line? Looking for a decent floating line for cold water ponds/rivers trout fishing in Vermont.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: S.A. Trout Taper WF-4 ??

I actually have SA Textured Trout spooled up on 3 reels and if they made it in 1wt it would be on 4 reels. I use it on

ZXL 376-4
    TXL 3710-3
    Circa 389-4
    TXL 4710-3

And have yet to but will be using it on my 1-' 4wt ICON in the real near future.

I know some guys on here run it on their Zenith's as well.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

Search Tackle Reviews for SA Textured Trout which I tested on Zenith 8 1/2'/#4...it's the one.

On the package will it say "trout stalker" ? I am getting it through a discount website, so I want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

Also any opinions of the sharkskin trout taper ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
    On the package will it say "trout stalker" ? I am getting it through a discount website, so I want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.
    Same thing,

My local fly shop told me it was a "marketing" name change....some folks apparently thought Trout Stalker implied some sort of animal abuse.

Its good stuff, the texturing is awesome, makes pick up and recast easy. A little wiggle of the rod tip and lift. No more (or much less) dunking your dry fly on a re-cast. Stays super supple in the frigid winters here in Colorado. Ive fished little dries with it in very cold weather and it turns over like a dream.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

Has anyone tried the new Sharkwave version of this line?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson

Textured Trout lost the Stalker part of its name due to a copyright infringement issue. Same line though. SS Trout is a slightly different taper and also very good but harder on your hands and louder. Sharkwave should be the best of both worlds but I have yet to see one. And Mastery Expert Distance, name not withstanding, is where it all started and still a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Textured Trout lost the Stalker part of its name due to a copyright infringement issue. Same line though. SS Trout is a slightly different taper and also very good but harder on your hands and louder. Sharkwave should be the best of both worlds but I have yet to see one. And Mastery Expert Distance, name not withstanding, is where it all started and still a great choice.
    Thanks S&S!

I have the textured Trout on a 4wt and have been very happy with it. It gives a nice delicate presentation and picks up/mends/roll casts quite well. I think I'm going to try the new Sharkwave on a 5wt. The Sharkwave is expensive though. Unless you really feel like spending the extra money, a discounted Textured Trout is a great choice! So, +1 from me!

Edit: I fished wit the Sharkskin once. While it performs well, it is hard on your fingers and makes a Lot of noise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Todd

"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ~ Doug Larson

I have the option of getting sharkskin for 50 for a 4wt line. What are the advantages ? Would it be worth it over the textured trout?

Quote Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
    Good evening,

Looking to purchase my first line for my 4wt hardy zenith 8'6.
    Anyone have any experience with this line? Looking for a decent floating line for cold water ponds/rivers trout fishing in Vermont.

Thanks
    I use that exact same line in that weight on my 4wt rods. The line is true to weight. The rods I use it on are a St Croix Avid 8'6, which is a moderate action rod and also a St Croix Imperial 8'6 & 9', which is more of a moderate/fast action rod. It loads well off the tip of my rods for short casts and does well on longer casts.

I don't know much about the Hardy Zenith, so I can't say how that line would load the rod. If at all possible you may want to try and cast that line on your rod before pulling the trigger.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast