Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick in my Line

mridenour Guest

Default Nick in my Line

Ok, the other day I was fishing in a lake and I guess I got the line wrapped around something and it put a nick in it. It isn't very big but when I strip the line in, I feel it every time. I guess it is about 20-25 feet from the end. It is a small nick with a tiny flap of line that has almost been cut off. I think the line is fine but should I repair this somehow so that it doesn't get worse and is not so distracting?

james w 3 3 Guest

Default Re: Nick in my Line

Ok, I'll be the first to say this . . . maybe it'll be fine, maybe.
    IF it hasn't reached the core.
    But if it were me, I'd replace it.

3. Likes N/A liked this post
    mridenour Guest

It is really small. I can't see it very well but I feel it every time it runs across my fingers.

If the core is damaged, I'd get a new line.

If the core isn't damaged, then the strength of the line hasn't been affected. However, if the nick is deep enough to reach to the core, but hasn't damaged the core, water can still penetrate and impair the line's floating properties. If it's in a part of the line where that would affect performance, you might be able to remedy it (at least temporarily) by wiping the spot with some Armor-All to seal it. You may have to re-apply every few outings.

If the nick doesn't reach the core, so that it's only the nuisance of being able to feel it with your fingers, then I guess it's just a question of whether it bothers you enough to be worth buying a new line. You can try to trim the rough spot with some fine-point scissors or smooth it out with something like an emery board before opening your wallet, though. Just use a magnifier so you can see what you're doing and be careful not to damage the line even more.

6. Likes mcnerney, N/A liked this post

Glue down the "flap" with a bit of flexible cement like Goop
    Then whip a thread wrap over that repair like you would on a rod guide
    Then Goop over the thread wraps to smooth it out

It'll be fine
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    mridenour Guest

Yeah, it is just in the surface. I really hate to pitch a newish line for such a small defect. I'll make a little repair and get over being able to feel that when I strip line in. Thanks guys.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

You do want to smooth out/seal that nick as it will just get worse over time/use. A drop of smoothed out AcquaSeal will do the trick.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

11. Likes N/A, ts47, bloomagoo liked this post

Yeah, I tend to do that. Call me clumsy. Usually though, if you just untangle me a bit, I'll head off and get out of your way.
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

Quote Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
    Ok, the other day I was fishing in a lake and I guess I got the line wrapped around something and it put a nick in it. It isn't very big but when I strip the line in, I feel it every time. I guess it is about 20-25 feet from the end. It is a small nick with a tiny flap of line that has almost been cut off. I think the line is fine but should I repair this somehow so that it doesn't get worse and is not so distracting?
    Read these instructions for repair:

Repairing Fly Line Coatings | MidCurrent
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

14. Likes Ard, N/A liked this post

Why are you fixing this Mike? You've got "textured" line now. I had to pay extra for mine....

16. Likes N/A, dakotakid liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast