Fly Line

think trout

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a company that makes a 6wt. Bass Taper fly line. Scientific Anglers used to.

ted4887

Reaction score
Just about every fly line company has a line with specs that I'd consider good for bass flies.

A few off the top of the my head:

Rio Smallmouth
Rio Outbound
Rio Mainstream bass

SA Titan
SA Frequency Magnum
SA Redfish

Courtland Redfish also makes a really nice bass line.

These are just the lines I can think of off the top of my head that I would consider to have tapers that would work well for my style of bass fishing. There are likely a ton of others that I didn't list.

think trout

Reaction score
If all you have to do is cut 6 to 8 inches off the front, should you go one line size heavier.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
If all you have to do is cut 6 to 8 inches off the front, should you go one line size heavier.
Nope, Not necessary.
All you need to do is cut off a chunk of the tip section, just don't cut into the taper.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

If you go up a line weight you're just increasing the line mass.
Not changing the taper

fireroad

Reaction score
Any line that is advertised for chucking heavy stuff would make a great bass line. I currently use the Airflo Mend (now called nymph/indicator) but will most likely try the Airflo Galloup's floating streamer line next.

ts47

Reaction score
+1 to Fireroad...

The one thing you want to think about is temperature and whether you need a warm water line or not. In Maryland, if I were fishing for smallmouth bass, I would just pick up any of my trout rods and go after them. Likely the same for large mouth. Rio Gold in a 6, 7 or 8 weight line would do just fine for me, as would most other lines that can handle streamers or larger flies - like Ted suggested.

If you're down south (your profile doesn't say) or exclusively fishing in warm water with higher temperatures, I'd consider a warm weather line.

Where are you going to fish? Do you need a warm water line? (80 degree range water) If not, do you already own something that would work?

Last edited:

think trout

Reaction score
I just ordered a bass taper fly line from the Bass Pro Shop. They told me the line was manufactured by the Cortland line company, so I imagine it should perform very well.

fireroad

Reaction score
Ts47 brings up a great point, one that I don't give a second thought to here in Idaho but have seen first hand fishing in NM and AZ.

Cold water lines, whether they been advertised as bass or not, get pretty soft when water temps get to be 70 and above, and turn into a down right mess above 80. If you find that to be the case you will want to explore "tropical" options (there is a ton of them out there).

ts47

Reaction score
Ts47 brings up a great point, one that I don't give a second thought to here in Idaho but have seen first hand fishing in NM and AZ.

Cold water lines, whether they been advertised as bass or not, get pretty soft when water temps get to be 70 and above, and turn into a down right mess above 80. If you find that to be the case you will want to explore "tropical" options (there is a ton of them out there).
I think it is S&S or Silver that keeps suggesting we ignore the name of the fly lines we use and go after the tapers (or temperature range in this case) that would work best. I'm just trying to make use of his advice. :)

runningfish

Reaction score
The only bass taper line that I ever used were the Rio Power Fly in 6 weight and Rio Outbound Salt in weight. Although both weren't in the same size, I think I liked the Power Fly better since it didn't drop like a nuclear bomb unlike the Rio OBS.

I am more an airflo fan, and I'll to get their Mend line when they change those hideous colors. Another line that I think is good for heavy stuff is surprise surprise the Rio Indicator II. I have the 4 weight and use it for my 3,4, and 5 weight rods. Very versatile.

craigthor

Reaction score
Yes Airflo makes killer lines though they could tone down the colors, I have an Airflo Super Dri Exceed coming in to play with and it is pumpkin/ lichen in color.

runningfish

Reaction score
Yeah the Exceed is one of my favorite along with their Trout Elite in 5 weight. I am trying Airflo Trout tactical clear right now and we'll see.