Orvis HD Power Taper

mjsurfing

Reaction score
I've just purchased the Orvis Recon 6 wt outfit and upgraded to the Orvis HD power taper line 6 wt on recommendation from the salesman In the San Jose strore. I will be using the outfit mainly for nymph fishing under indicator as well as streamers for trout in our rivers and lakes in Australia.

Has anyone used this line and if so what are your thoughts.

tcorfey

Reaction score
It should be fine. It is a 1/2 line weight heavier than a standard 6wt line (173 grains versus 160 grains), this should be fine for chucking indicators and streamers. Learn to perform some simple single hand spey casts with that line it should work well.

Lines I use with my 6wt Recon are Orvis Hydros Easy Mend 6wt, Cortland 444 SLYK DT 6wt, and a Sage Ultimate Performance Taper 6wt. The reel I use is an Orvis Battenkill BBS III which weighs in at 3.9 ounces empty and it seems to balance well. The Sage line is what I use for indicators and heavy nymphs and also for streamers. It has a 30' head with a short rear taper fairly similar but, not exactly like the taper of the HD Power Taper. I think you will be pleased with it.

mjsurfing

Reaction score
Thanks Tcorfey,

Currently in Santa Monica with 4 days left of our West Coast trip. Looking forward to getting home and giving the new outfit a fish. Although -7 deg Celsius at home in Australia where I'll be fishing so a little colder than here.