Sinking line with streamers

delerium89

Reaction score
I've gotten pretty good at casting streamers and was thinking about getting a sinking line for my extra reel. I've been told to really get into the good streamer fishing you must have a sinking line. Will I really get alot more action with a sinking line?

Lastly I'd like some good recommendations on a sinking line. Am I gonna want a sink tip or a full sinking? I will be fishing only on rivers. I use a 5wt medium/fast action rod that currently has airflo super dri elite floating line.

tcorfey

Reaction score
To hop on what Fred was saying, the problem I have with sinking lines in a river is that you can't get a good mend in, you have to get an aerial mend in before they land otherwise they sink!

On a river sink tips work better for me as I can mend the floating line behind the sink tip as needed.

Some other options to a dedicated sink tip line (not considering split shot or tungsten soft weight) are:

Loop to loop Poly leaders 5', 7' or 10' in length and in various sink rates.

A new one for me was Cutthroat leaders have some specialized braided leaders for streamers in thread or fluorocarbon material.

Light MOW tips from Rio might be an option.

Some people add sections of lead-core line to their leader in various lengths.

silver creek

Reaction score
You are going to get a lot of opinions on what line to use for streamers. From what I have read, dedicated streamer pros opt for a full sinking fly line. One of the most knowledgeable streamer fly fishers is Kelly Galloup and he uses full sinking line. Others use floating line and others use sink tip lines.

Joseph D. Bates who wrote the 400 pg. bible on Streamers and Bucktails called “Streamers and Bucktails” back in 1950 was a full sinking fly line guy. Then again, there were no sink tips in those days.

Here are some articles:

Talking Streamers with Kelly Galloup | MidCurrent

What Line Should I Buy for Fishing Streamers? | MidCurrent

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-...what-you-should-know-about-sinking-fly-lines/

https://troutfitters.com/Blog/Post/how-to-choose-a-sink-tip-fly-line

mtbusman

Reaction score
Not knowing the water you fish, it's difficult to give you a definitive answer, so I'll just cover some water.

For streamers, I'm usually fishing buggers, unweighed, weighed, and with brass bead, tungsten beads, cone heads. I fish them four ways.

River fishing from a drift boat -- one way to fish them is pounding the bank, using a floating line, long leader, and weighed or bead head fly. You know the drill, you cast close to the bank, and strip fast. Whether or not your fly is weighed depends on the depth of the water where those bank feeding browns are hanging out.

Another way to fish them from a boat is to go deep. A fast sinking or sink tip line, a heavy bead or conehead on the fly. You cast across, or even quartered upstream, you mend and mend, letting the fly get down, then you swing and strip. Sometimes it works to let the fly sit at the end of the drift, twitch it, even jig it, before you strip it. It varies with the depth and speed of the water you're fishing. There are big trout in good sized rivers in deep water at certain times of the year.

Then there's wade fishing. I have fished small buggers with a floating line in small streams and creeks, even beaver ponds. In a river, I'll go with a fast sinking line, unweighed fly on a short leader (you get good movement this way), or a beadhead bugger when I need to get deeper. Again, I'm casting across, drifting, swinging, letting it sit a little, and retrieving. If the hole is deep, I cast quarter upstream and get as many mends in as I can.

As tcorfey said, it's easier to mend with a sink tip line, that's why it's the preferred line now for this kind of fishing. That said, I used to have success with a full sinking line, river fishing. Sometimes I could get two mends in if I was quick, mostly only one. That's the trouble with a full sinking line -- but they do get the fly down.

A sink tip would be recommended, and the sink rate would be determined by the water you fish -- how deep do you need to go? Naturally, the shorter sink tips are easier to cast, and line control and mending is much easier. However, a longer tip will get the fly down deeper, depending on the water you fish.

Will you get more action with a sink tip line? The only true answer to that depends on where and what you are fishing. If you're already enjoying stripping streamers with a floating line, a sink tip or two will increase the ways you can present your fly, at depths where the fish are. That could be a good thing.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Joseph D. Bates who wrote the 400 pg. bible on Streamers and Bucktails called “Streamers and Bucktails” back in 1950 was a full sinking fly line guy. Then again, there were no sink tips in those days.
I don't have that book, but I have Bates' Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing, 1966. Got it when I was in high school.

Actually, the sink tips I fish are the long ones, 24 feet. They are a bear to cast, but they get the fly down.

duker

Reaction score
Lots of good advice here. I fish a lot of streamers, almost always in rivers, usually on the swing. I use the Rio VersiTip system, which lets me switch out various sink tips depending on water and conditions. Depending on the leader and whether you use a weighted fly you can handle a lot of different water depths and flows. As others have pointed out, I can mend easily as well.

For my double-handed rods I use Rio MOW tips--same versatility as the VersiTips.

There are a lot of sink tips options out there. Do a search of the forum for related threads. Everyone has their own favourite system.

Never used a full sinking line for river fishing and can't imagine I'd like to try. Mending and drifting would be a challenge. I do know guys who use them fishing chironomids and other nymphy flies in lakes

Scott

silver creek

Reaction score
I forgot to add that one advantage of sinking lines is when there are rocky snags on the bottom. Then UN-weighted streamers are used so the streamer rides higher than the sinkling line that is on the botom.

Adjust the length of the leader for how far above the sinking line you want the streamer to ride, longer for higher.

fireroad

Reaction score
delerium89 - I was in the same spot as you 2 years ago and have been hitting the streamers pretty hard since then. Before you spend money on anything read a copy of Kelly Galloup's Modern Streamer's for Trophy Trout. It's one of the most comprehensive streamer fishing books currently available and a great read on trout fishing in general. Be fore warned...if you get into streamer fishing you will really want a dedicated 6 or 7wt streamer rod. You can still chuck streamers with a 5wt but it's very much "chuck and duck", especially with mid and long sink tip lines and coneheads. 6 and 7wts allow you to throw bigger streamers with much more control. The more control you have the better you can target smaller casting windows, vary depths, retrieve and swing speed etc.

I started fishing streamers on floating lines but found much better success with mid and long head sink tips. For a 5wt I like mid length heads and I've been very happy with the SA Mastery Wet Tip. For 6wt I go long and the Airflo Streamer Express Max is tough to beat. The tip is designed to be trimmed back to fine tune to your rod.

You are going to get a lot of opinions on what line to use for streamers. From what I have read, dedicated streamer pros opt for a full sinking fly line.
Many streamer pro's use mid and long head sink tips, including Mr Galloup. True full sink lines are just too hard to control in moving water. The confusion regarding sink tip versus full sink comes when you read older articles were there was primarily 2 types of sinking lines: sink tip lines where the tip was around 10ft long and full sinking lines where the whole line sunk. Now we have short sink tips (10ft ish), mid sink tips (22ft ish) and long sink tips (30ft plus). Galloup advocates the 30ft plus heads for his style of streamer fishing and certain patterns like the zoo cougar that depend on the weight of the line to drag them under.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzHssNH4zvk

J

james w 3 3

Well, I guess I stumbled into this thread a month + late!
This year has been my first as a newbie to the streamer game, and it's been an eye opener.
Yes, I'm hooked too. :p
Up to this point I'm finding by far the most success with unweighted streamers, and in stillwater a floating line has been fine. But in rivers I'm beginning to think Kelly Galloup's method might just be the ticket . . . unweighted streamers fished across the current on a sinking line. To that end I'm going all in, the Airflo Streamer Max Long.
Sure hope this works out. The smash of a big fish on a moving streamer is addictive!

smudger564

Reaction score
Well, I guess I stumbled into this thread a month + late!
This year has been my first as a newbie to the streamer game, and it's been an eye opener.
Yes, I'm hooked too. :p
Up to this point I'm finding by far the most success with unweighted streamers, and in stillwater a floating line has been fine. But in rivers I'm beginning to think Kelly Galloup's method might just be the ticket . . . unweighted streamers fished across the current on a sinking line. To that end I'm going all in, the Airflo Streamer Max Long.
Sure hope this works out. The smash of a big fish on a moving streamer is addictive!
Hi james w 3 3, Streamer Max is a great line. So long as you don't fish long leaders then bouying your fly up in the water column, isn't going to be a problem.

Unweighted streamers and lures are at th mercy of the current on rivers. Hence using a short leader which reduces any effect the current may have, as the fly is attached to this short leader link and will sink quickly with the fly line.

Keep us posted on how you do and wet nets!!

Best regards

Stuart;-)

mfallon

Reaction score
For fishing moving water for trout I'm very fond of the RIO Streamer Tip 10-15' Type 6 matched respectively with 5 and 6 weight rods.

For bigger water the Rio 26' Striper lines are great for tossing big flies and getting them down quickly, I use 6wt/200gr, 8wt/300gr, 9wt/350gr. Hope that helps.

jbcissell

Reaction score
To add to this for anyone reading the thread in the future, you need to find out what someone means by "streamer." A lot of times people aren't talking about fishing Galloup's style. He's pretty much bass fishing for trout. Very actively working the fly. Lots of others are passively swinging much smaller "steamers" or something a more active like Ard describes. I think if you are referring to Galloup's style, "banging the banks" from a boat would help people know what type of fishing you're doing. Then you'll still have to sift through the info that isn't referring to that. You will incorporate some of the other techniques but it's confusing as hell until you figure out streamers doesn't mean the same thing for everyone

Josh

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
You are going to get a lot of opinions on what line to use for streamers. From what I have read, dedicated streamer pros opt for a full sinking fly line. One of the most knowledgeable streamer fly fishers is Kelly Galloup and he uses full sinking line. Others use floating line and others use sink tip lines.

Here are some articles:

Talking Streamers with Kelly Galloup | MidCurrent

What Line Should I Buy for Fishing Streamers? | MidCurrent

http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-...what-you-should-know-about-sinking-fly-lines/

https://troutfitters.com/Blog/Post/how-to-choose-a-sink-tip-fly-line
Good post. I really got a lot of useful info out of that last link.
Based on the info I ordered the Airflow Kelly Galloup Streamer Max in 200 grains for my 6wt.

Last edited:

runningfish

Reaction score
I've gotten pretty good at casting streamers and was thinking about getting a sinking line for my extra reel. I've been told to really get into the good streamer fishing you must have a sinking line. Will I really get alot more action with a sinking line?

Lastly I'd like some good recommendations on a sinking line. Am I gonna want a sink tip or a full sinking? I will be fishing only on rivers. I use a 5wt medium/fast action rod that currently has airflo super dri elite floating line.
The Airflo Super Dri Elite is a very good line. Although it was for dry presentation it still can cast a streamer. I am using the same line for my 5wt and 6wt fiberglass rods and just interchanging 7ft of Polyleader tips for depth. However, lately I am just using it with a short 4ft-5ft of just an old leader butt section 3ft of 3x&2x tippet and controlling the depth by the weight of the streamer that I am using. Open your loops a bit. Using this leader is also allowing me to change just from a streamer to dry fly or bobber very quickly without changing my leader. There is a guy on youtube fishing a Salsa Epic 686 using this rig :rolleyes:

I would skip on the Light Mow or iMOW tips, they are really good for spey casting and depth control. I am a big fan of them but at 6 grain/ft or 60grain/10ft; they are just too clunky to false cast overhead with a 5wt single hand rod.

labradorguy

Reaction score
A full sink on a 5wt just doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun.... I have a full sinking line, SA Sonar Titan INT/sink3/sink5, but I fish it on an 8wt saltwater rod. It has it's application, and is great with unweighted streamers, but more often than not the reel on that rod is spooled up with RIO Intouch Streamer Tip. That's a sweet sink tip line that is easy to cast and easy to control. No stretch is awesome with streamers.

My favorite set up is RIO Outbound Short F on my 7wt. I use it with various Versileaders. It's a heck of a lot of fun to cast, virtually effortless, and when wading with brush behind you it's really tough to beat. That crazy taper will cast into the backing. FWIW. :)

Yolo

Reaction score
I use a 7wt rod with an airflo streamer max long as it casts nice for a sinking line. I walk and wade and I shoot my line out slightly and I mean slightly down stream and jerk retrieve. To me this is covering as much structure and water as I can. I walk a ton so it’s fast action fishing and I cast lots I believe the fish I catch are the ones who are hungry or just angry, who cares just cover as much as you can. I rather aggressively seek a fish than hope a fish. This is just fun and dialing it in makes it even better.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I usually fish unweighted streamers while wading, down-and-across on a wet fly swing. For deeper water I use a fast sinking type V sink-tip line with a shorter sinking tip, 5' or 10'. If that doesn't get it deep enough I add a sinking leader, or a short section of lead-core line (looped on both ends for easy connections) between the tip and the leader, and/or switch to a weighted streamer. For shallower water I use a floating line with a sinking leader or a weighted streamer.