Airflo Bandit

ts47

Reaction score
Certainly looks interesting... like Rio Gold, but made by Airflo. I know this doesn't answer your question. I share your curiosity though.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I came across mention of it in another review from this fellow , in the other review he goes into more detail on the line but I cant find it right now.
SCOTT RADIAN 5 WT FLYROD REVIEW ~* WILDFLIES |* NATURAL TROUT FLIES | FLYFISHING | NEW ZEALAND | MARC GRIFFITHS

He indicates it is a match for the Radian and Zenith FWIW ....
I thought this was also an interesting comparison of the 2 rods. In it I think he said something to the tune the line lacked in the presentation department , however acceptable , but made up for it in delivering the large flies under windy conditions over distance in NZ .

smudger564

Reaction score
Anyone tried this or even aware of it existed? Long rear taper similar to SA's Ultimate trout taper.
Airflow Super DRI Bandit Fly Line for Stealthy Presentations
Airflo Fishing | Buy Airflo Super Dri Bandit Fly Line - <b>£39.99

Hi Sdnmn11, I've used the Bandit twice this last month. The first being a trial as I'd heard a rumour that Airflo had made a banded fly line. My interest was mostly curiosity to start with, as I mark the 1st ten feet of my floaters, Intermediates & Mini Tips with black bands with a permanent marker. This provides a great in line take indicator that I can focus on to highlight a take.

Well my curiosity was piqued when I bought it at Fishtec here in the UK. Your price is right at £39.99. Olive coloured with black contrasting bands for the first 12ft. Factory welded loops and spooled ready to go.

The tech info on the Bandit is, 30yds long with a 50ft head. It' the 24ft rear taper that plays a very important part in creating super smooth loops and yes you can cast all the line onto the water. Punching the bandit to distance is just great and it copes with windy conditions well. Ridged and with power core you feel those long distance hits out to distance.

Watching the banding, it looks a like a series of full stops on a sheet of paper. Making spotting hits a breeze. When using heavy flies, the banding edges where they change colour look semi translucent offering great transition and bite detection.

Super Dri also recovers to the surface quickly after sinking, if your using heavy flies like gold heads or tungsten beads.

So far in the two outings I've used it, I've been really impressed. Ridged for very smooth shooting and easy casting, I love it!

You can see what I first thought about Bandit on my Facebook page Stuart Smitham. Not the musician ;-)

You can also buzz me on here for more info or check out Bandit on the Fishtec page. Or on the Airflofishing link here.

Hope this helps?

Best regards

Stuart;-)

Last edited:

eastfly66

Reaction score
It says Aiflo will only ship to the UK , what's with that ? The revolution was over 200 years ago , get over it :)

sndmn11

Reaction score

Hi Sdnmn11, I've used the Bandit twice this last month. The first being a trial as I'd heard a rumour that Airflo had made a banded fly line. My interest was mostly curiosity to start with, as I mark the 1st ten feet of my floaters, Intermediates & Mini Tips with black bands with a permanent marker. This provides a great in line take indicator that I can focus on to highlight a take.

Well my curiosity was piqued when I bought it at Fishtec here in the UK. Your price is right at £39.99. Olive coloured with black contrasting bands for the first 12ft. Factory welded loops and spooled ready to go.

The tech info on the Bandit is, 30yds long with a 50ft head. It' the 24ft rear taper that plays a very important part in creating super smooth loops and yes you can cast all the line onto the water. Punching the bandit to distance is just great and it copes with windy conditions well. Ridged and with power core you feel those long distance hits out to distance.

Watching the banding, it looks a like a series of full stops on a sheet of paper. Making spotting hits a breeze. When using heavy flies, the banding edges where they change colour look semi translucent offering great transition and bite detection.

Super Dri also recovers to the surface quickly after sinking, if your using heavy flies like gold heads or tungsten beads.

So far in the two outings I've used it, I've been really impressed. Ridged for very smooth shooting and easy casting, I love it!

You can see what I first thought about Bandit on my Facebook page Stuart Smitham. Not the musician ;-)

I can also buzz me on here for more info or check out Bandit on the Fishtec page. Or on the Airflofishing link here.

Hope this helps?

Best regards

Stuart;-)
Thanks for sharing!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Interesting indeed. The taper of Bandit is much like that of RIO Gold and, like Gold In-Touch, features a very low stretch core. I like the color too. This is my preferred type of taper design as the long head offers superior in air and on water mending while the long rear taper limits hinging and promotes loop stability.

The question for me is, is Bandit a true to weight (in the first 30') line or is it some fraction over sized as is Gold. Weight independent, I would suppose with a long leader that this line would be a first rate presentation performer as is both Gold and lighter but similar SA EDT. I would think, if Rajeff Sports does not market this line on our side of the pond, a few dozen requests would get them to do so.

Bandit is not on Rajeff's web site but this similar line with a longer front taper is:

On paper (or computer screen if you will) I like Bandit's taper better. More positive turnover from the shorter front taper and a longer rear taper. Better color too.

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

All right then. I have had a rather rapid e-mail exchange with Rajeff Sports. It may not be on their web site yet but, yes, Bandit is or will imminently be US available. Further, and this is good news considering the existence of RIO Gold in stretch and non-stretch 1/2 heavy versions, Bandit will be a true to AFTMA spec line.

So now we'll have the 1/2 heavy Golds, true size SA Mastery EDT, smooth with conventional braided nylon core, SA Sharkwave Ultimate Trout, a textured version of EDT and new Bandit, true size with non-stretch core and Ridged polymer coating (textured but QUITE). Weight distribution aside, this means we will have available a long head, extended rear taper, presentation style design in every variable of weight, core, surface texture and coating chemistry. Now no rod of your choice needs to be compromised by lack of a fine-tuned match-up with its optimal fly line. At the latest, by early next Spring I will report on Bandit's technical dry fly presentation attributes.

smudger564

Reaction score
Hi sweetandsalt, Glad Tim replied to you. It means you have a great point of contact for Bandit and all your questions can be resolved.

If you need any hints buzz me ok?

Looking forward to reading your comments

Best regards

Stuart;-)

eastfly66

Reaction score
Hi sweetandsalt, Glad Tim replied to you. It means you have a great point of contact for Bandit and all your questions can be resolved.

If you need any hints buzz me ok?

Looking forward to reading your comments

Best regards

Stuart;-)
Hi Stuart ,

In the #7 do you think this will turn over a streamer with a little weight on a short leader ? Should be good for roll cast and spey too I would think ?
Cheers
East

jaybo41

Reaction score
Airflo lines are finding their way more and more onto my reels and this line looks like a real winner. The Super Dri lines are a significant improvement over the predecessors in terms of flotation so I'm glad to see this line will employ the same technology.

Gold has long been a favorite and I'm sure will continue to be, but having a similar taper, yet true to AFMTA ratings distinguishes this to the point where there is an advantage to each to pair with different rods.

Kudos for bringing what appears to be a real gem to mine and the boards attention and thanks to S&S for the updated info and exchange with Rajeff Sports!

sndmn11

Reaction score
All right then. I have had a rather rapid e-mail exchange with Rajeff Sports. It may not be on their web site yet but, yes, Bandit is or will imminently be US available. Further, and this is good news considering the existence of RIO Gold in stretch and non-stretch 1/2 heavy versions, Bandit will be a true to AFTMA spec line.
I have emailed them several times, and they have been good about getting back to me the same day with complete information.
I am fairly certain Blue Quill has it in stock (original post link). They typically don't have things on their web site that they don't have in stock, and I am fairly certain I saw it in the rack when I was in there a week and a half ago.

smudger564

Reaction score
Hi east, I regularly use streamer type flies. So far on Bandit I've used leeches which are about 3-4 Inc long. Zonkers, Goldheads and buzzers.

It lends itself to so many workable methods and being Super Dri, recovers quickly back to the surface, If you fish heavy flies.

It also drags the running line off the deck when casting. Very much like Rangefinder.

I always roll cast and Bandit reacts well to changes in pace during casting, due to the power core. Just excellent and I'm glad I have it now. Apologies as I don't spey cast.

Best regards

Stuart ;-)

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

It's always nice to be able to tell people about a great product jaybo41.

Considering the banding concept was to mask the fly line during casting in NZ waters. It now lends itself to so much more, as a side effect and that is very cool.

Buzz me if you need to?? Take care all

Best regards

Stuart;-)

Last edited:

jaybo41

Reaction score
Stuart, thanks for sharing your experiences with the line. This is the kind of thing that is really helpful for folks when they are considering adding a new line. I was all but sold on it when I read through the first few posts, but as this thread progresses I know I've got to try it. I'm less interested in the camo aspect than I am the taper of the line itself. That's not to say the camo line couldn't be beneficial it's just that for me, the taper of a line is what I'm looking at most when shopping for something new.

Thanks again

smudger564

Reaction score
Hi Jaybo41, I loved Lake Pro and the long front taper that line has. Bandit is exceptional for those long casts, that just seem effortless.

The rear taper just balances the casting loop, for that paper clip shape. Good aerodynamics make this line just superb. Well done to Gareth Jones and Richard Wothers at Airflo. Brilliant work.

Best regards

Stuart;-)

As a ps to this, I'll add a link to my short Facebook review of Bandit today.

Last edited:

smudger564

Reaction score
As a continuing thread on this fab line from Airflo. Bandit is piquing interest not just in the UK, but now also from our American friends.

I was asked if I had any more points to add, on using Bandit here in the UK, since my first outing at the beginning of October. So here it is?*

Taper & Profile
One of the biggest benefits Bandit offers, is it's profile. The 50ft long head ‎on this line, is nicely balanced by the 24ft rear taper. This slows the draw on the cast, by dissipating the casting energy down through the running. Very much like Rangefinder, with it's huge 65ft head, that ripped any running you had on the floor, through the rod rings and out onto the water. *

You can cast all this out and it's aerodynamics highlight the cast, by allowing very smooth flowing loops, that just carry your rig/cast to long distances. Ridge technology helps reduce friction at the rod tip, for slick quiet shooting.

‎Colour & Banding
Olive is a very pleasing colour to the eye. They say green shades offer a much more subtle colour to watch, as it's a natural hue. I can't argue with that philosophy.*

This shade when cast is a great blend against backdrop colours, as we fish mostly with trees or grass behind us. To help break up the line profile in the air, Airflo added dark banding in the first 12ft. This makes for a great camouflage, where spooky trout occupy crystal clear water, such as in NZ where this line was originally constructed for. In most cases, these fish have seen a lot of flies and fly lines. So I'm guessing they see a flashy colour in their periphery, then associate this with something they didn't like. They then take to the fin and disappear.

A brilliant side effect of adding this banding, is that we now have a permanent bite indicator fixed into the fly line. Casting out your offerings, you can see the effect a fish taking your flies has, by watching these bands for any stops, pulls, plucks, jagging and where the line just pauses then continues on track.

As with any take or suspicion of a ‎take, you should always strike. Don't lift the rod to do it though, as you'll lift your flies out of that critical taking zone. Instead chop your line hand down, then if you feel resistance, draw the rod tip round to lock up. Easy!*

Heavy flies and thicker tippets.
Most folk fish heavy flies, at some point during their fishing trip. Once the sun starts to creep over the horizon, the fish will notice it's effect. Having no eye lids, their option is to drop to depth away from the harsh light.

Reaching these Trout with thicker tippets of flourocarbon is one option we have. Fishing heavier flies is another, without having to change to a different density fly line.

When fishing heavy flies, we have to endure the line tip sinking out of sight and drawing the front taper down into the water. As we retrieve, we draw our line up slightly in the water column. Super Dri technology incorporates properties that see fly lines recover to the surface, much faster than some competitor lines. Having this characteristic can pay big dividends‎ is maintaining contacting with your leader and flies, by reducing the drawn down effect. For us this floatation is just another feature, that makes Super Dri so effective in the manufacture of floating fly lines.

When fishing Bandit with heavy flies, the leader draws the line tip under, but is also does something else too? The colour change points between the Olive and the dark bands become slightly translucent. These offer up a much more visual focus area, to concentrate on spotting those hits. It can reduce your lead in time on reacting to takes, by 100ths of a second, which can make all the difference between having a wet net and a dry one!

Power core*
Airflo have used XT cores on Sixth Sense lines for over 10 years, with a huge success rate in feeling the hit. Bandit offers up the same "feelability". So those long casts that your firing out have a meaning. * By making the connection, to those takes at long distance, a much more viable option. After all, if you can get ‎your flies out there, you should be able to hook up, or it's a pointless exercise, isn't it??

Sales info on Bandit and the whole Super Dri range, is available at Fishtec or airflofishing. Check these out at your leisure.

Best regards

Stuart;-)

Last edited:

smudger564

Reaction score
I'm going to use this word excessively at work until my co-workers are annoyed enough that they look up the proper definition and make me use it appropriately.
My apologies sndmn11, Jagging is where a fish continually nips at your fly. More evident with long tailed patterns like Nomads and Streamers etc.

Best regards

Stuart;-)

sndmn11

Reaction score
I like it, it is catchy.
So if a guy was looking to get together a few 7wt lines, from floating to different sinking types, for a rod that is intended to be used for streamers in rivers and loch fishing, do you think this would be a good choice as the floating?