Trident Fly Line Shootout

willyf

Reaction score
This is pretty cool, but I only wish they'd done it with a rod that I have :). I've only cast a few of these lines, but my observations match up for the most part.

Airflo Super-Dri Elite - Yuck on my Orvis H2 905 mid-flex.

Rio Perception - Love it on H2 905 and Scott Radian 906.

Rio Gold - Ok on on H2 905 and Scott Radian 906.

Rio Single Hand Spey - Cool line. Only dabbled with it on a rod I don't remember at the Sandy River Spey Clave

Scientific Anglers Mastery Anadro (I actually cast the Orvis version which is called Nymph, I think) - Holy **** on an H2 906 one-piece prototype. So good, but I only played with it on a casting pond at the Somerset Show.

I read through the whole thing, and I was dying for even more detail. I'd like to see data at different distances (15/30/60/90 feet) and more about what about the lines cause them to excel at one thing or not at another.

There also aren't any notes on durability (hard to test, I know), slickness/feel in hand (they do talk about shootability and memory though), or how well the lines float (they touch on this a bit, but not enough in my opinion). I'm nit-picking here though. They did a great job, and the fact that their observations agree with mine
on lines that I've cast makes me pretty confident on their notes on lines that I haven't cast.

el jefe

Reaction score
There also aren't any notes on durability (hard to test, I know), slickness/feel in hand (they do talk about shootability and memory though), or how well the lines float (they touch on this a bit, but not enough in my opinion). I'm nit-picking here though. They did a great job, and the fact that their observations agree with mine
on lines that I've cast makes me pretty confident on their notes on lines that I haven't cast.
I'd go beyond and say that is not nit-picking. Durability and floatability are primary criteria to many of us when shelling out $75+ for a fly line. I haven't had a Rio Gold float for very long. A buddy of mine goes through Rio Gold lines like 6x tippet, though I haven't experienced the same durability issues as him.

I read the whole intro, and then scanned their thoughts on certain lines. Some of the line/rod pairings were curious. So what stood out to me was that they provided a lot of objective data, which was really cool, but I can't translate that into fly fishing use. And that objective data wasn't really more useful to me than what the manufacturers publish, but for the fact that it standardized the taper diagrams, which is nice. As mentioned on my prior paragraph, big things to me are floatability and durability. I do want to know how much lines contribute--vis-à-vis--to the loading of a rod, and I think they did a reasonable job of that.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Rio Gold:

"Cons:
•Feels too light for faster rods

Bottom line: A popular line that works great on softer rods. "

Mmmmmm.......not so sure about that one Big Guy :)

ts47

Reaction score
Mmmmmm.......not so sure about that one Big Guy :)
Yeah... I think there are some inconsistencies in this shootout. The Rio was too light. Yet, the SA Anadro was good at 2 full line sizes overweight. Maybe they should have tested Rio in a 6 weight and split the difference?!? :confused:

There is some good information though - actual weights and tapers including the Airflo lines!! :clap:

eastfly66

Reaction score
It could be their editor got a tad confused & mixed a few things up too ....maybe , I didn't read it all yet , saving the rest for morning coffee.

ts47

Reaction score
It could be their editor got a tad confused & mixed a few things up too ....maybe , I didn't read it all yet , saving the rest for morning coffee.
Information in this report is scattered in a few too many places to make it an easy read. Need the laptop and a few pages printed so I can bounce back and forth.

It may be there is some good information contained in this shootout. It will take some sorting and adjusting to fit your style. Like with the super fast rods... There are guys on this forum that can make that kind of rod dance a jig with a true to weight line. In this shootout, the reviewer needed to overline it to make the rod work.

It will be interesting to see the comments after some of our better casters decipher this information.

EDIT: OK... The second highest score, a 34, went to SA Sharkwave Anadro - a line that is two full line sizes overweight??

Last edited:

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
In general I love reading these Shootouts. But boy does it add to my stress level. I kind of long for the days when i didn't know if my rod was a fast action or slow, i just threw on a peach colored Cortland 444 and went fishing. I think I need to find a balance between my love of new gear and the simple days of my youth.:)
Having said that I will pour thru this information and try to find a recommendation for my next fly line
thanks for the heads up on the Shootout

dean_mt

Reaction score
uh-oh. Another shoot out.

I thought the same about the Gold review ... too light for fast rods, yet perfect for the Circa. Which btw I've never cast but to say that isn't truly a "slow" rod seems out of sync with most of what I've read about it.

But then again, it is good to hear a different perspective. They laid out their testing procedures and criteria, so have at it!

It does make me want to try an Airflo River/Stream on my 5wt XP though...compared to the Gold I currently use.

marky3130

Reaction score
I have a hard time agreeing with most everything I've read so far. I only got about 10 pages into the 50 and couldn't get myself to keep going.

Their preferred pairings are different than what I've experienced. I also didn't understand/appreciate some of their comments listing certain lines as for experienced casters. Some were lines I've tried and dismissed, and I am a fairly competent caster.

Aside from their comments and ratings given, I did find their taper measurements data interesting.

Interesting stuff though

fireroad

Reaction score
I like the Trident guys and the effort they put into their shootouts, but this one really had me scratching my head. As many have already pointed out the Rio Gold review just didn't make much sense. I thought they got the Airflo part right minus the "ho hum" final ranking of the Elite and Xceed. They are correct, the River and Stream is a real sleeper and a fantastic single hand spey line.

I'm glad they covered the Rio Perception as that has always been a line I've been interested in trying but there isn't a whole lot of press on it. Didn't even bother to read the SA part, they make so many lines now it's just plain ridiculous.

J

james w 3 3

Weights and measures . . . kudos.
Subjective evaluations . . . meh.

"Your mileage may vary" applies here.

I'm still crazy over my AirFlo lines ;)

dean_mt

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a good old fashioned Double Taper line and have a go. I've actually never cast a DT on any of my rods and I think my SLT is crying for the chance.

willyf

Reaction score
Yet, the SA Anadro was good at 2 full line sizes overweight. Maybe they should have tested Rio in a 6 weight and split the difference?!?
I usually shy away from heavy lines, but the time I spent casting Orvis' version of the Anadro blew me away. I don't know what it is about the taper, but it didn't feel heavy to me. I'm gonna get one for my 10' T3 7-weight soon.

boisker

Reaction score
Interesting if not a tad confusing...
On radian 4w... I realise they are testing 5w so not directly comparable..
Rio gold is in no way too light, I wouldn't want it any heavier
I really like the Rio LT on the radian... Definitely lighter feeling than the gold but don't agree it's too light and for 'slower' rods... Currently my preferred option on the radian
The airflo super dry elite also great..

May try the sharkwave... But don't know whether to go with the GPX or ultimate trout; tempted by the ultimate judging by the views on the Rio LT the trident guys like to load up their rods.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a good old fashioned Double Taper line and have a go

Dean , I have a Chippewa boot box full of SA Mastery Trout DT , WF & MED lines from the closeouts and they cast very well on my Orvis HLS2, both Radians , T&T Horizon II/Helix , NS5/NSII and Zenith 904. I think your going to be surprised. They will cast up to a normal size bugger/streamer just fine also. I don't expect to run out of lines or rods until I'm around 92. The only rod that they didn't work well with was the 590 One (Rio Gold), but after 40' or so it is game on again. The difference between DT/WF doesn't come into play until your carrying 40' plus out the tip , that makes for a cast around 60' but on a long cast you can carry more and still mend line and it will roll/Spey better.

The MED is an excellent line for just about everything and on just about anything that has a backbone.

* Someone here once recommended when looking at a new rod to take the line you prefer to testing , at the time I didn't see the logic in it but now it makes perfectly good sense. Cheers to whoever posted that tip !

---------- Post added at 06:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

"We’ve long taken this line for granted and recommended it for most rods for virtually any angler. I’m happy to report that after testing it extensively, we weren’t wrong. While GPX doesn’t blow us away in any particular category, it just does EVERYTHING, really well. Yes, that includes presentation. And yes, it also worked really well on the Circa, despite being a “half-size” heavier. Basically, if you’re not sure which trout line to go with on any given rod, for any given body of water, SA Sharkwave GPX should probably be your starting point."

Circa , MPX & GPX ????? ..........Mmmmmm .....not so sure about that one either Big Guy :)

Might be a perfect match for a Far & Fine too :wow:

All teasing & kidding aside :) , they are providing info to cover a broad range of people , difficult to do and I suspect they are probably right on the money. It is what they do everyday , set people up with outfits. I'm sure they know what their doing.

I am enjoying the read ! like that taper reading tool ! Good review & bet it was a lot of work too , Well Done!

Last edited:

comeonavs

Reaction score
Just a cursory glance at the review for me, really a great repository of information for folks dialing in the finer specs of their kit.

I enjoy reading these but don't take it to serious, I know what I like. Example they pump SA GPX up but unless your chucking a pair of size 12 stonefly patterns and a bobber on a 4wt or a streamer on a 6wt I find GPX so clunky it ruins my day.

I've came to the conclusion I use RIO gold for all arounders and SA mastery trout for dry fly rods. If I had anyone local to me that sold airflo I'm sure I'd end up with some.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I've came to the conclusion I use RIO gold for all arounders and SA mastery trout for dry fly rods. If I had anyone local to me that sold airflo I'm sure I'd end up with some.
That pretty much sums it up for me ! Funny , I was just thinking ....the more new sh*t I try , the more I realize I like what I had in the first place !......except of course the 2 handers ! :)

sndmn11

Reaction score
Blue Quill

I can't imagine the time put into compiling the information I glanced over. Anybody knocking Trident for their comments should sure as heck rethink that and be very appreciative for the data they have provided for anyone free of charge.