The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 05-18-2017, 11:07 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Line for a 5# Radian

I feel the same way after quite a few years now with my Sage ONE. Initially everyone said, "So stiff put a #6 on that 5-weight". I did try a RIO Grand (1 size heavy) on it which was truly awful, felt like a dumbbell was tied to the tip. Sage said Gold from their sister company RIO was just right...and it does work fine. But with a lot of line in the air it too felt a bit heavy. Enter long time favorite for true weight line rods, SA MEDT and it was just right. ONE is not a champ with 5' of line + leader out the tip top but it does load just enough to tip cast a short shot. With a more typical amount of line, ONE 9'/#5 is not and was never intended to be a small stream rod, it really sings, generating the smoothest and tightest loops with remarkable sensitivity. A long front taper, long head and long rear taper in a "true weight" line makes this great rod lively and super responsive to cast with a scalpel-like tip directing the line with the utmost of precision. Optimal rod/line match-ups are a wonderful thing.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:04 PM

spurly is on a distinguished road

I have been using a Barrio GT90 but in a 6wt.on my Radian, it works very good
For the fishing I have done so far this year.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:45 PM

boisker will become famous soon enough

Yeah I have one on my 6w as well
Old 05-19-2017, 10:22 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

I have yet to try one but good old Cortland has a new line I saw at Somerset. Omni-Verse is a true weight extended head, 25' rear tapered line in the same "presentation" class as MEDT and Gold. This thread has just reminded me to order one.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:50 AM

willyf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
I have yet to try one but good old Cortland has a new line I saw at Somerset. Omni-Verse is a true weight extended head, 25' rear tapered line in the same "presentation" class as MEDT and Gold. This thread has just reminded me to order one.
I like that Cortland's lines have a little different look to their packaging, but there is almost no information about the line taper or grain weights on the packaging. I picked up a few of their lines the other day and promptly put them down because the box didn't answer my questions. That info is all on the Cortland website though, so it is available.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:59 PM

czando is on a distinguished road

Wulff Triangle Taper plus is money on that rod

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2017, 07:16 PM

gidva is on a distinguished road

I had an Airflo super dry on my 906 the line detached from the core after 4 uses no joke could have been my fault. purchase a sharkwave gpx on ebay for 50 bucks oh man what a difference it made. The rod was loading so much better it was like casting 2 different rods also way slicker. I have the airflo distance pro on my 905 but after casting the slick sharkwave I may change the distance pro after all. What do you guys recommend Rio Gold, GPX, or wulff TT. 80 per cent nymphing 10 per cent streamers 10 per cent dry.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:39 PM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidva View Post
I had an Airflo super dry on my 906 the line detached from the core after 4 uses no joke could have been my fault. purchase a sharkwave gpx on ebay for 50 bucks oh man what a difference it made. The rod was loading so much better it was like casting 2 different rods also way slicker. I have the airflo distance pro on my 905 but after casting the slick sharkwave I may change the distance pro after all. What do you guys recommend Rio Gold, GPX, or wulff TT. 80 per cent nymphing 10 per cent streamers 10 per cent dry.
Just a little curious gidva but if 80% of your fishing is dedicated to nymphing why don't you have one of those specialized rods ? I can't help much with the line for the 905 Radian for nymph but for single dry I would go with a MED or TT plus , dry dropper , swing wets (other) or dealing with wind and dry fly than it would be the Gold. Gold roll cast nice too so I would think good for high sticking maybe ....
Old 05-30-2017, 08:26 PM

gidva is on a distinguished road

So you guys don't like the GPX head?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:30 PM

ryc72 is on a distinguished road

Fished this past weekend with two different lines on a Scott radian 5wt, sa mpx 5wt and Winston energy 5wt. Definitely liked the mpx much better than the Winston. Fished streamers and nymphs. Thought the Winston would be better for streamer fishing but I liked the mpx for both streamers and nymphing. The Winston line wasn't bad, just liked the mpx better. And the difference was notable.