sunray fly lines...

taylorreels

Reaction score
Tom from Sunray sent our team over some of these lines to try on our reels and rods and they are extremely good. We honestly had our doubts, but they some of the best casting lines we have ever tried. 5 stars, two thumbs up! Right now they are far and away our favorite line we use at the office. Not sure about the durability at this point, but out of the box... an amazing line!

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Appears this is a UK based web site but nothing wrong with that.

Pricing is in 'Pounds' which right now is about $1.30 to the USD. Only 'thing' wrong with buying like this is if there's a problem with the order you'll play hell getting same sorted.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
This makes absolutely no sense:

Q. The weights look light for their AFTM's. What weight should I buy for my rod? A. If you have a #3 rod, buy a #3 line for instance. Yes, they are physically light but they still load fully due to the physics involved.

Q. What is the core strength & how sensitive is it? A. The core is 8% stretch braid 12lb. Because the line is 10-20% thinner, the overall mass is greatly reduced. This makes it significantly easier for the fish to move the line. This means less resistance to fish when they feel the fly and greatly increased sensitivity to the angler.

Granted, that version of the line is supposedly for rods longer than 9', yet using a 10' or worse still 9'-6" rod does not increase the speed enough to compensate for the loss of mass that simply. Their "for 9' or less lines" state that they are not quite as thin (or maybe they mean light), never the less.

A line floats due to the amount of water it displaces compared to the amount of lighter than water materials (air a good one) contained within. So if you reduce the physical size, yet have to make it denser to accomplish the same deflection in the rod to load it, you then have to in direct contrast make it even lighter to float?

Perhaps I'm confusing something there not really devoting a lot of thought to this, yet I do not believe so.

B.E.F.

ryc72

Reaction score
Just ordered a 5wt line today. Can't wait to try it. Taylorreels, wondering if you have used them nymphing, throwing dries, and throwing streamers. Was there a preferred application? Or the line versatile enough to be fished all 3 ways well. Thanks!

taylorreels

Reaction score
We can't really speak to the versatility of the lines at this point because we have only had the lines for a couple weeks. Our experience has been fishing drys and lawn casting. The one characteristic I can say is that these lines shoot EXTREMELY well. We have only had them a couple weeks, but so far we really like the performance. Three characteristics that we really like is that the lines are extremely slick, cut through the wind very well, and shoot through the guides quickly. Hope that info helps. The lines are worth a look.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Goolged the fly lines and to my delight (and surprise) they supply major details on the design of their lines.

Rod designs are what ever weight the builder wants to slap on them regardless of the 'recommendation' is based on 'what-ever.'

A given rod may say it's a 'six' but in whose opinion?:popcorn: Chuck small flies or big, or bushie .... different line may be appropriate. If you know the grain weight of the line half the guess work is behind you.:frogdance

What makes it all the worse is, if given, the grain weight is usually just the first 30 feet ... Big Woop-Woop:popcorn: If your casting work is beyond this point what you have in the air is anybodied guess.

With the Sunray lines you can pull them out and, with a perm. marker, mark them at 40-50-60, longer if you're a better caster than me:eek:) even out to the end of the line.

You think the fish are holding (or where "The Slot" is located it be Peaches and Cream casting a line like these.:clap:

ryc72

Reaction score
Haven't gotten it yet. Should be getting it soon. Going fishing in a couple of weeks so hoping to break it in then. I've only been ffing for a lil while so I'm not sure I'm capable of giving a thorough detailed opinion but will say if i like it or not. Will compare it to either sa mpx or rio gold that I normally fish on my 5wt. Will primarily be nymphing and throwing streamers.

Wild Thing

Reaction score
Appears this is a UK based web site but nothing wrong with that.

Pricing is in 'Pounds' which right now is about $1.30 to the USD. Only 'thing' wrong with buying like this is if there's a problem with the order you'll play hell getting same sorted.
That was exactly my experience this past summer. I ordered a Jeremy Lucas line, but received a Stuart Crofts line instead. The General Manager asked me to send it back and she would reimburse me the mailing cost. There were only 2 choices to send mail to the UK by Canada Post - one was cheap but provided no tracking number or insurance, so there would be no proof I sent it if it got lost in the mail going overseas. The other option was more expensive but had a tracking number and insurance, so I mailed it that way, to guarantee the line made it back to them and/or could be traced. I emailed the receipt for the mailing costs to the General Manager but she told me she would reimburse me only the amount they pay to mail items to customers. She also told me she would include some "freebies" in my next order to help make up the difference. I eventually received a refund of 8 euro. She shorted me 15 euro. After receiving the 8 euro partial refund, I emailed to ask if I would still get some freebies on my next order, since she reimbursed me only 1/3 of my cost to send their mistake back to them, but after 3 months I have still received no response. They made me, a conscientious customer, take the hit for their mistake. I don't care what their fly line is like. I will not support a company that has no integrity.