Best of the "60" dollar lines

hcampbell

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting some new line soon. Mine is just getting old, and its lesser quaility is starting to limit my casting ability. My rod is a 5wt though the line i have on it now is actually a 6wt so i might just get 6wt. I've already decided on a Cabelas Three Forks reel, it was cheap so i could get a more expensive line. So far i've looked at scientific angler mastery trout taper. Any other lines comparable price and performance wise?
Thanks for the opinions.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Look at the Allen Fly Lines available through this site. Justin has good products. I just picked up a nice 5wt WF floater for $10 bucks plus minimal shipping. You can go through a few of them before spending the $60 bucks on a premium line. Those who have used Justin's lines need to chime in here.
Just my $ .02 cents worth. Line prices have really gotten out of hand. I traded three dozen flies to an Orvis authorized guide for one of their newest and best floating fly lines that goes for $60 bucks. The welded loop on the terminal end gets stuck in the guides because it's so big, and, the tip still sinks when fishing it. I think the new ones are a bit overrated along with being overpriced. Give Allen fly lines a try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you get for the money.

Send Justin an e-mail to get the NAFF discount he offers to members here. here is his site: Allen & Co., Fly Line

Kelly.

hcampbell

Reaction score
the allen & Co. line looks like a good deal, and they have colors that the big brands don't have. I'll definitly consider it in my choices. Its really between that and the SA mastery i've heard the mastery is one of the best lines. I'll do some more research but at the price of the allen line i could get new line for my new reel and line for my old reel and still be well under the SA line.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
I apologize for not answering your original query. If you're wanting to pay for the $60 line then I'd go with the RIO products.

Kelly.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Matching the line to the rod is very important. What rod do you have?

Here are some options.

Designed for fast action rods: Rio Grand, Scientific Anglers Mastery GPX
Presentation: Rio Trout LT, Scientific Anglers Mastery XPS, Airflo Supple Technical
General purpose: Rio Gold, Scientific Anglers Mastery Trout, Airflo Supple Tactical Trout

It reads like you have a rod that you wish to slow the action down if you are uplining. If you choose a Rio Grand or Scientific Anglers Mastery GPX, you shouldn't need to upline since the line is uplined by half a line size.

MP

hcampbell

Reaction score
my rod is custom built. Its a forecast blank i'm i'm sure its a full action rod. I only use the 6 wt line on it because my martin rod is a 6wt and when i built this rod i just switched the reel onto it and use it now. I'm really intrested in the Allen & Co. lines because they seem like high quality, and the reviews i've seen online make it sound like they are a great company.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I concur with Kelly's recommendation for the Allen Fly Fishing lines, for that price how can you go wrong. I also have one of his trout reels, if your in the market they are hard to beat and if you send Justim a PM he offers forum members a pretty good discount on the reels.

Larry

hcampbell

Reaction score
i'll check out the discount but i'm really intrested in the cabelas reel. From the reviews it will handle all the fish i do and then some. And its only 24.99 thats a great price for a large arbor reel. The reels on Allen & Co do look realy nice though. They have a way more machined look wich is really cool.

jaybo41

Reaction score
MP provided solid information on the various line types. It can make a significant difference in the rod feel. I just went through this myself. I had a rod that was lined with Rio Grand, Medium Fast action and it really slowed the rod down. I switched to the LT and found a significant improvement. As you can tell I'm a Rio fan. I've tried Cortand, Orvis, SA and Rio seems to fit my needs the best. Nothing wrong with any of them, just go with a line that suits your rod action and casting style best.

I too have been hearing great things about Allen line , for the price it's hard to argue with. For that matter all of their products have been getting great reviews. A guy I've fished with has an Allen reel and he loves it. I was blown away at the appearance and quality for the price. If you are looking for a light weight reel, it's probably not the way to go as I thought it was of average or normal reel weight, but a nice reel to say the very least.

Hook & Hackle line I believe is made by Cortland, I know lots of guys from my area fish this and they are very pleased with it.

kelkay

Reaction score
I bought some Rio Selective Trout WF 6wt line for 25 bucks on Ebay from Bear's Den. I bought it to go on my new Allen XL 5/6wt reel. I hope that that size of line works, and that I didn't really need a 7wt line. Oh well, time will tell. I got the new line in today. I was gonna spool it all up, and then I realized I have no backing left here, when I thought I did. I think this line I got normally runs close to sixty dollars.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Kel,

The Selective Trout line has since been replaced by the Trout LT line. I'm not sure what the differences are, but they are likely very subtle. None the less if it's NIB, it's a great find!

I'd say the line size is ideal for the Allen Reel, the bigger question is what is the action on the rod you intend to fish it with? Better yet, what type of rod and model are you intending on pairing this up with?

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
My son just spooled up his new Allen line in a 5wt WF Floater for his 4wt rod and tried it out this weekend. He was extremely impressed at how the line performed as well as how well it floated.

Kelly.

FlyBum

Reaction score
One more for the allen fly lines I have 2 of them one a 6 wt and the other a 4 wt. Justin is great to deal with. I first 4wt I received was running line from tip to but, I contacted Justin and within a few days I had a new one.

I have owned popular reels that cost $400 and the Allen Reels I own are better then any of them. IMO if I were you I would really rethink that purchase of that Cabela's reel and purchase one of the Allen Reels.

greatcanadian

Reaction score
Another thumbs up for Allen lines. I currently have an 8 weight WFF. As I stated in another post, there is no way I will ever pony up 40, 50, or 60 bucks for fly line again. I also have Cortland 444 classic on my other 8 weight (it is a new line I had before I'd known about Allen) and there is no way it is worth the 60 bucks I paid for it when compared to the Allen line. I just ordered another Allen line (6 weight)...and ordered an Allen reel while I was at it!! The Allen lines are certainly more than satisfactory for me. The big name line companies will NEVER again get a penny from me. I won't recommend the Allen reel yet, as I haven't received it and have never used it. But I expect to be quite satisfied.

ssjchar

Reaction score
Another thumbs up for Allen lines. I currently have an 8 weight WFF. As I stated in another post, there is no way I will ever pony up 40, 50, or 60 bucks for fly line again. I also have Cortland 444 classic on my other 8 weight (it is a new line I had before I'd known about Allen) and there is no way it is worth the 60 bucks I paid for it when compared to the Allen line. I just ordered another Allen line (6 weight)...and ordered an Allen reel while I was at it!! The Allen lines are certainly more than satisfactory for me. The big name line companies will NEVER again get a penny from me. I won't recommend the Allen reel yet, as I haven't received it and have never used it. But I expect to be quite satisfied.
Hey Greatcanadian, how much was shipping for your Allen lines(assuming you're currently residing in Canada)? I recently bought 2 rio lines so I won't be needing any more lines anytime soon, but I'm still pretty curious.