Cracked welded loop

hcampbell

Reaction score
I'm planning on replacing my line soon. But my current line the welded loop has cracked and it gets the core wet causing it to sink after a while. If i cut the loop off and seal the tip will it chance the casting performance at all?

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
You'd have to cut off at least 8" to change the way it casts.... and you may like it better that way.
I agree with Rip Tide. Just make sure to seal the end of the fly line after cutting the loop off (Super Glue or some such after tying leader to fly line).

kelly.

milt spawn

Reaction score
okay thanks i'll make sure to do that.
there are a couple of alternatives, you can buy loops that heat shrink onto the end, or you can splice a leader on. the loops are available from cortland and i think rio. dave whitlock came up with system of splicing in leaders using a needle, pin vise, and zap-a-gap glue. it makes an almost seamless transition from line to leader. i have done this many times and only once has one broken and that was from a tree limb, not a fish. i have even done it whislt bobbing around in float tube. milt.

hcampbell

Reaction score
The shrink wrap on the pre formed loops seals the line correct? thats a good alternative because i still want to keep the quickness of leader changes. I was thinking of just tying on some 15 or 20 lb test and then tying a loop in the end of that for leader attachment.

patyer

Reaction score

hcampbell

Reaction score
would that work? the crack is pretty big now. wouldn't the glue be to stiff. I think i'll buy a pre formed loop and attach it. Thanks for all the help everyone. Theres just so much great knowledge on this.

mudbug

Reaction score
would that work? the crack is pretty big now. wouldn't the glue be to stiff. I think i'll buy a pre formed loop and attach it. Thanks for all the help everyone. Theres just so much great knowledge on this.

I'm not sure, but if it was me that would be the first thing I tried.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Here's a very simple and effective loop:

I made that loop (and a few others) after my welded loop(s) cracked. Simply cut the welded loop off, dab a tiny amount of CA on the end of the line to seal it, and fold it over. I used two whip finishes, covered with a pliable waterproof sealant. The stores near me didn't have Pilobond, so I used Loctite's version of the adhesive. After nearly a year of hard fishing with the loop above, it shows zero signs of wear. The line itself is wearing out, but the loop held perfectly. I bought something that included a Cortland pre-formed loop, and tried it because I was bored. It stinks. The loop I made is every bit as flexible as a welded loop, as I only coated the thread, and left space between the two thread wraps. Total time was about 10 minutes or less. ;)

hcampbell

Reaction score
thats a smart idea. So you just whipped it then did you cover the whole thing in adhesive?

FrankB2

Reaction score
I actually took that idea from RipTide. He uses 3 whips, but he fishes saltwater quite a bit. Only the thread is coated with Pliobond or its equivalent. There is a slight bit of overlap with the adhesive onto the line, but that picture is magnified quite a bit. Too much adhesive would only add weight, and make the loop less flexible. Just enough to seal the thread.... ;)