Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracked welded loop

1. Default Cracked welded loop

I'm planning on replacing my line soon. But my current line the welded loop has cracked and it gets the core wet causing it to sink after a while. If i cut the loop off and seal the tip will it chance the casting performance at all?

Default Re: Cracked welded loop

You'd have to cut off at least 8" to change the way it casts.... and you may like it better that way.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    You'd have to cut off at least 8" to change the way it casts.... and you may like it better that way.
    I agree with Rip Tide. Just make sure to seal the end of the fly line after cutting the loop off (Super Glue or some such after tying leader to fly line).

kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

4. Default Re: Cracked welded loop

okay thanks i'll make sure to do that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcampbell View Post
    okay thanks i'll make sure to do that.
    there are a couple of alternatives, you can buy loops that heat shrink onto the end, or you can splice a leader on. the loops are available from cortland and i think rio. dave whitlock came up with system of splicing in leaders using a needle, pin vise, and zap-a-gap glue. it makes an almost seamless transition from line to leader. i have done this many times and only once has one broken and that was from a tree limb, not a fish. i have even done it whislt bobbing around in float tube. milt.

6. Default Re: Cracked welded loop

The shrink wrap on the pre formed loops seals the line correct? thats a good alternative because i still want to keep the quickness of leader changes. I was thinking of just tying on some 15 or 20 lb test and then tying a loop in the end of that for leader attachment.

Instead of doing the piece of mono on the end, theres a good thread about putting a loop in the fly line yourself. Its not to difficult if you have the material and tools and time. Took me a couple tries but its solid. Theres the Thread link Making a loop on your Fly Line.

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bigredfly View Post
    Instead of doing the piece of mono on the end, theres a good thread about putting a loop in the fly line yourself. Its not to difficult if you have the material and tools and time. Took me a couple tries but its solid. Theres the Thread link Making a loop on your Fly Line.

-Ben
    I recently had the welded loop break on my SA line and I did that. Has held solid this entire season.

Why not just use Pliobond or Loon UV wader repair glue to patch the crack in the existing loop?

10. Default Re: Cracked welded loop

would that work? the crack is pretty big now. wouldn't the glue be to stiff. I think i'll buy a pre formed loop and attach it. Thanks for all the help everyone. Theres just so much great knowledge on this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast