Line recommendations for Sage ONE 691

viggysmalls

Reaction score
I'm am the proud new owner of a Sage ONE 691-4! I needed a six weight and could not pass up the closeout deals.

Anyway, next step is finding a line. I won't be able to try any before hand unfortunately. I'm leaning towards the Airflo Exceed or SA MPX lines. I've heard Rio Gold is a good fit for the ONE as well. I've been very impressed with the durability of Airflo lines, and am slightly leaning towards that one.

The rod will be used for a wide variety of things, including big(ish) and small streamers, occasionally sink tips, nymph rigs, bass poppers, and dries. I'd say it'll be about 50% streamers, 30% nymphs, and 20% dries.

Distance casting is not the main priority as most of the fishing will be within 70 feet. It will likely become my go-to rod for windy days though.

Any suggestions?

seattlesetters

Reaction score
I'm am the proud new owner of a Sage ONE 691-4! I needed a six weight and could not pass up the closeout deals.

Anyway, next step is finding a line. I won't be able to try any before hand unfortunately. I'm leaning towards the Airflo Exceed or SA MPX lines. I've heard Rio Gold is a good fit for the ONE as well. I've been very impressed with the durability of Airflo lines, and am slightly leaning towards that one.

The rod will be used for a wide variety of things, including big(ish) and small streamers, occasionally sink tips, nymph rigs, bass poppers, and dries. I'd say it'll be about 50% streamers, 30% nymphs, and 20% dries.

Distance casting is not the main priority as most of the fishing will be within 70 feet. It will likely become my go-to rod for windy days though.

Any suggestions?
For varied work, especially in the wind: Rio Perception.

Hands down. No question.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
I use Rio Gold WF6 on mine but I use it primarily for dry flies in the wind or when I'm chasing some larger trout with dries. I can't comment on it's performance specifically on the rod for streamers. Gold is also fine for bobber/nymph chucking but open that loop because it's an awful thin tip that I've shredded with too tight of a loop and a nice smack on the blank. I use my 690 XP for that work now and a 690 Xi3 for my streamer chucking. The ONE is a darn fine dry fly rod.

iracmiller

Reaction score
Pocono Pines Pa near the Brodhead/Bushkill/Lackawa
I have a Douglas Sky 9' 6wt. Having cast and fished the One, I'd say that the Sky is very comparable with a bit softer tip and a bit less swing weight. I use Rio In Touch Gold on it for a general purpose line. However, if I know I'll be throwing weighted streamers over 2 1/2" and nymph rigs, I'll use SA Sharkwave Anadro. With its long head and extenuated rear taper its great for throwing meat. It is, however, over weighted, so if you want delicate dry fly presentations, look elsewhere. Take a look at Trident's Fly Line Shootout for an in depth review.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I would go with MPX, Perception, or Xceed for the purposes you listed. MPX is my personal choice for my 6 weight VXP, which is a bit softer, but still casts great even at distance. Should be an even better fit for the One.

Last edited:

viggysmalls

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! Some good advice to consider.

It may partially depend on what my local shop has to offer. I generally like trying to support them when possible, but their selection is sometimes limited. If they have any of the MPX, Exceed, or Perception in a 6, I'll probably take it. If they have more than one of those, I'll have to make a decision...

clouserguyky

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! Some good advice to consider.

It may partially depend on what my local shop has to offer. I generally like trying to support them when possible, but their selection is sometimes limited. If they have any of the MPX, Exceed, or Perception in a 6, I'll probably take it. If they have more than one of those, I'll have to make a decision...
Let us know what you decide. I've never casted Xceed, but looking at it's taper, it is a lot like SA GPX, the predecessor of MPX, which was probably the most famous trout line ever after Gold. Perception is pretty similar to that but is built on a low-stretch core that may or may not benefit your fishing needs. For me, MPX has been the winner (although I really want to try Perception on a Sage I got last year) because it has a slightly more refined taper than GPX was, and I can present better with it than with GPX. I have not casted Perception or Xceed though, just looked at their taper charts.
They're all three pretty similar though, so you'll be good to grab whichever one your shop has. I agree with your desire to support the local shop!

MPX

Xceed

Perception

comeonavs

Reaction score
I use on my 691-4 ONE , Gold for all around dry, small streamer and bobber fishing and it's 100% fine. I also have a reel with Rio InTouch streamer tip WF6S6 for dedicated streamer days and it works real well. I also have the same exact for my 7wt ONE, Except on the 7wt the Gold I have is WF8. It works fine, I had the line tried it, and saw no reason to guy shell out more $ for the WF7.

viggysmalls

Reaction score
Just wanted to let folks know what I ended up with. Even though it was not on my original list of contenders, I ended up with an Airflo Elite line. I was looking at the Exceed and MPX, but when I found the Elite on the discount rack in a 6 weight, I figured I couldn't pass it up. Also, if I really didn't like it, I thought I could just switch it up for something else.

I haven't actually fished with it yet, but when lawn casting I was overall very pleased. I was worried the rod would not load well and feel disconnected in close, but I was managing to hit my targets just fine. On that note, I will say that accuracy of this rod is very impressive. I certainly wouldn't call it "sweet" in close, but it got the job done. Once I had even 30+ feet out, the line was casting beautifully.

I'll have to reserve my final opinions until I am able to get it out on the water, but I think I will be very happy.

el jefe

Reaction score
Just wanted to let folks know what I ended up with. Even though it was not on my original list of contenders, I ended up with an Airflo Elite line. I was looking at the Exceed and MPX, but when I found the Elite on the discount rack in a 6 weight, I figured I couldn't pass it up. Also, if I really didn't like it, I thought I could just switch it up for something else.

I haven't actually fished with it yet, but when lawn casting I was overall very pleased. I was worried the rod would not load well and feel disconnected in close, but I was managing to hit my targets just fine. On that note, I will say that accuracy of this rod is very impressive. I certainly wouldn't call it "sweet" in close, but it got the job done. Once I had even 30+ feet out, the line was casting beautifully.

I'll have to reserve my final opinions until I am able to get it out on the water, but I think I will be very happy.
I use the Elite on a 906-FB Radian, and it performs very well. I'm not surprised that you find that line casts well on a One, and I expect you'll like fishing with it. As a bonus, that line actually floats, too.:D

scotty macfly

Reaction score
As a fan of Airflo lines, and the Sage One being a canon, the Airflo River & Stream is one whole weight higher than what its rated for. In other words a 5wt R&S line is actually a 6wt.

That would be what I would choose. Airflo River&Stream 6wt.

The Exceed isn't that much different than the Elite. The Elite and Exceed work very well on my Radian, and the Radian is not as fast as the Sage One. The River & Stream is too much on the Radian, but I can imagine it would bring that One to life.