Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 08-12-2017, 03:01 PM

Location: Northwest New Jersey, Big Flatbrook right over the hill
falcon53 is on a distinguished road
Default Tropical vs Cold Water Fly Lines

There was a discussion in a fly shop regarding Tropical Series (70 - 100 deg) vs Cold Water Series (50 - 80 deg) fly lines. The shop manager indicated that you could use a Tropical line in a cold environment but could not use a Cold Water line in a tropical situation. He did not mention any extreme temperature differences such as 40 deg water or 90 deg water.

Is this a valid point? I am interested in people's opinion that have more experience in salt water fly fishing.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2017, 06:32 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tropical vs Cold Water Fly Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon53 View Post
There was a discussion in a fly shop regarding Tropical Series (70 - 100 deg) vs Cold Water Series (50 - 80 deg) fly lines. The shop manager indicated that you could use a Tropical line in a cold environment but could not use a Cold Water line in a tropical situation. He did not mention any extreme temperature differences such as 40 deg water or 90 deg water.

Is this a valid point? I am interested in people's opinion that have more experience in salt water fly fishing.

Thanks
Sweetandsalt would know. Until S&s responds, I think the manager is mistaken from what I've read.

Maybe there have been some new developments but until I hear about them, I would believe Chico Fernadez who wrote, "However, what happens if you are redfishing with these same tropical lines during the winter in Texas, Louisiana, or South Carolina, or for Nantucket flats stripers early or late in the season? Or even on a cold day in South Florida? The stiffness factor becomes a liability, and the line will come out of the reel looking like a tempered steel spring. Here you need to go back to a fly line with the same 40-foot head, but now but with a softer braided-nylon core."

Line of Sight | MidCurrent

Other references:

"Conversely, tropical lines get a bit stiffer, and develop troublesome memory on the coldest Florida winter days. That is when it is time to switch back to standard fly lines built on more-supple cores."

Tips & Tactics: Fly lines to beat the heat – Fly Life Magazine

"Fly lines that are designed to be used in tropical climates have a monofilament core while those designed to be used in temperate climates are made up of a multifilament (braided) core. Basically, monofilament is stiffer than braid so in temperatures above roughly 75 degrees mono will hold its rigidity whereas below 75 degrees mono will become too stiff and holds an extreme amount of memory when you strip it off of the reel. Conversely, cold water lines (those with the braided core) work well in cooler temperatures but tend to cast like a limp piece of spaghetti in higher temperatures. For us here in the Lowcountry we have cold winters and hot summers so we need to swap out our winter and summer lines when the air temperature starts to regularly hover above or below 75 degrees."

Cold vs Warm Water Fly Lines | Hiton Head Fishing Adventures

The Airflo Saltwater Cold Striper Line Is Cooler Than Cool | Fly Fishing | Gink and Gasoline | How to Fly Fish | Trout Fishing | Fly Tying | Fly Fishing Blog

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks falcon53 thanked for this post
Old 08-12-2017, 11:07 PM

karstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant future

I've run into some stiffness with tropical lines in the winter in coastal Texas. The lines haven't become unusable, but just stiff and not as fun to use. I just dealt with the less than ideal line for the season. I think there is a big personality component to fly fishing. Do you demand A1 perfection in your line and everything else or do you work around less than ideal line and other potential issues.. Only the particular individual can answer that question. And there isn't a right answer beyond the individual.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:44 PM

pnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to all

Only time I ever noticed problem was last October. Had gone to NY without thinking about line. Line must have been tropic because it was stiff. However most lines I use are not. And most of my fishing is at night. That could make a difference.
Thinking about it. It may have happened since with reg line. Club outing a couple of months ago. After sun rose and heat started building. Rather suddenly I had to work to keep line in air. Felt like line just wanted to fall. Hmmmmm.....

........ pc

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Sorry, to answer question. No ! Tropic lines in cold weather are no good.
Karstopo, pointed out. Texas coast is about as far north as you can go in winter.
From growing up in NE...... gulf doesn't ever get cold. It's just cooler.
Thinking more about this..... I must be using more tropic than I thought. Between freshwater and glass rods for salt. I bought 8 or 9 lines this year. Think all they sell in Florida is tropic......lol. I know friend only has tropic lines in shop. We were talking about that today. Customer asked about line for going north. After his leaving (left with used line from backroom for free) friend said it was second time in 5 yrs. that someone had asked.

....... pc
Old 08-13-2017, 10:18 PM

ryc72 is on a distinguished road

Fished an 8wt rio bonefish line this morning in Martha's Vineyard and I couldn't tell the difference in the line when casting. I'd say water temp was in the 60s. That being said I'm not a good caster and there's a good chance there was a difference in the line and I just couldn't tell the difference. I did confirm though that my double haul is just as bad here as it is in the carribean.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:39 PM

pnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to all

Lol....... keep working on the dbl haul. It's all timing, you'll get it.
60 ....... thats cold for the summer. What was the air temp ?

........ pc
Old 08-14-2017, 08:04 AM

robinfick is on a distinguished road

My experience with the warm water and tropical lines of Scientific Anglers is that they fish fine in water down to 13degrees centigrade in winter where I stay. Tropical Airflo lines are a struggle to cast in colder conditions. Now only purchase SA warm water lines for all my fishing regardless of season.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:14 AM

karstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinfick View Post
My experience with the warm water and tropical lines of Scientific Anglers is that they fish fine in water down to 13degrees centigrade in winter where I stay. Tropical Airflo lines are a struggle to cast in colder conditions. Now only purchase SA warm water lines for all my fishing regardless of season.
I have the Airflo Bruce Chard Tropical punch on a couple of reels and yes it gets pretty stiff on cooler water/air days. I put on some SA Sharkwave Titan taper, but I haven't been out in the winter with it.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:28 AM

akos75 will become famous soon enough

Rio tropical lines can be fished in even lower temperatures than the SA ones. I had zero problems fishing them for pikes in the winter.

Don't try to make experiments with going to a tropical destination without the proper lines. As the temperature rises the normal coldwater lines can suddenly become extremely limp and uncastable. They hang in the guides like overcooked spaghetti. A couple of years ago I thought the SA Streamer Express Clear - which is a pretty stiff line - will work in the heat too. As I started fishing in the morning it was perfect and as it got warmer it became unusable within a couple of minutes. It was very interesting, I couldn't imagine the change will be so dramatic.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryc72 View Post
Fished an 8wt rio bonefish line this morning in Martha's Vineyard and I couldn't tell the difference in the line when casting. I'd say water temp was in the 60s. That being said I'm not a good caster and there's a good chance there was a difference in the line and I just couldn't tell the difference. I did confirm though that my double haul is just as bad here as it is in the carribean.
You must have been fishing a spot close to or on the Atlantic side rather than Nantucket Sound. I remember being off Monomoy Island above Nantucket in the summer and the water in the Sound being in the 70's and the water in the Atlantic in the high 50's. The change would happen in the space of a couple of miles.

I never double haul fly fishing salt or fresh. Some people say that a double haul is a absolute requirement for successful salt water fly fishing, but I guess that isn't true where I fish. I mostly sight and structure fish and am able to connect with plenty of quality fish in a variety of conditions and at various distances in spite of my disability. I'm not sure it's in the DNA of everyone to have the ability to develop this skill. After a while, I said the heck with trying to learn the double haul. Who says you have to be coordinated to be able to fly fish? Learn the double haul and perfect it if you are able to or determined to, but don't be too hard on yourself if you don't. From what I've seen on random YouTube videos of people fly fishing, there are a lot of people who look like much like me trying to double haul and sort of move their arms around in a mostly counterproductive way and grimacing all the while they are at it, but it's not clear that they realize they are struggling quite so much or looking so miserable while attempting to double haul. Lots of folks enjoy golf that can't hit the 300 yard drive and there's plenty of enjoyment out there for the fly fishing person that doesn't have an effective double haul.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

There's really two distances I think about when sight fishing. What's the maximum distance that I will possibly spook the fish and what's my effective casting range. Those numbers vary with the conditions, but it's been a long time since I couldn't get within casting range and stay out of spooking range.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes markg52 liked this post