Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Default Sink Tip or Poly Leaders

Has anyone used poly leaders? I'm looking for a line for a 907 wt. sage one as a dedicated streamer rod. Not sure if putting a sink tip or using a floating line with poly leaders would work.

2. Default Re: Sink Tip or Poly Leaders

Quote Originally Posted by fc1955 View Post
    Has anyone used poly leaders? I'm looking for a line for a 907 wt. sage one as a dedicated streamer rod. Not sure if putting a sink tip or using a floating line with poly leaders would work.
    Poly leaders are great. There are certain situations where a true sink tip will work better, especially the kind that are built with different densities to prevent a sharp hinge like Sonar Titan Triple Density.. That being said, I use poly leaders a LOT more than any sinking line because I'd rather cast a floating line than a sinking line any day, and the shorter poly leaders cast really well and let me turn over as long of a tippet as I could want. (I like the 5 foot Airflo poly leaders and the 7' Rio Versaleaders.) They work for on all but the largest rivers I fish. I like the floating ones too for some dry fly work, but don't use those nearly as much as the sinking ones.

3. Likes el jefe, myt1, karstopo liked this post

Default Re: Sink Tip or Poly Leaders

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Over 20 years of fly fishing and I have never used a sinking line. I said this in another thread, but most anglers would struggle casting a full sink line. That being said, I spent my first 15 plus years without anything. Than built sinking leaders from old full sink lines, cutting and whip finishing the ends to 7 or 10 feet. Now I use the versaleaders, and absolutely love them. I would suggest this instead of a full sinking line or sink tip up front to save money and see if you really want them.
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com

I bought a 907 One this past winter and ended up getting 3 lines and reels for it. A nautilus spooled with a Rio Bonefish and two Sage 2280's. One spooled with a Rio Gold and the other with a sink tip. The Sage reels and line were on clearance so it cost about the same as one reel and line.

Bring them all. Never hurts to switch things up. A lot of variables why one would choose fluoro/mono tapered leader/custom tied leader/poly or T or Z sink tips.

Entire chapters to books could be written on subject. I must say casting a 7.5' intermediate poly leader w/ a mid sized streamer is nice.

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Ard has some blogs out there on this topic (polyleaders and the like), and he has some very interesting suggestions on rigging for sub-surface endeavors. He makes a whole lot of sense.

9. Default Re: Sink Tip or Poly Leaders

I think for larger streamers - and a 7 wt would seem to be a rod for that purpose - a sinktip is a better choice. The Rio Streamertip line has either an intermediate or a type 6 sinking tip off a floating line, and casts really well. The intermediate tip is great, and you can still mend. Turns over really big bugs, and doesn't hinge.

I have been using poly leaders or versileaders. I listened to a podcast of Shawn Combs talking about fishing this way. I tried it and liked it for smallmouth. Now I have been casting streamers in the driftless using the same setup only in a 5wt. I think for me though it is the ease of portability. I don't want to carry a second spool while wading. I can quickly switch to a polyleader from my floating Titan Taper or Siege.

I use both sink tips and sinking poly leaders for steelhead fishing. I use sink tips with a skagit head exclusively in the winter. In the fall when water temps start dropping I can use a scandi head and easily switch back and forth from a mono leader for surface presentations to the poly leader when I want to go down a bit on the swing.