The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  211
Dislikes Dislikes:  5

Old 10-12-2017, 08:11 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly line prices = extortion?

My #8 RIO Flats Pro arrived for my upcoming trip yesterday. As I have written previously, I like the welded loops that come on many fly lines today but don't trust that their strength is equal to the standing lines. After all they are not structural but a thermo-chemical bonding performed by hand. So, it has become my habit to wrap a 12+ turn Nail Knot over the doubled portion of the loop using 20# Fluor and lightly coating it with UV curing (via a flashlight) Clear Cure Goo, thus mechanically reinforcing and precluding the potential for the loop to split.

I am currently rigging and leader constructing like crazy with less than a week prior to my departure. I look at the loop on the end of Flats Pro and it looks different as if a sleeve has been added to the weld...in fact on the front one they have printed the model and line size too, all new to me. So I call RIO technical services and they proudly admit they have added the additional craftsmanship of reinforcement and printed ID on their premium lines and hope to incorporate it more widely but it is costly in time and effort and they lack the capacity to execute it on all lines.

We are taking six outfits ranging from #8 to 11-weight on this adventure and three are receiving new lines and all are to have my hand built, designed by me, all Fluorocarbon leaders. Fine rods and reels mean little if the component that presents the fly does not perform optimally and that is the line and leader.

We are taking a dauntingly long plane ride involving three flights and going somewhere where zero fly fishing material services are available or even known much about. Yes, I am bringing several spare lines with me too. In the overall scheme of this once in a lifetime trip, my lines and leaders are very important but their cost is comparatively insignificant.
Dislikes stinger22 disliked this post
Old 10-12-2017, 08:29 AM

mtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nice

After reviewing this thread...can I just say how ridiculous this is.
Several of you talk about your Sage XYZ and Winston ABC as if they are precious commodities and how great it is to own a $700 or more rod. Beginners get on here and ask about what 'beginner' rods they should buy, and the same people complaining about how expensive fly lines are, are recommending $400 rods.
Than I read posts about to many lines. They got this line and that line and 500 others. But not one of you guys tell a beginner a 9ft 6wt can be a euro nymphing rod as well as a streamer rod as well as a dry fly rod. Heck, some of the same people complaining about to many lines, brag about having specialized rods!
I fish with a $200 fly rod. It catches just as many fish as a $1000 rod or a $20 rod. But lets not be hypocrites and complain about the cost of and number or rods!
Likes Joey Bagels, ejsell, Rip Tide, philip43 liked this post
Old 10-12-2017, 08:35 AM

Joey Bagels has much to be proud ofJoey Bagels has much to be proud ofJoey Bagels has much to be proud ofJoey Bagels has much to be proud ofJoey Bagels has much to be proud ofJoey Bagels has much to be proud ofJoey Bagels has much to be proud ofJoey Bagels has much to be proud ofJoey Bagels has much to be proud of

Preach on brotha!!! My Ross Worldwide and Scientific Angler rods matched with bargain basement, discontinued SA lines seem to be just fine for the fish I harass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ejsell, karstopo, philip43 liked this post
Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 AM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

I have perspective. For the first 8 years or so of my fly fishing life I had one rod outfit, an 8' for HDH line with a Medalist 1492 and an Aircell DT. I fished that line till it literally fell apart. Today, half a century latter, I have many rods, reels and lines not just for fresh but saltwater too. I still recommend to someone new to our sport that they start with modest, all-round tackle...one learns over time with experince what they need or want.

Most importantly tackle should be matched to the habitat and techniques the angler is fishing. When I fish a smaller freestone stream today (admittedly not often) I still fish a 1984 low modulus, low tech Orvis 8'/#4 I bought for about $129 new back then with a spring and pawl reel and simple SA Mastery Trout. It is optimal for such environments but less so for the technical presentations applicable on say, the Henry' Fork. There I select a modern, high performance 9'/#5 with a reel with a large arbor and smooth infinitely adjustable drag, an advanced presentation style fly line and a 16' leader...it is what is appropriate to that habitat.

Fishermen catch fish and do so regardless of the price or even sophistication of their tackle. I believe quality equipment enhances but is not responsible for skill development. One area not to scrimp on though is good lines and leaders well matched to your chosen rod...they are where the rubber meets the road.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:25 PM

steveid will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
One area not to scrimp on though is good lines and leaders well matched to your chosen rod...they are where the rubber meets the road.
This. ^^^^

People have a tendency to cheap out on the critical, yet less expensive part of all their hobby pursuits. Just the nature of how our brains work.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes philip43 liked this post
Old 10-12-2017, 09:37 PM

Joey Bagels has much to be proud ofJoey Bagels has much to be proud ofJoey Bagels has much to be proud ofJoey Bagels has much to be proud ofJoey Bagels has much to be proud ofJoey Bagels has much to be proud ofJoey Bagels has much to be proud ofJoey Bagels has much to be proud ofJoey Bagels has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveid View Post
This. ^^^^

People have a tendency to cheap out on the critical, yet less expensive part of all their hobby pursuits. Just the nature of how our brains work.

Inexpensive does not equal inferior. A. J. McClane used inexpensive, though quality gear as a way of showing the common man that you don't need to blow wads of cash to catch fish. Jack Dennis similarly points out how nobody needs rods costing many hundreds or even thousands of dollars. It's very easy to fall into the money pit of belief that spending lots of cash makes for a fulfilling experience and automatically means owning the very best of the best. Often times, the actual value is psychological, not material.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes el jefe, karstopo, fredaevans liked this post
Old 10-13-2017, 03:29 AM

steveid will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bagels View Post
Inexpensive does not equal inferior. A. J. McClane used inexpensive, though quality gear as a way of showing the common man that you don't need to blow wads of cash to catch fish. Jack Dennis similarly points out how nobody needs rods costing many hundreds or even thousands of dollars. It's very easy to fall into the money pit of belief that spending lots of cash makes for a fulfilling experience and automatically means owning the very best of the best. Often times, the actual value is psychological, not material.

When I referred to "inexpensive," I was referring to the least expensive component of a setup (in this case - rod, reel and line). Folks will buy the $800 rod and try to save $20 on the line.

Not familiar with AJ McClane, never heard of her.
Likes fredaevans liked this post
Old 10-13-2017, 05:11 AM

Lewis Chessman is a jewel in the roughLewis Chessman is a jewel in the roughLewis Chessman is a jewel in the roughLewis Chessman is a jewel in the rough

I live happily on a low income. Fishing is my sole passion and I'm lucky enough to work on world class water so my fishing is free. Any spare cash is spent on the sport (or whisky) and once I had a nice rod & reel (or three!) the importance of the line came more into focus.

For many years S.A. Mastery Series were my go-to choice. Good lines, good price. However, I now only buy Barrio lines for my trouting. Imo, better and cheaper. Boisker has mentioned them already. There's a NAFF thread on them here, a UK FFF thread here.
scoutm says in post 16 that his GT50 took 8 days to arrive from the UK and cost him $38.27. Worth a punt?

Conversely, I fish the Carron Spey line Ard mentions at $140 because that's the nicest Spey line I've met, so please don't think I'm compromising with the economical Barrios. Shame they don't make a trad Spey line - yet.

I've no association with either company, I just think Barrio lines phenomenal value for money and the complete opposite of 'extortionate'.
James.
Likes throssing liked this post
Old 10-13-2017, 05:53 AM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future

If the Barrio GT lines are to your liking and you dabble in SHS fishing , the SLX series is worth taking a peak at too. It is not going to deliver the larger weighted streamers , a OPST is better for that but for normal flies it is a nice line at a reasonable price.
Likes Lewis Chessman liked this post
Old 10-13-2017, 09:49 AM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
After reviewing this thread...can I just say how ridiculous this is.
Several of you talk about your Sage XYZ and Winston ABC as if they are precious commodities and how great it is to own a $700 or more rod. Beginners get on here and ask about what 'beginner' rods they should buy, and the same people complaining about how expensive fly lines are, are recommending $400 rods.
Than I read posts about to many lines. They got this line and that line and 500 others. But not one of you guys tell a beginner a 9ft 6wt can be a euro nymphing rod as well as a streamer rod as well as a dry fly rod. Heck, some of the same people complaining about to many lines, brag about having specialized rods!
I fish with a $200 fly rod. It catches just as many fish as a $1000 rod or a $20 rod. But lets not be hypocrites and complain about the cost of and number or rods!
Preach it brutha! That was a high end rant. Like Abel nice. Do you feel better now?
Likes karstopo liked this post