Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  211
Dislikes Dislikes:  5

Old 10-14-2017, 09:20 PM

Location: Northwest New Jersey, Big Flatbrook right over the hill
falcon53 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly line prices = extortion?

No disrespect intended. However, AJ fished in a time period and in places where one could catch fish on sweater hair tied to a hook. I know he was a good angler with a lot of fishing knowledge. For some reason I can never finish reading one of his books.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:39 PM

pnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
After reviewing thread...can I just say how ridiculous this is.
Several of you talk about your Sage XYZ and Winston ABC as if they are precious commodities and how great it is to own a $700 or more rod. Beginners get on here and ask about what 'beginner' rods they should buy, and the same people complaining about how expensive fly lines are, are recommending $400 rods.
Than I read posts about to many lines. They got this line and that line and 500 others. But not one of you guys tell a beginner a 9ft 6wt can be a euro nymphing rod as well as a streamer rod as well as a dry fly rod. Heck, some of the same people complaining about to many lines, brag about having specialized rods!
I fish with a $200 fly rod. It catches just as many fish as a $1000 rod or a $20 rod. But lets not be hypocrites and complain about the cost of and number or rods!
I don't think people are being hypocritical. Recommendations for rods, lines are usually based on experience. Experience varies from one to another. Unfortunately some starting out & even some with years under the belt. Believe line to be a cure all for casting woes. Same for rods. So recommendations for either are personal outlooks based on experience. Or lack thereof.
Over time, & if enough time is spent. One comes to the realization that line is not as important as once thought. I have $20.- Eagle Claws & Sage X's. Specialty rods, those to. I build them from old glass rods. Other than whether a line is floating or sinking I could care less who made it. It just doesn't matter.
As said who made a rod or line doesn't put fish on your line. It can help though. Those yet to become proficient at casting.
Mentioned was cost not being a factor to success. While being true for the most part. I can only guess, you've never seen a reel smoke.

........ pc
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes falcon53 liked this post
Old 10-16-2017, 05:22 AM

eastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant futureeastfly66 has a brilliant future

Maybe I missed it but I just took notice that all the top end Rio lines have gone from $89.99 to $99.99.....oh well, it is what it is. If your not in crisis mode and need the line now, just wait a while and they will be half price or less. I'm sure they will introduce a new technology (more likely a new box) and the current lines will be obsolete. That is how I have an inventory of trout lines that will last me to around my 81st birthday (25 years +/-).

That would be if a rotate a line out every 3 years in each line class 5 & 6. In 4 weight I probably have 16 years assuming a 3 year life which would require a whole lot of fishing......maybe I should retire and get to work trashing lines.

Saltwater lines are next, just waiting til the time is right .....

Sure, go for it Rio, make my day I know what YOU'RE thinking, change the picture on that box and you'll sell more lines right ? Well, this here is a Paypal account loaded with disposable income just ready to clear that discounted inventory right off the shelf. So what's it going to be Rio ? Do you feel lucky ?

Last edited by eastfly66; 10-16-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Lewis Chessman, Joey Bagels liked this post
Old 10-16-2017, 05:31 AM

dynaflow has a spectacular aura aboutdynaflow has a spectacular aura about

I can't stand it any more..it's "I know what YOU'RE thinking" as in "you are" not "your" ....this has slipped into common usage now and it sucks.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks eastfly66, Joey Bagels thanked for this post
Likes steveid, el jefe, just4grins liked this post
Old 10-16-2017, 08:07 AM

el jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant futureel jefe has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Fly line prices = extortion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
I can't stand it any more..it's "I know what YOU'RE thinking" as in "you are" not "your" ....this has slipped into common usage now and it sucks.
Your prolly right.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes karstopo, dynaflow liked this post
Old 10-16-2017, 09:25 AM

karstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant future

I like that there are $100 plus fly lines and ones that are sub $20 and the in between. How is having a range of choices a bad thing? My experience has been I'm glad I've had the $100 line (I might not have paid $100 for it) line on for some rods and for some applications and the $20 line has been just fine for others.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:46 AM

just4grins is on a distinguished road

I think we've beaten this horse to death.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:56 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4grins View Post
Or strangled it with coils of fly line. It's too bad it is so difficult to field test different models of lines as for some rod/angler combinations, different lines make a truly substantive difference and yes, sometimes the less expensive line is better...sometimes not.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:52 PM

dynaflow has a spectacular aura aboutdynaflow has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4grins View Post
It's a Forum...some threads go on forever