Fly line prices = extortion?

cwb124

Reaction score
I don't know if it's been discussed here but is there a worse value product in fly fishing than fly lines? $100 for a high end WF fly line? You have got to be kidding me. When did these prices soar like this and why do we allow it to happen by buying them? I just bought a Cortland 444 Spring Creek line for $59 which is about as low as you can get a decent line. I completely balk at the Rio/Orvis high priced lines. How much can those lines possibly cost to make?

Is there any worse value in our sport?

eastfly66

Reaction score
Just a wild guess but I am willing to bet you don't have Abel nippers..huh ? ....:)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have 7 or 8 of these that I use. 15 bucks, free shipping,
Made in Ontario by Northern Sports
You're not going to get them confused with a $100 line but you're not going to feel like you've been cheated either.
You can also find Northern Sports lines in shops under the AquaNova brand

(fingernail clippers for me... but you knew that ;))

el jefe

Reaction score
The short answer is, "Yes!" One would think that the automation would have reduced manufacturing and--to some extent--R&D costs. And I believe that to be true. The savings have found their way into the income statement, not your wallet. Once the parameters are set, the manufacturing of the fly line should be fairly inexpensive. Proof? Look at the recent proliferation in fly lines. If current R&D and manufacturing costs were indeed that high, those new fly lines would not be priced the same as their older brethren. There are a handful of exceptions, but by and large the new models and tapers are priced consistently with the older models, and the older models do not decrease in price.

boisker

Reaction score
I don't know if it's been discussed here but is there a worse value product in fly fishing than fly lines? $100 for a high end WF fly line? You have got to be kidding me. When did these prices soar like this and why do we allow it to happen by buying them? I just bought a Cortland 444 Spring Creek line for $59 which is about as low as you can get a decent line. I completely balk at the Rio/Orvis high priced lines. How much can those lines possibly cost to make?

Is there any worse value in our sport?
Try the barrio range
Fantastic lines, only £25 in UK... free postage anywhere, I use the gt90 on radian 4 and 6 w, it's a true to weight line... so if you like a heavier line like the gold may not be for you.
I also use the small stream... which... and this hopefully won't surprise you... is designed for small streams with short amounts of line out the tip.
For the money I haven't come across a better line, I've got a gold for the 4w and an airflo bandit for the 6w but prefer to the barrio.
Be with you in no time if you ordered
GT90 | Barrio Fly Lines

eastfly66

Reaction score
I have 7 or 8 of these that I use. 15 bucks, free shipping,
Made in Ontario by Northern Sports
The also make many of not most of the re branded lines and private label. I believe they bought out the former Shakesphere company.....did I spell that right ???

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The also make many of not most of the re branded lines and private label. I believe they bought out the former Shakesphere company.....did I spell that right ???
That's what they are... private label lines
I bought my first one from a booth at the Worcester Sportsman’s show in 1981.
It's still on a reel but I haven't used it in forever... no cracks though !

eastfly66

Reaction score
Ditto , I have a couple myself with zero complaints.

denver1911

Reaction score
Has nothing to do with the cost to make them. We will pay those prices. The market has spoken. I say we, because I am included. If you want to blame someone for the high price of a top-tier fly line, start with me.

That said, there are plenty of great fly lines available for half the price.

spm

Reaction score
That's what they are... private label lines
I have Hook & Hackle's Classic Hi Floater on a couple of my rods. It's their private label fly line. Don't know who makes it for them. May be your Northern Sports company. $40, and occasionally (now) on sale for $30. I have no issues with it. It can cast as far as I can.

Thanks,
steve

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I wouldn't know how to evaluate why anything costs what it does but I can say that an enormous amount of in-house and field testing goes into the development/introduction of a fly line. As a sight fisher both for surface feeding trout and tropical flats saltwater species I have been through a lot of fly lines going back to early 1960's Air Cell. Lines make a substantial difference in both fly rod and fly fisher performance.

There are some fine values in mid-priced lines from RIO, SA and Cortland; RIO's $55 Avid comes to mind which are what I mount on all our PHWFF TFO outfits. I'm currently enamored with Cortland's Omni-Verse lines which retail for $80 but my next new line will be for an upcoming October flats adventure which I anticipate will be RIO's new Flats Pro for $120. If it is almost as good as the advance reports suggest, it will be worth every penny and its cost would be unnoticeable in the grand scheme of multi-airline travel to a flats destination.

With all the advancements in fly rod technology and design over the decades they pale in comparison with the improvements in modern lines and leaders. Though I do have and enjoy them, precision nippers not so much.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have Hook & Hackle's Classic Hi Floater on a couple of my rods. It's their private label fly line. Don't know who makes it for them. May be your Northern Sports company. $40, and occasionally (now) on sale for $30. I have no issues with it. It can cast as far as I can.

Thanks,
steve
Cortland makes those
Well worth the money

spm

Reaction score
Cortland makes those
Well worth the money
Rip,
Have you bought anything else from Discount Tackle? I'm looking at a tying vice on their site; $100, comp $150. You wouldn't happen to know who makes it?

Thanks,
steve

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Rip,
Have you bought anything else from Discount Tackle? I'm looking at a tying vice on their site; $100, comp $150. You wouldn't happen to know who makes it?
Factory second hip boots and a rod. Both were outstanding deals
The rod was Scottish made Diawa 8', 4wt.. one of my favorite rods ever. 50 bucks

Call them if you want info...they've been very helpful in my limited experience.

bloomagoo

Reaction score
Returning to fly line prices, while manufacturing costs may have dropped there has been an explosion in SKUs. Think about how many different tapers there are in different line weights. Now add in species specific lines, different sink tips, and the packaging that goes with each. It's like being in the clothing or shoe industry. We know it costs pennies to manufacture (using sweat shops and child labor) but you still pay a whole heck of a lot more.

BTW, nobody is forcing anybody to pay top dollar for fly lines. You can get an Orvis Clearwater line for $39. You can get Cabelas Prestige for $24. So any complaining about high prices for fly lines is just that...complaining. Why not just complain about fly rods that cost $800, even though there are plenty of great rods available for a quarter of that price. Really? #nosympathy

Rip Tide

Reaction score
BTW, nobody is forcing anybody to pay top dollar for fly lines. You can get an Orvis Clearwater line for $39. You can get Cabelas Prestige for $24. So any complaining about high prices for fly lines is just that...complaining. Why not just complain about fly rods that cost $800, even though there are plenty of great rods available for a quarter of that price. Really? #nosympathy
How about Able nippers ?
Those are wildly overpriced and everybody knows it.

I was looking at a circular for a local hardware store just this morning.
Among other things, they're having their annual close out on fishing supplies.
I used to pick up some close-out fly gear there at this time, but they don't carry any of it any more

Do you know why that is..?..

It's because fly fishing gear has become so over priced that it's no longer feasible to sell it as a local commodity.
It's becomes such an expensive speciality item that your basic local can't afford to keep any in stock

Do you mind if I complain about that ? Cuz it bugs the **** out of me.

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
If we are willing to pay it...they will charge that for it.Simple as that.We have set these prices and they will continue to rise as more people fly fish.I am glad some of you can afford the highest priced gear.That's great.I live on a tiny VA check so i have no choice but buy the cheapest i can find if i am going to fly fish.The cheap stuff works just fine and i am ok with it.Heck some of my line came from china off ebay for $20.00 and it casts where i need it to.It don't have to be an expensive sport to enjoy it.