Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 09-25-2017, 01:53 AM

emann will become famous soon enough
Default first time in the tropics

Heading to belize over winter break and had some questions on line (primarily targeting bonefish, juvenile tarpon, snook, and cuda from what i understand). I have a 7,8, and could borrow a 10 wt. My biggest question is how important is it to have line specific for warm water/ tropics? I have floating shark wave gpx lines for my 7 and 8 wt which I absolutely love but they're not rated for tropical use.
My next question (might post this on the page for Caribbean fishing too) -What would those of you recommend in terms of floating/sinking lines? Again, trying to avoid needing to by multiple new lines for tropical, saltwater use.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:21 AM

dynaflow has a spectacular aura aboutdynaflow has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: first time in the tropics

I believe it's essential to have the right lines in the tropics,as the wrong lines will often turn to spaghetti in the heat...particularly off the deck of a skiff.If you're targeting Bonefish,buy a line like Rio's Bonefish in the same weight designation as your rod (i.e.7wt.line for a 7wt.rod).Tarpon will require a different line again,and one with a stronger core than the (around) 30lb.offered by a standard line.There's no such thing as a line for all seasons,and your choice of lines will make or break your dream fishing holiday
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes dmwphoto, mcnerney, fq13 liked this post
Old 09-25-2017, 03:53 PM

just4grins is on a distinguished road

Take a hard look at the Bermuda lines from Royal Wulff Products. They've been refining them for about 30 years.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:52 PM

sweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond reputesweetandsalt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by emann View Post
My biggest question is how important is it to have line specific for warm water/ tropics? I have floating shark wave gpx lines for my 7 and 8 wt which I absolutely love but they're not rated for tropical use.
For those of us who fish the tropical flats regularly and seriously, lines optimized for presenting bonefish/permit and tarpon flies in both taper and heat resistant formulations are very important. May I refer you to Saltwater Articles/Tropical Lines and Leaders above in our Forum.

However, if you are off on a Spring Break jaunt and would like to get in some fishing too and you are on a student's budget, I can well imagine you hope to save some bucks...for beers. I suggest you call SA Customer Service and tell them which lines you have and ask how well they will withstand Belizean conditions. They may be acceptable. Fishing them there you will undoubtedly learn something and perhaps apply it to a more dedicated flats adventure in the future with more tailored equipment. Important thing is go have fun and learn.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:19 PM

pnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to all

An 8w floating line will work on 7 or 8w rod. Sink tips added viia loop connections. Give quickest change over. Carring various lenghts lets you decide on depth fished.
A general saltwater (tropic) line is probably your best bet. While specialty lines have characteristics suited for a given fish. Change fish and line might be no good. One that works for all is a common sense approach.

......... pc
Old 09-25-2017, 06:31 PM

denver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to beholddenver1911 is a splendid one to behold

I cannot advise on your first question. I only have tropical lines in those weights.

As for floating vs. sinking, I cannot speak for all of Belize, but in three trips to Ambergris Caye, I haven't seen anything that would warrant anything other than a floating line.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:22 AM

toothybugs will become famous soon enough

I have a SA Mastery Bonefish in WF7 that is sitting idle. Pitch me an IM with your address and I'll send it to you. Just send it back to me when you're back home.

I was supposed to be heading to Abaco this spring but it's kinda not happening (grrr) so vicarious living through my fly line seems to be the order of the day.
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks dynaflow, sawinredneck thanked for this post
Likes sweetandsalt, fq13, just4grins liked this post
Old 09-27-2017, 10:28 AM

emann will become famous soon enough

thanks for everyones response!