Streamer Fly Lines

jmir_o

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I want to buy a fly line to get into the streamer world. I've been doing some "research" but I still being a little bit lost in the gear selection. I have Hecho Base 9' #7 rod and I want to buy a fly line now. My main target is trout fishing from the bank (or wading) with medium-sized and large streamers, in mid-size rivers. As I said I've been searching on the internet and now I'm debating on this fly options:

Airflo Streamer Max Long ( Streamer Max Long | Airflo USA )
Airflo Streamer Max Short ( Streamer Max Short | Airflo USA )
Rio InTouch Streamer tip 6 ips ( https://www.rioproducts.com/products/sinking/intouch-streamertip )

Which one of them do you guys think that suits my fishing?
Have any other line suggestions?

Tanks

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
If it's for wading, get a floating running line...

My favorite is the SA Sonar Sink 25...

zjory

Reaction score
RIO SinkTip. If you’re wading, get the 150 or 200 grain. I have been amazed how much getting down has put me on bigger fish and the 150 or 200 doesn’t get down so fast that it’s difficult to fish while wading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Medium to large flies, really doesn't fill in my blanks.
So unless you really need that Kurplunk taper to cast wet kittens, I'll see your "Rio InTouch Streamer tip 6 ips ( https://www.rioproducts.com/products...ch-streamertip )" and raise you a Versitip II.

https://www.rioproducts.com/products/sinking/intouch-versitip-ii

Not all streamer fishing takes place in deep swift water. It's better to be able to cover a variety of depths and current speeds and without having to have your fly shift into warp twelve just to keep from plowing up a mud trail in slower shallower flows or to stay up top where the YOTY are schooling. Sometimes a slow rolling retrieve wins over speed and pops.
Yes it's pricey. Yes there will be the clicking from the F/S connection. Thats the price we pay for convienence & versatility. Or you could do what we did back in the day, just build a loop to loop system multi-density set up to cover the bases.

Dave

dreihl9896

Reaction score
Medium to large flies, really doesn't fill in my blanks.
So unless you really need that Kurplunk taper to cast wet kittens, I'll see your "Rio InTouch Streamer tip 6 ips ( https://www.rioproducts.com/products...ch-streamertip )" and raise you a Versitip II.

https://www.rioproducts.com/products/sinking/intouch-versitip-ii

Not all streamer fishing takes place in deep swift water. It's better to be able to cover a variety of depths and current speeds and without having to have your fly shift into warp twelve just to keep from plowing up a mud trail in slower shallower flows or to stay up top where the YOTY are schooling. Sometimes a slow rolling retrieve wins over speed and pops.
Yes it's pricey. Yes there will be the clicking from the F/S connection. Thats the price we pay for convienence & versatility. Or you could do what we did back in the day, just build a loop to loop system multi-density set up to cover the bases.

Dave
I'm thinking of adding a streamer setup over the winter. I'm looking at going with a #6 or #7 that I can swing or strip streamers with, but also that might double as a mouse/hex rod. My concern with the Versitip is, how good is it as a floating line for big flies? Will I be able to mouse with it, or should I maybe look at getting a spool of Big Nasty and maybe a StreamerTip?

J

james w 3 3

Airflo Streamer Max Short is exactly what you're looking for.
Very much designed specifically for streamer fishing.
IMHO Airflo also now has the very best technology in fly lines.

mnigro

Reaction score
I would have 2 lines, floater and sink tip. Versatility is key.

Throwing a 300 grain from the bank can be tough...you’ll most likely need to experiment a bit to find what’s right for you. I use a Sonar type V with a 12’ head. Not awesome with the biggest articulated stuff but it’s a good line. I also throw an Airflo Depthfinder in 200g.

How big and deep is your water?

clouserguyky

Reaction score
For me, I save the 7 weight for the boat when trout fishing, although the 7 is the ideal smallmouth bass wading rod.. On foot, I like to streamer fish for trout with a 6 weight because I can switch to nymphs or dries and fish one rod all day. This is ideal cause I hike a ways when I fish. I fish a floating line with weighted flies and do fine, but switch to a sink tip or polyleader when needed.

But since you've already got the seven, I would bring a floating line, some poly leaders, and a sink tip around 200. Check out SA triple density lines too.

cwb124

Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me the difference/benefit to using a specific streamer line such as the Airflo streamer max short and what I typically use for streamer fishing, which is a floating line with a 10' fast sinking polyleader with a short section of 1x-3x tippet material. Will I experience much difference on a trip where I will be primarily streamer fishing rather than swapping between streamer and dry fly?