Hardy Fly lines ?

eastfly66

Reaction score
I was doing a little house cleaning and came across a catalog from last years shows and never looked at, it appears Hardy has a whole series of heads (2 hander) and fresh and saltwater both cold and tropic that I didn't know about or seen mentioned anywhere. The one below is a long head intermediate but there are others:

Fly Fishing Rods, Fly Reels, Fly Fishing | Hardy Fishing(R)

Anyone know anything about these lines or heads ?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Not that particular taper & density Paul but I have a couple of the Mach series mid Spey lines. They were I believe modeled after the Carron Jetstream lines, they are good lines so I'd suspect the one you have pictured would be fine. My problem with both Hardy & Carron lines was that they rated them numerically as 7-8-9 etc. and it took a series of e-mail exchanges to track down exact grain weights for any specific line. As you know some of the rods we use have a very narrow sweet spot regardless of the advertised grain window. It is that desire to know exactly what I was getting in grain weight that turned me to Steve G's custom lines. I've never ask about Camo tips or intermediate density lines but would guess he may be able to provide some features beyond the floaters I use.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Thanks Ard, I imagine they will be touting them at the shows and I just remembered one of their reps is local to me and a 2 hand guy to boot. Better yet, I didn't even think of Steve for the SH line and I imagine it shouldn't make much difference to him.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Not that particular taper & density Paul but I have a couple of the Mach series mid Spey lines. They were I believe modeled after the Carron Jetstream lines, they are good lines so I'd suspect the one you have pictured would be fine. My problem with both Hardy & Carron lines was that they rated them numerically as 7-8-9 etc. and it took a series of e-mail exchanges to track down exact grain weights for any specific line. As you know some of the rods we use have a very narrow sweet spot regardless of the advertised grain window. It is that desire to know exactly what I was getting in grain weight that turned me to Steve G's custom lines. I've never ask about Camo tips or intermediate density lines but would guess he may be able to provide some features beyond the floaters I use.
EXACTLY with two hander lines; I gather he can/will make single hander's but never asked.

What makes Steve's spey lines exceptional is there are few rods out there he doesn't know the exact spec's so, with a bit of conversation on how/where/what you'll be fishing the line you get is a 'one off' designed/built for that specific purpose. Cost? Not a penny more than something 'off the shelf.'

A camo line ... HUmm ... probably not?; anything else and he's good to go. As for 'Camo LInes' I fail to see the point.

fae