SA - Mastery Expert Distance ....what is the next closest line in taper

play fair

Reaction score
I looking for a 4wt. line and without me getting out the calipers and a measuring tape. Who makes and what model is the closest taper to the Expert Distance?

If memory serves me right, SA use to make the MED down to 3wt. I currently have a 4wt. and it needs replacing, so what would be the next best option?

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I looking for a 4wt. line and without me getting out the calipers and a measuring tape. Who makes and what model is the closest taper to the Expert Distance?

If memory serves me right, SA use to make the MED down to 3wt. I currently have a 4wt. and it needs replacing, so what would be the next best option?
Expert Distance had a long belly. Looks like the longest belly 4 weight they currently make is the Amplitude Anadro, but it's pricey. Royal Wulff also makes a long belly 4 weight line.

Hirdy

Reaction score
Personally, I'd recommend going to a DT line. If you're used to using a long belly line like the MED, a DT line is a very close match and a little more versatile. The only problem will be finding one long enough in a 4wt. Most are only 80' long and thus a little limiting if you're used to casting further with the MED.

Much cheaper too! :)

Cheers,
Graeme

ixoye

Reaction score
Barrio GT125 is a very good longbelly line with extended rear taper.
Sorry saw now that they stop selling the #4 line.

e caster

Reaction score

Closest in taper: Sci-Angler's 'Trout Taper' - it IS the same taper, same nose, steps and rear proportion, just a shorter overall head which is still quite long. Until you get 50 plus feet out you'll never notice a difference. IMO

Last edited:

dillon

Reaction score
I don't know if I've linked it properly, but sweetandsalt and Dillon have been praising the Cortland Omni-Verse, which I will be trying on my 4 wt sooner than later.

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/445057-cortland-omni-verse-newest-presentation-line.html?highlight=cortland+omni+verse
Amen brother, we have been using the 4 and 5wt wf omni verse the last season or two. We've been big fans of the SA EDT for many years and the new cortland line is very close. It may be a bit more supple in hand is the only difference i can tell. We both have a 4wt edt left but it's nice to be able to replace them with the omni verse. I'm surprised my buddy hasn't chimed in yet. The Rio gold, EDT and Omni verse are our go to dry fly lines. I have two reels for my 9ft 5wt One. One with the Rio Gold the other with the Omni verse. For my 8' 6" One 4wt I also have two reels with the EDT and Omni verse. I believe S&S likes the Gold on the same 4wt One. i Just interchange the lines with those rods for experimentation. I've been field testing the cortland lines for a sales rep friend.

pnc

Reaction score
Figured might throw in another question on Expert Distance lines. If line weights by standard are the first thirty feet. How much weight in relation is the rest of ...... head ? I have a seven weight line. The first thirty feet of line doesn't or just reachs belly. Tip to end of rear taper is 75'. Have wondered what whole head section amounts to.

....... pc

npike

Reaction score
Amen brother, we have been using the 4 and 5wt wf omni verse the last season or two. We've been big fans of the SA EDT for many years and the new cortland line is very close. It may be a bit more supple in hand is the only difference i can tell. We both have a 4wt edt left but it's nice to be able to replace them with the omni verse. I'm surprised my buddy hasn't chimed in yet. The Rio gold, EDT and Omni verse are our go to dry fly lines. I have two reels for my 9ft 5wt One. One with the Rio Gold the other with the Omni verse. For my 8' 6" One 4wt I also have two reels with the EDT and Omni verse. I believe S&S likes the Gold on the same 4wt One. i Just interchange the lines with those rods for experimentation. I've been field testing the cortland lines for a sales rep friend.
I fished IT Gold until it started to deteriorate after around 6 months or 70 or so fishing days last year on 490 One. Ultimate Trout since then, which I much prefer.

D

dryfly70

I fished IT Gold until it started to deteriorate after around 6 months or 70 or so fishing days last year on 490 One. Ultimate Trout since then, which I much prefer.
I believe that the S/A Trout Stalker has a longer taper than almost anything out there, I just love this line but a little hard to find.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
It IS mysterious why SA eliminated a #4 from its seminal M EDT offerings! But yes, M Trout and its various textured siblings, Amplitude Trout etc., are fundamentally similar in concept if not head length. And Cortland's Omni-Verse is also the same concept and excellent. Airflo has a related Bandit but it competes more with IT Gold both being slightly overweight with limited stretch cores.

The crucial element in this group of "presentation" lines is their elongated rear taper which smooths and stabilizes long loops and reduces hinging resulting from more abrupt transitions from thick head to thinner running line.

Shall we start a phone and e-mail campaign to encourage SA to re-introduce M EDT in #4?