SA: Please Re-Introduce Mastery Expert Distance in 4-Weight! A Petition

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
The undersigned fly line critical members of the North American Fly Fishing Forum respectful request that Scientific Anglers re-introduce their seminal and ultimate "presentation taper", smooth surfaced, Mastery Expert Distance Taper in the important 4-weight size. Thank you for considering our request.

Once we have responded to this thread, I will copy/paste it as an e-mail to SA including your responses and the number of views/responses to this petition. Thank you, S&S

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I too would like Scientific Anglers to reintroduce Mastery Expert Distance in WF-4-F. I currently use the 5wt version on one of my 5wt fly rods. I really like its presentation, loop stabilization, long distance capability and mending qualities. This would be a great line to complement my 4wt used in technical presentations. A more neutral color choice would be a bonus.

el jefe

Reaction score
As fly fishers employ lighter and lighter rods for the same quarry, reintroducing the SA MEDT in WF4F would make a lot of sense. A lot of us use that line on our 5- and 6-weights, and would appreciate the option in a 4-weight. Please bring the EDT in that configuration.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I never understood why SA would drop the 4 weight of all sizes in a presentation/dry fly line. The 4 weight with modern fast rods have become even more of a universal dry fly rod for all but the biggest rivers.

I agree that this is an oversight that can easily be remedied and should be.

Don

mka

Reaction score
I fish 4wt rods more than any size rod I own...would love it if SA put this line on the marketplace.

play fair

Reaction score
Count me in, too.

I was in here last week asking the question...what would be the next closest line to MEDT. Several responses were of another manufacturer....so, SA could be losing some business; and you know what happens when someone changes brands. They may not come back. I'd buy 4, two to use and 2 to hold on to. Every time I find something I really like, seems like they quit making it.

smokepoles

Reaction score
Next closest line - Mastery Trout? To my untrained eye the taper profile looks very, very close , id]f not the same, to the MED. Please enlighten me of the difference? Doubt if poor caster me could notice.

mike_r

Reaction score
Next closest line - Mastery Trout? To my untrained eye the taper profile looks very, very close , id]f not the same, to the MED. Please enlighten me of the difference? Doubt if poor caster me could notice.
I have observed the same similarities of taper in the two lines but, I believe the Expert Distance line employs a slightly stiffer coating which would allow for better shooting capability. I may be wrong about this with the current line coating formulations. I seem to remember SA mentioning having a stiffer coating on the old XXD boxes than their similar trout line offerings of the same time frame. (Mastery lines)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

labradorguy

Reaction score
Great line. I am in need of two spools and probably a couple more to stash away.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Absolutely, please bring this line back. This is a line where nothing was wrong with it, and I am a 4wt fanatic.
This line is super for great presentations and where I live the 4wt rod is preferred for dry fly fishing.

Please reintroduce this line.