406 fly lines?

smokepoles

Reaction score
Didn't turn up anything on these lines in this forum. Any thoughts or experience?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't have any direct experience with this line, but I thought I saw a thread on the 406 lines awhile back here on the forum, but couldn't find it. I did find a review by John Juracek, here it is:
406 Fly Line Review

pnc

Reaction score
Never heard of this line. Link provided not working for me. Can someone provide know info on this (without link) ? Might that be, Teds son, doing video.

....... pc

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
PC

Not sure why the link doesn't work, I just clicked on it and it works fine.
Here is the 406 Fly Line web site. If this link doesn't work for you, then do a Google search for "406 Fly Lines".
406 Fly Lines

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Great lines for bamboo or fiberglass. It's a small company, family owned I believe, but it's actually SA who makes the line for them. A real good line at a great price. The lines are designed with vintage tapers, but with todays materials. They are made with a smaller diameter, and are true to weight.
These lines are meant for accuracy and a smooth presentation. These lines do not like to be horsed, so don't double haul them. And the real good thing about them is they float really nice.

rcrfc

Reaction score
Great lines for bamboo or fiberglass. It's a small company, family owned I believe, but it's actually SA who makes the line for them. A real good line at a great price. The lines are designed with vintage tapers, but with todays materials. They are made with a smaller diameter, and are true to weight.
These lines are meant for accuracy and a smooth presentation. These lines do not like to be horsed, so don't double haul them. And the real good thing about them is they float really nice.
...this.
My Barclay 70p fiberglass got better with a 406. They are the real deal for bamboo and fiberglass, even moderate or slower graphite.
If you’d put a 444 peach on it, try a 406 instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotty macfly

Reaction score
...this.
My Barclay 70p fiberglass got better with a 406. They are the real deal for bamboo and fiberglass, even moderate or slower graphite.
If you’d put a 444 peach on it, try a 406 instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do believe Mr. Barclay only uses 406 lines, and has become a dealer of them because he believes in these lines very much. He recommends these lines on all his rods.

guidegun

Reaction score
I just ordered a DT3F for an Ijuin Yomogi 7' 3 weight this weekend. Looking forward to spooling it up and giving it a go.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Never heard of them but I did just follow the link Larry provided and read the product description. It certainly is up front and honest with a healthy serving of common sense. Wouldn't it be nice if the rest of the industry did the same.

smokepoles

Reaction score
I know that SA makes custom lines for 406, Swift Epic and Orvis. How do these all sort out compare to each other and to the base SA lines? For example, are the 406 and Epic lines same/similar to the Orvis Access, and all to the SA Frequency?

Gimmeslack

Reaction score
'Don't like to be horsed'. Can someone elaborate? Are they more delicate or will dbl hauling damage them?

I find that when fishing 3wt in finelines, I have to haul a little just because I need all the oomph I can get with minimal casting space/setup.

jayr

Reaction score
'Don't like to be horsed'. Can someone elaborate? Are they more delicate or will dbl hauling damage them?

I find that when fishing 3wt in finelines, I have to haul a little just because I need all the oomph I can get with minimal casting space/setup.
What I know, heard from others and read is that 406 fly lines are for more moderate action rods. If you have a fast action rod they tell you up front their lines are not for you. As for damage, I seriously doubt you could damage them but as per performance I would say you would be disappointed with it. I have heard very good things about these lines but for moderate rods only.

But all of that being said, I would contact them directly and ask.

Contact Us | 406 Fly Lines

Last edited:

Gimmeslack

Reaction score
What I know, heard from others and read is that 406 fly lines are for more moderate action rods. If you have a fast action rod they tell you up front their lines are not for you. As for damage, I seriously doubt you could damage them but as per performance I would say you would be disappointed with it. I have heard very good things about these lines but for moderate rods only.

But all of that being said, I would contact them directly and ask.

Contact Us | 406 Fly Lines
Got it. My interest is for bamboo rod and graphite moderate 3wt dry fly'ing. I was just curious about the comment. Even with relatively delicate rods, I find myself hauling when I have less than optimal 'pick up' and need to get the line powered-up in a hurry (and shoot it through hole in overhead cover). I'm not the most skillful fly caster :p

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Got it. My interest is for bamboo rod and graphite moderate 3wt dry fly'ing. I was just curious about the comment. Even with relatively delicate rods, I find myself hauling when I have less than optimal 'pick up' and need to get the line powered-up in a hurry (and shoot it through hole in overhead cover). I'm not the most skillful fly caster :p
Perfect! Yes, these lines are for bamboo, glass and or moderate graphite rods, and moderate graphite is as fast a rod that personally I would use them for, but for moderate graphite's, I prefer SA Trout or Airflo Elite, JMO.

When I meant double hauling, I meant really going for it. . . hard. What you are describing should not be a problem at all, in fact I may put half a haul in, just on my back cast, and that works very well to get that little bit of extra oomph to it.

jayr

Reaction score
The guys over on the bamboo forums rave about 406. I have not tried it, but might in the future as most of my rods are moderate and I do have a bamboo rod.

I do use Cortland 444 Peach DT on my bamboo and it does very well. I would not hesitate to recommend it as well.

thomasw

Floating Fly Aficionado
Reaction score
I use the 406 3DT and 4DT lines on not only bamboo but also on a winston air 863 and 804 TMF and pure 904 models of graphite. Great precision and soft presentations. Highly recommend the lines if that is your aim. Also the lines are very reasonably priced...

melvynsegal

Reaction score
I love these lines. Smooth casting and beautifully balanced. Great all round lines. I use them even on my faster graphites but over line by 1. My 406 7 weight is perfect for my Method 6 and CTS 6. Of interest, they seem thinner than my Rio Gold and Mastery 6 lines, and are soooo smooth... Mel

thomasw

Floating Fly Aficionado
Reaction score
I love these lines. Smooth casting and beautifully balanced. Great all round lines. I use them even on my faster graphites but over line by 1. My 406 7 weight is perfect for my Method 6 and CTS 6. Of interest, they seem thinner than my Rio Gold and Mastery 6 lines, and are soooo smooth... Mel

Hey there, Mel:

Are you using their DT or WF lines on those 6 and 7 wt rods? I am seriously thinking of getting a 406 or TT line for my just-ordered Stickman T6.

melvynsegal

Reaction score
I prefer the 406 to TT for freshwater, and use the heavier head Wulff TT in the salt. My 406 DT goes perfectly with my 4 weight and softer 5 weight, and the WF 7 with the 6 weights mentioned above... Mel