Line for Stillwater Smallies and Largemouth

GrownManRunnin

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post in this forum. Looks like a well established community with a lot of knowledge so thanks in advance for any insight given.

So generally I fish with a spinning rod, usually throwing soft plastics. I have been fly fishing for 7 or 8 years now, mostly for stocked trout in central Maryland but occasionally I will target bass. I recently gained access to a local reservoir that seems to be chalked full of carp as well as plenty of small mouth, large mouth and even striped bass. The reservoir is generally deep and clear and I have been catching mostly large mouth on wacky rigged senko worms in about 15 to 20 feet of water but I have also been able to pull a few smallies with plastic crayfish to depths of about 30 feet. I am fishing from a boat.

This year I have decided to break the fly rod out and try to focus on catching with that as much as possible. I have an 8' (5) weight rigged with floating line that just replaced a 7'6" (4) weight that I recently broke. I use this rod on smaller streams up to medium sized rivers for trout and small smallmouth. For the reservoir, I have a 9' St Croix Avid (7) weight that I have rigged with a bass taper floating line. This line should be fine for carp fishing and some bass fishing scenarios but I want to add a sinking line for some of the deeper water situations.

So...

I have found a pattern for a wacky rigged senko fly called "Dills Pickle"( not to be confused with the Dill pickle fly) I have tied a hand full of these flies and it really looks good but it is buoyant. I am using Patons Bohemian yarn which was recommended for other senko fly patterns and I have added some weight to the fly and still buoyant. This fly will be allowed to fall on a slack line for the first 15 feet or so and then slowly stripped back to the boat. I would also like to try different streamers as well as crayfish patterns.

My question is...

Which sinking line would you recommend. I have looked into the Airflo Streamer Max Long, the Airflo Sixth Sense, Orvis Depth Charge, SA Titan, and even Rio Lines. I am wondering how the sink rate of the line will change with the fly being buoyant. I realize that there may not be a single magic bullet solution for me but I want to get as close as possible. I can see splitting time evenly between the senko fly,streamers and crayfish.

Overall if I had to choose for myself with no experience with sinking lines, just from what I have read, I like the 2 airflo products the best. I just wonder if the faster sinking head of the streamer max is too much but i like that it fades into an intermediate or if I go with 6 sense should I be at a 3 to 5 sink rate?

Thanks in advance...

clouserguyky

Reaction score
My choice for my 7 weight is a Rio Outbound Short WF6S3/I. Yes it's labeled as a 6 weight but it's a 235 grain full sinking line and fishes great on my 6-8 weight rods, especially the 7 weight. I like the intermediate running line because it allows for some mending on moving waters.

Out of the ones you listed, you can't really go wrong, but I'd go with SA Titan. The streamer.max may sink too fast for still water, but it just depends on your needs. I like the 3ips lines for my waters.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
I’ll throw out there that instead of a full sink line (or a brand new line in any capacity) you could make a sinking tip for the line that you have. I got the cortland kit and made some tips for my stillwater fishing. 2,4, and 6’ sections allow me to adjust the rate of fall if I pair the 6’ section with a sinking leader I can get streamers down in most currents.