What's the best Rio line for swinging streamers (for a 5wt rod)?

dcfoster

Reaction score
I currently have the Rio Trout LT which I use for dry flies/emergers/nymphs but I was looking for a line for casting big (relative to a 5wt rod) streamers (cone headed muddlers, Zoo Cougars etc.). I'll mostly be fishing small rivers running off of the Great Lakes Tributaries so they're big rivers nor very deep (Max 5-6ft).

However I just can't seem to find a perfect fit. Some have recommended the Rio Grand and others the Rio Outbound short but there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been using standard weight forward line on my 7'9" five weight far & Fine for thirty years and have no problems with flies like you describe.

fishguy613

Reaction score
Question will this setup be solely for streamers or do you want some versatility out of it? I. E. Being able to throw a streamer, nymph rig or potentially even dry flies on the same line. I would recommend using a versatile line like Rio gold that will cast streamers but also anything else. If you only want to cast streamers first I would say get a heavier rod unless your only looking to cast small streamers and wet flies. I don't fish streamers over 3 inches on my 5 weight personally, it's just not pleasurable. However if you wanted to solely use streamers on it and the rod can handle it try Rio streamertip line. Choose between floating, intermediate tip or 6ips sink tip, great line.

dillon

Reaction score
I hear guys raving about the Rio in touch single hand Spey line for swinging flies on small streams. You'd have fun learning how to make Spey casts with a single handler.

dcfoster

Reaction score
Question will this setup be solely for streamers or do you want some versatility out of it? I. E. Being able to throw a streamer, nymph rig or potentially even dry flies on the same line. I would recommend using a versatile line like Rio gold that will cast streamers but also anything else. If you only want to cast streamers first I would say get a heavier rod unless your only looking to cast small streamers and wet flies. I don't fish streamers over 3 inches on my 5 weight personally, it's just not pleasurable. However if you wanted to solely use streamers on it and the rod can handle it try Rio streamertip line. Choose between floating, intermediate tip or 6ips sink tip, great line.

The line I have is described as having a long front taper so people have told me it’ll be great for delicate presentations but not so great at casting big streamers (and by big I mean relative to a 5wt so all are under three inches). So yes, I want a line for just swinging streamers. I’ve heard it should have a short head and more weight towards the front?! I’m just not sure if it should be floating or have an intermediate sinking tip.

I have looked at the Rio streamertip line so thanks for the recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcfoster

Reaction score
I hear guys raving about the Rio in touch single hand Spey line for swinging flies on small streams. You'd have fun learning how to make Spey casts with a single handler.
That’s funny you said that. The line I’ve been looking at the most is the single handed Spey 3D. My only question is how good would it be at turning over big streamers? I’ve heard it was designed with wet flies and soft Hackles in mind.

bocast

Reaction score
That’s funny you said that. The line I’ve been looking at the most is the single handed Spey 3D. My only question is how good would it be at turning over big streamers? I’ve heard it was designed with wet flies and soft Hackles in mind.

I use the Rio Single handed Spey 3D in 5 wt and it works great for streamers, presenting them at ideal depths swinging or stripping on spate rivers like the tribs in Northeast Ohio for smallmouth, in the few trout fisheries in Ohio and also in central PA waters like Penn's Creek and Spring creek. I also use a 7wt for my two handed 11 foot 4 wt trout Spey rod and it is money in the bank, or money just off the bank... Streamers, small intruders, casts of two or three wets all rock on this line. 5 foot leaders to swing or strip, longer leaders for casts of 2 or 3 wets based on depth of water. I'm buying spares in case Rio ever drops it from the lineup. Will add other line weights based on great results so far. One caveat, I don't fish the huge articulated mega streamers so I can't speak for those. I'm just a mediocre caster but the single handed Spey 3D gives me great presentations. The SHS 3D and also the regular single handed Spey are both fun but the 3D is deadly, just deadly. Alternate between weighted and unweighted flies based on water flow/depth.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

bocast

Reaction score
I use the Rio Single handed Spey 3D in 5 wt and it works great for streamers, presenting them at ideal depths swinging or stripping on spate rivers like the tribs in Northeast Ohio for smallmouth, in the few trout fisheries in Ohio and also in central PA waters like Penn's Creek and Spring creek. I also use a 7wt for my two handed 11 foot 4 wt trout Spey rod and it is money in the bank, or money just off the bank... Streamers, small intruders, casts of two or three wets all rock on this line. 5 foot leaders to swing or strip, longer leaders for casts of 2 or 3 wets based on depth of water. I'm buying spares in case Rio ever drops it from the lineup. Will add other line weights based on great results so far. One caveat, I don't fish the huge articulated mega streamers so I can't speak for those. I'm just a mediocre caster but the single handed Spey 3D gives me great presentations. The SHS 3D and also the regular single handed Spey are both fun but the 3D is deadly, just deadly. Alternate between weighted and unweighted flies based on water flow/depth.

I will add this to my comment, the best 3 line arsenal for a five weight for me is a Rio LT or Single handed Spey for dries and light wet fly work, a Rio Single handed Spey 3D for most subsurface work, and then down the rabbit hole to the world of short Skagit type heads for casting "impossibly large" flies on a 5 wt, use the OPST 200 grain commando head with a 5 foot commando tip and the 35 Lazar line.

YouTube
Or if link doesn't work search OPST commando 5 wt. Insane capability for a five weight, but not the ticket for delicacy!

dcfoster

Reaction score
I will add this to my comment, the best 3 line arsenal for a five weight for me is a Rio LT or Single handed Spey for dries and light wet fly work, a Rio Single handed Spey 3D for most subsurface work, and then down the rabbit hole to the world of short Skagit type heads for casting "impossibly large" flies on a 5 wt, use the OPST 200 grain commando head with a 5 foot commando tip and the 35 Lazar line.

YouTube
Or if link doesn't work search OPST commando 5 wt. Insane capability for a five weight, but not the ticket for delicacy!

I’ve talk to the guys at OPST about that same set up! Good to know... and that video- wow! I fish where’s there’s not a lot of room to back cast and the roll casts just don’t go far enough... so this might be the answer. Do find there’s any problem with the loop to loop connections passing through the guides?

bocast

Reaction score
I’ve talk to the guys at OPST about that same set up! Good to know... and that video- wow! I fish where’s there’s not a lot of room to back cast and the roll casts just don’t go far enough... so this might be the answer. Do find there’s any problem with the loop to loop connections passing through the guides?

With the short heads, I fish up close first so I don't step on a personal best fish, then work my way out. There will always be a tick when a loop to loop passes, but the beauty of the short, commando heads and the five foot tip is the fact that they stay out of your guides for the whole water load and cast for most of your casts. The downside is stripping in the Lazar line. It takes some getting used to because it is so thin. Some folks never get used to handling such thin running line. The flies you can toss with this rig on a 5 wt will amaze you.

flav

Reaction score
I was unaware of the SHS 3D, that looks interesting, although it's tip is only an intermediate which doesn't give you much depth on the swing. I've been fishing the floating SHS for over a year and love it. I think it's the best all around trout line out there, both for overhead casting and especially for water anchored casts. It's not stellar in strong winds, but for dries, nymphs, and for swinging soft hackles and moderate sized streamers it's great.

If you're interested in the short OPST skagits, Rio has its own version, the Skagit Trout Max. The 11 foot, 200 grain head would be great on a SH 5 weight. I think these short skagits are where it's at for swinging or stripping big streamers. With a 5 weight and a 200 grain head I can cast bigger, heavier flies than most guys can on a SH 7 or 8 weight, with less effort and in much tighter quarters.

bocast

Reaction score
... I've been fishing the floating SHS for over a year and love it. I think it's the best all around trout line out there, both for overhead casting and especially for water anchored casts. It's not stellar in strong winds, but for dries, nymphs, and for swinging soft hackles and moderate sized streamers it's great.

If you're interested in the short OPST skagits, Rio has its own version, the Skagit Trout Max. The 11 foot, 200 grain head would be great on a SH 5 weight. I think these short skagits are where it's at for swinging or stripping big streamers. With a 5 weight and a 200 grain head I can cast bigger, heavier flies than most guys can on a SH 7 or 8 weight, with less effort and in much tighter quarters.
My floating SHS is my primary line too! Thanks for the info on the Rio Skagit Trout Max... Bigger flies, less effort, tighter quarters...... agree 100%

dcfoster

Reaction score
I haven't looked into this but it looks interesting. So I would need to buy a running line, the Skagit Trout Max head and then the MOW tips (floating/intermediate/sink)?

huronfly

Reaction score
I haven't looked into this but it looks interesting. So I would need to buy a running line, the Skagit Trout Max head and then the MOW tips (floating/intermediate/sink)?
You will need running line, Skagit head, but not necessarily Mow tips... if you were to get 200-225ish grain head, which is what I use, you may have trouble turning over those tips, even the light ones(t8). Casting is much more pleasurable with a lighter tip, or tapered tip. I like to use salmon/steelhead polyleaders(tapered) and tips up to 10' t6(level). Opst has recommendations for tips matching various grain weights on their website, I would think the Rio Skagit trout max would be similar with regards to tip selection.

I can also speak to the Rio Grand, which is quite well for throw streamers overhead casting.

The Rio outbound is more of a distance casting line, but also works well for streamers.