Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leader Kits

1. Default Re: Leader Kits

Another reason Maxima Chameleon is used: To match tanic colored waters, as in Quebec.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Leader Kits

I've slowly acquired all the Maxima Ultra Green leader spools from 25 pound test down to 3. When fishing nymphs I use the Maxima flouro tippet, for dry flies I use Orvis Super Strong. I know I've spent more then I needed to but these were purchased over a period of time, thinking I've got these already, may as well get the rest.

Tying leaders is a fun way to occupy my time during a snow or rainstorm as well as tying flies. You can always keep yourself occupied with fly fishing even though you are not on the water. Just ask my wife!

Denny

Leader lazy here. I normally work off of a Rio knotless leader and modify to suit.

Iíve owned Orvis and Umpqua kits. I preferred the Umpqua kit. Learn to tie the knots without a tool. I use a barrel knot for larger tippet material and a barrel or double surgeonís knot for 5x and finer knots (depends if I am on the water or not!).

Iím thinking of going old school for some of my nymphing. I may ditch the strike indicator and build a leader with a section of amnesia. I write this to say that even if you decide to go prebuilt or knotless, it is a good idea to know the theory behind leader construction. It might come in handy. Another example is you may want a nail knot connection verses a loop connection. You need to know how to build the leader correctly; otherwise, you end up with a splice section which may or may not not turn over the balance of the leader.

4. Likes ggriffi, e caster liked this post

Do you know those heavy duty, clear, zippered plastic bags that sometimes underwear or pillow cases and such come packed in? Usually they have an interior pocket with a cardboard that says, "100% Cotton - Made in Bangladesh", or something to that effect. These are what I pack my leader kits in. Now, I can't help myself, if I go into a shop and the guy says, "S&S, have you tried this new really cool tippet yet?", I buy a spool or two. Powerflex Plus, Cortland Top Secret, Super Strong, E.Puglisi Powerful TroutHunter EVO...in a shop in Berlin I bought $100 worth of Stroft...into the kit bag it goes. So, my leader building kit I travel with not only has any diameter and consistency I might need but also serves as an experimental resource and a back up for when I leave a spool of 5X on some grassy bank somewhere. There is likely a back up Braided Butt and maybe a Nylon Furl in there too and a hank of 30# Dacron incase I need to rig a Nail Knot and Bimini Loop for the back end of a replacement fly line. Performing leader craft re-build or modification is something Dillon and I do at our camp table a few afternoons a week. For all our engaging discussions about rods, reels and lines, it is the leader and its tippet that ultimately connects us to our fly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123