Airflo bass/muskie and other ?

eastfly66

Reaction score
I'm looking for a floater for LMB on a #8 , anyone using the new Airflo or have a line they really like for this ?
I'm in the yak if that makes any difference. I have a couple OBS that do the job but I'm not wild about them.

jr spey

Reaction score
The eight is a way better bass line than the ten is a pike/musky line. Though I'm not a big fan of Rio lines in general, the best bass line I've found is the Rio Smallmouth.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Thanks Jr. I was looking at that too even thou I'm also not a big fan on some of the Rio lines. it looks pretty close to the MPX but a little longer head.

rando

Reaction score
SA Mastery Titan Taper is amazing. Not sure what kind of water you fish, but I fish very tight quarters (wading or canoe) most of the time and for that reason I decided to try uplining my #8 mangrove with 9wt titan taper and it works spectacular.

Perfect for deer hair bass bugs, poppers, clouser, and other chunky or heavy stuff.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I use a Rio Smallmouth on my #7 Mangrove and I like it a lot, but I have heard a lot of good things about the SA Titan Long for bass.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I use a Rio Smallmouth on my #7 Mangrove and I like it a lot, but I have heard a lot of good things about the SA Titan Long for bass.
I think I would have to go with the 6 wt for my 907 , the weight over the whole head might be more than the rod will like...240 in 30' should be around 300/310 over the entire head. I have a Gold #7 I'm going to see if it can handle the deerhair poppers tomorrow AM

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I think I would have to go with the 6 wt for my 907 , the weight over the whole head might be more than the rod will like...240 in 30' should be around 300/310 over the entire head. I have a Gold #7 I'm going to see if it can handle the deerhair poppers tomorrow AM
I do the same thing with Rio OBS on my #7. There's no rules, give it a shot if you can and let us know how it performs. What rod model are you looking to find a line for?

sjkirkpa

Reaction score
Last spring I asked the nice folks at Echo Flyfishing this exact same question (they are the US distributor of Airflo lines, I think I have that right).

They said that for a floating line, their favorite for throwing bulky wind resistant flies is the Airflo Streamer Float. For sinking, the Streamer Max.

They said that the coating on the bass/muskie is best suited for warm weather. In the summer in the north they said it would be OK, but in cooler weather it won't perform as well as the Streamer lines. Interesting, they said that the Airflo Nymph line would be a close second to the Streamer lines.

I have a 6wt Streamer Float and use it for bass and also for oversized streamers for big browns and rainbows. I like it so far.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I like Wulff's bass taper for bass and as an inshore saltwater line. I currently have one in 6 wt. I had an 8 in the past but that reel was stolen. The line has worked well with every rod I have tried.
My next saltwater flats line will be an Airflo, however, I cast one last fall on a TFO mangrove in 9 wt and was impressed enough that I plan to get one in an 8 to try with several rods.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I do the same thing with Rio OBS on my #7. There's no rules, give it a shot if you can and let us know how it performs. What rod model are you looking to find a line for?
I'm in my yak so I have to rods rigged. One is my 908 Stickman and that is all set with a sink line, the other is a T&T Horizon II 907 , more of a mod fast rod. It cast the Gold good enough , I just need to see with a popper on the end and sitting in the yak. I have lots of different lines , just not in #7 to try out.

eastfly66

Reaction score
The Rio Gold seemed to work ok for the deerhair pops , not so well with clouser type flies but that's not what I need it to do. I'll try the OBS next and see, I'm trying to use what I have in stock first. I might even drop down to a 6 wt rod, the bass I have around here are not that big , not yet anyway.