SA Amplitude Smooth Infinity

makoml

Reaction score
They snuck a new line into the Amplitude series and haven't seen it mentioned yet. Its aimed directly at the RIO Gold and the Airflo Bandit crowd.......... I could see myself trying the Infinity camo tip out on my BIIIX 6wt in NW Wyoming this September. Its a skosh heavier first 30' than the Gold but not enough to notice I think. I think it might address my main complaint with the Bandit, which was wanting just a little more mass at the front taper for faster tip loading. I do wish it were slightly textured though, I like textured lines better myself.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I really want to try this line on my #6 Sage One. I saw it on the site a few weeks ago and have been really excited about getting ahold of one.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I was unaware of this new smooth series of premium lines from SA, than you. Yes, new half heavy and forward biased Infinity is interesting and seemingly puts MPX out to pasture. And a smooth Trout and Bonefish too, cool.

brownbass

Reaction score
I was unaware of this new smooth series of premium lines from SA, than you. Yes, new half heavy and forward biased Infinity is interesting and seemingly puts MPX out to pasture. And a smooth Trout and Bonefish too, cool.
S&S, Do you really think the Infinity will replace the MPX? the head on infinity is quite a bit longer than the head on the MPX. I see the Infinity line as a better trout presentation line than MPX with the MPX being a good all-rounder. I am still learning about lines so I may be way off. I do see the MPX at a discount on STP so I wouldn't be surprised that you are correct.

Bill

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Oh, I doubt SA will drop MPX, perhaps some obsolete version of it is on STP, it remains very popular.

Amplitude-Smooth-Infinity-Taper.jpg
AMP-MPX-1.jpg

Both of these line are genuinely 1/2 heavy, 150 grains in a 5-wt. both have short front tapers and aggressively forward biased weight in the front of their heads. I have always perceived GPX and improved MPX as indelicate, weighted nymph tossers with short heads and abrupt rear tapers. New Infinity would, at least on paper, share the ability to cast weight but its elongated rear taper will smooth out loops for greater all round versatility and improved presentation. Conceptually, it is very much like Cortland's Modern Trout (except in price, $59) also 150 gr. in #5.

444Classic_ModernTrout_Moss.jpg

Actually, now that I look at their taper diagrams here in this post, new Infinity and Modern Trout have extremely similar designs and proportions. I fished Modern Trout in a 5-weight a lot this season, it is particularly good in the wind with a strong rod. I'd enjoy having both these lines rigged up and trying them on the same rod; sometimes different lines of similar taper can feel quite different due to core, coating and weight distribution. The Cortland has a braided Nylon core and the SA a braided blend of Nylon and Dacron.

osseous

Reaction score
MPX "indelicate"? Seriously? I find it just the opposite- a revelation in presenting a dry fly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

myt1

Reaction score
There is a bunch of Wavelength MPX, and GPX lines for sale on Sierra Trading Post right now.

proheli

Reaction score
They snuck a new line into the Amplitude series and haven't seen it mentioned yet. Its aimed directly at the RIO Gold and the Airflo Bandit crowd.......... I could see myself trying the Infinity camo tip out on my BIIIX 6wt in NW Wyoming this September. Its a skosh heavier first 30' than the Gold but not enough to notice I think. I think it might address my main complaint with the Bandit, which was wanting just a little more mass at the front taper for faster tip loading. I do wish it were slightly textured though, I like textured lines better myself.

If you’re a Winston fan, what about the Energy Trout 6wt. It’s slightly heavy in the head. I’ve only used it once, in mild wind, but I was impressed. It’s very smooth. Dreamy.

makoml

Reaction score
If you’re a Winston fan, what about the Energy Trout 6wt. It’s slightly heavy in the head. I’ve only used it once, in mild wind, but I was impressed. It’s very smooth. Dreamy.
I've kicked the Energy line around in my head since they came out. I might try one on my BIIIX 8'6" 3wt, just haven't decided if I want the WF3 or WF4. Its purely a decision about NW Wyoming wind and not about needing to load the rod. I know the rod can handle a WF4 just fine as I used a WF4 Bandit on it one trip during high winds in a pinch.

Now as for the WF6............. I prefer a line with a long rear taper for anything past 25' casts. Just makes for a better shaped and more stable loop. I messed up and traded off my favorite WF6 line, the Original Ridge Nymph taper in Optic green. I have been searching for something that matches what that line did. I already have an optic green WF6 GPX and to me the energy looks almost the same only a touch lighter. I'll stick with the GPX until it cracks or starts sinking and maybe try the Energy then.

The Omniverse and the Smooth Infinity are front runners for next new WF6 lines I'll give a shot soon.

brownbass

Reaction score
Oh, I doubt SA will drop MPX, perhaps some obsolete version of it is on STP, it remains very popular.

View attachment 12183
View attachment 12184

Both of these line are genuinely 1/2 heavy, 150 grains in a 5-wt. both have short front tapers and aggressively forward biased weight in the front of their heads. I have always perceived GPX and improved MPX as indelicate, weighted nymph tossers with short heads and abrupt rear tapers. New Infinity would, at least on paper, share the ability to cast weight but its elongated rear taper will smooth out loops for greater all round versatility and improved presentation. Conceptually, it is very much like Cortland's Modern Trout (except in price, $59) also 150 gr. in #5.

View attachment 12185

Actually, now that I look at their taper diagrams here in this post, new Infinity and Modern Trout have extremely similar designs and proportions. I fished Modern Trout in a 5-weight a lot this season, it is particularly good in the wind with a strong rod. I'd enjoy having both these lines rigged up and trying them on the same rod; sometimes different lines of similar taper can feel quite different due to core, coating and weight distribution. The Cortland has a braided Nylon core and the SA a braided blend of Nylon and Dacron.
Thanks for the responce S&S. I was cosidering purchasing the MPX for a 6 weight I use for nymphing and smaller streaners. I think the MPX will be the line for the job.

Bill

taylorreels

Reaction score
Scientific Anglers sent us some of their new lines a while back and everyone at the office has been a fan. Here are my thoughts... The Smooth Infinity is a fantastic all-around taper. It's not overly aggressive at the front and feels like a huge improvement over the MPX. I haven't loved it as a long distance line but find it really great at all practical fishing distances. It reminds me more of an improved GPX than the MPX (which I wasn't a fan of).

On a side note the line feels extremely smooth and subtle. This might be my favorite improvement with this new "smooth" series. A subtle fly line is a great thing and this line is extremely subtle!

Also the new bonefish line is a true winner!

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
MPX "indelicate"? Seriously? I find it just the opposite- a revelation in presenting a dry fly.

The issue with GPX/MPX is its short head and abrupt rear taper which lacks support for smooth loop stability as it hinges when extending and holding longer lengths of line in the air. At least for me, it represents a poor choice for dry fly presentation. Do I have one? Yes, and now that there are superior 1/2 heavy designs for the Scott rod I have which insists on a 1/2 heavy 4.5 wt. line, I'll switch to either Cortland Modern Trout ort SA Infinity.

I have used and continue to fish some SA Textured lines, most recently an Amplitude Bonefish. I have though been wishing for SA to devise a smooth, quiet line surface that shoots and lifts with authority equal or better than the embossed lines. I intend to sample Infinity soon.

osseous

Reaction score
I was not a fan of the GPX, despite all the praise that was heaped upon it. I was hesitant to try the MPX, but have really enjoyed it (Amplitude version). I've used it on Sage X and Scott Radian. I generally prefer longer tapers, and standard weighted lines, but have never liked Sci Angler's Trout taper design on a fast action rod. I do find the MPX to be somewhat sensitive to leader design, however. It develops a lot of line speed for a given amount of input. Perhaps that's the combination of suppleness, texture and taper- I'm not sure? I have not felt like the head is heavy or crashes down, as I have with other designs.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I would not think MPX would be too heavy for either Radian or X both of which tend to like RIO Gold which is only very slightly lighter than MPX. And I would imagine that both these rods would generate good line speed too. Check your leader butt to line tip energy transfer and as long as it's smooth and free of any hinging it should work OK. SA's current Trout is a very good and long taper which is fine for fast action rods like ONE or Stickman but a bit light for Radian.

osseous

Reaction score
I may order the Amplitude Trout for an upcoming trip to New Zealand- I've heard it's a favored line among the guides there. Given how much I've liked the MPX, it's worth a go. My old Trout was a Sharkskin, I believe. Had to have a long line out to really load the Sage One with that line- not exactly what I want out of a "trout" presentation line.

proheli

Reaction score
I may order the Amplitude Trout for an upcoming trip to New Zealand- I've heard it's a favored line among the guides there. Given how much I've liked the Amp MPX, it's worth a go. My old Trout was a Sharkskin, I believe. Had to have a long line out to really load the Sage One with that line- not exactly what I want out of a "trout" presentation line.

Well, do you actually want a true weight line on a One? SA website says Amp Trout is the true weight line but it’s Amp MPX that is .5 heavy. I’ve got the Amp Trout, but it’s on a Scott GS 884, that’s bendy.

wthorpe

Reaction score
I have mostly used Rio Golds on 5 and 6 wt fast action rods including Sage One 9' 5 wt and Sage X 9' 6 wt. i recently acquired the SA Amp MPX for the SAGE X 9' 6 wt. i use the rod heavily for throwing dries and dry dropper rigs to moving fish on lakes. Distance is often an issue, i am a modest caster, and I was hoping for some extra distance iwth the new line. I had mixed results first time out. i wonder what others would expect -- either from experience or the theory of how these lines should cast. i had not focussed on the shorter shooting head on the MPX until i actually used it, and i suspect it is responsible for mixed results in casting. what do you think. [This is a little bit off topic here, and if someone thinks it should be moved please feel free.]

osseous

Reaction score
Well, do you actually want a true weight line on a One? SA website says Amp Trout is the true weight line but it’s Amp MPX that is .5 heavy. I’ve got the Amp Trout, but it’s on a Scott GS 884, that’s bendy.
I've sold off all my Ones- switched over entirely to the X. Just ordered the 9'5wt, have the 9'6" 5wt and 6wt already.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I have mostly used Rio Golds on 5 and 6 wt fast action rods including Sage One 9' 5 wt and Sage X 9' 6 wt. i recently acquired the SA Amp MPX for the SAGE X 9' 6 wt. i use the rod heavily for throwing dries and dry dropper rigs to moving fish on lakes. Distance is often an issue, i am a modest caster, and I was hoping for some extra distance iwth the new line. I had mixed results first time out. i wonder what others would expect -- either from experience or the theory of how these lines should cast. i had not focussed on the shorter shooting head on the MPX until i actually used it, and i suspect it is responsible for mixed results in casting. what do you think. [This is a little bit off topic here, and if someone thinks it should be moved please feel free.]
I would not expect a heavier line with a shorter rear taper to help much in the distance category. It should actually have the opposite effect, helping the rod load in close for good presentation and line control on a shorter cas with fast action rods. For distance I'd get a true to weight line with a long rear taper like SA Trout.

wthorpe

Reaction score
I would not expect a heavier line with a shorter rear taper to help much in the distance category. It should actually have the opposite effect, helping the rod load in close for good presentation and line control on a shorter cas with fast action rods. For distance I'd get a true to weight line with a long rear taper like SA Trout.
First thank you. Second, your conclusion makes sense and seems consistent with my experience yesterday i htink; i gotta try this more -- maybe with thwo comparable lines availalble to test one after the ohter. Third, there may be more here than i understand (not unusual now that i think of it). So, the SA Trout appears to have a "head" of about 45'; the SA website does not directly specify that distance in their diagram. But it also shows another 15' +/- of "rear taper" which must be what you are referring to? And in looking at some popular freshwater Rio lines on their website i do not really see a "rear taper" as such--is that right? Is this a major design distinction--it sure seems like it could be. I know little about fly line designs, and if i am missing the boat here someone pls say so.