SA Amplitude smooth Infinity...anybody tried it yet??

osseous

Reaction score
Just curious to hear what you guys think about it!
I'm enjoying it. Not sure it's the end all be all. The Amplitude MPX made more of an impression on me, to be honest. It does float well- but the shooting of the textured MPX is noticeably better.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jolepage

Reaction score
I'm enjoying it. Not sure it's the end all be all. The Amplitude MPX made more of an impression on me, to be honest. It does float well- but the shooting of the textured MPX is noticeably better.

And does it compare to Rio Gold?

osseous

Reaction score
I haven't had a new Rio Gold in many years. My experience with the last few Rio lines was not a positive one- the coating cracked after a very short time. Though I have a new 7wt In Touch Gold coming to pair with 7 wt Sage Igniter. We will see how that works out~

I have been using Air Flow lines for quite a few years now. My return to Sci Anglers has been like a homecoming in terms of casting performance. Something about them just works for me- and it's not the tapers. The ones I'm throwing this summer are all new designs. The MPX has been a real eye opener~

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I'm going to compare two 9'/#4's side by side next weekend. I have three reels selected to switch among the pair; one with this new smooth Amplitude Infinity, another with Cortland Modern Trout which, like Infinity is exactly a 1/2 size heavy and the last with RIO Gold which is just slightly lighter. I might also include a reel with an SA Textured TroutStalker, a true weight #4, just for a control.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I will be interested in your experiment, S&S. Sunday I bought an Infinity 4 wt to use on my 9’ Scott S3, a rod we have in common.

I have put it on a reel, but fishing time is limited right now because my wife is going through chemotherapy treatments so I am tied pretty close to home. So I may learn how my new line casts on the front lawn or from reading your report.

Hope the weather cooperates for your trials.

Don

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I will be interested in your experiment, S&S. Sunday I bought an Infinity 4 wt to use on my 9’ Scott S3, a rod we have in common.

I have put it on a reel, but fishing time is limited right now because my wife is going through chemotherapy treatments so I am tied pretty close to home. So I may learn how my new line casts on the front lawn or from reading your report.

Hope the weather cooperates for your trials.

Don
Prayers going up for your wife from KY.

Looking forward to everyone's impressions on the infinity. I want to try it on my new H3F.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
sparse, My home waters are in colored-up flood stage currently and I too will be going to a park to cast. I "suspect" 4.5 wt. S3 9'/#4 will be ideally matched with Infinity. I wish your wife a thorough recovery.

hopperjuan

Reaction score
I have just recently conducted two days of lawn casting/testing with the new SA lines on various rods. I have the new Amplitude lines in MPX, Trout and Infinity smooth. They are all nice and pleasant to cast but I have new findings on what rods like what lines. The new Infinity lines are sweet on three of my rods and I will be using them on these rods. The Hardy Zenith 905, the Hardy Artisan 905 and the G Loomis, NRX LP 905, all loved this line over the Amplitude MPX line and the Rio Gold. The Zenith felt like a different rod with that line. Smooth and silky with power. The Artisan felt, well, just sweet. And the NRX LP felt super smooth and I really liked how it cast that line. These rods cast all the other lines just fine, but there is something about the Infinity on these particular rods. The Scott G Series 8'8" 5 wt., liked the Infinity but I am keeping the Rio Gold on that rod. I am going to get a Radian and Sage X for testing sometime soon. As well as an Orvis H3., but I need to borrow these rods to do the testing.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I also did some lawn casting comparing the new Infinity in a WF4F on three rods. The rods are all older so this may not be real helpful for others. And lawn casting can only tell you so much.

On my 9 foot S3 Scott, the line did well and that is what I bought it for. Just a bit more authority than either Rio Gold, a GPX or an old Orvis DT Spring Creek line. Pretty darn close to the Rio Gold though and I could fish either one comfortably.

On my Winston IM6 8.5 foot, the old Orvis line was still the best, but the Infinity and Gold were not too heavy feeling so any of the three would work.
I expected the infinity to bog down the Winston, but it really didn’t.

Then I got goofy and pulled out my lightest 5 weight rod, a Sage LL 581. I had never tried casting any 4 weight on that rod before. I was really surprised how well it cast and shot with the Infinity more that the other lines. I had a breezy day (In Wyoming that means somewhere around 20 mph). The Infinity seemed to shoot better into the wind than the other lines especially with the 5 weight rod.

I need to pick up one of these lines in 5 weight, but my new top rod there is a Sage One and I really don’t like that rod with anything at all heavy in lines. I may just get the Amplitude Smooth in a Trout taper for that rod. I think that the finish on the Amplitude lines make more of a difference than I would have expected.

Sorry all my tests were on my antiquated rods..

Don

osseous

Reaction score
I have just recently conducted two days of lawn casting/testing with the new SA lines on various rods. I have the new Amplitude lines in MPX, Trout and Infinity smooth. They are all nice and pleasant to cast but I have new findings on what rods like what lines. The new Infinity lines are sweet on three of my rods and I will be using them on these rods. The Hardy Zenith 905, the Hardy Artisan 905 and the G Loomis, NRX LP 905, all loved this line over the Amplitude MPX line and the Rio Gold. The Zenith felt like a different rod with that line. Smooth and silky with power. The Artisan felt, well, just sweet. And the NRX LP felt super smooth and I really liked how it cast that line. These rods cast all the other lines just fine, but there is something about the Infinity on these particular rods. The Scott G Series 8'8" 5 wt., liked the Infinity but I am keeping the Rio Gold on that rod. I am going to get a Radian and Sage X for testing sometime soon. As well as an Orvis H3., but I need to borrow these rods to do the testing.
You can borrow my X- I can meet you in Deckers sometime

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
So we are all aware that most good rods will cast a variety of lines well. Still, it remains my experience that given the opportunity to try several lines on a given rod, often one will outshine the rest. There are numerous variables; the weight and mass distribution in the line as well as its taper design, the characteristics of the core material and the effective friction reduction of the coating. Where on the scale of thing the relative suppleness or stiffness of the line falls may be a factor especially where temperature is a contributor. And then there are the techniques and habitat an outfit will be called upon to perform in.

So, over the past few weeks I've been lawn testing Taylor's about to be released Truth 9'/#4, a faster end of medium fast, progressive taper that is a lightweight 2.8 oz. with an obvious dry fly intent. I tested at short, medium and long with varied power input trying SA Infinity #4.5, Cortland Modern Trout 4.5, RIO Gold 4.3 and SA Trouts 5 and 4. Truth cast all of them with aplomb and if you had but one #4 line, one might be pleased with any of these and more (I did not include Cortland Omni-Verse). But Truth revealed its line preference in two salient ways. It preferred closer to true weight lines like the Gold and the Trout #4 feeling a little heavy handed with the Trout #5, Modern Trout and the Infinity though it cast them just fine at all distances. And it cast better with long heads and long rear tapers without forward biased weight distribution. It cast Trout #5 better tathn half size lighter Infinity because its taper was more attuned to it despite it being too heavy. Modern Trout too was too aggressive for it in a similar way to the Infinity...these would both be fine lines for a rod favoring a little extra mass and front loading like the above mentioned Scott S3/4 or TFO BVK, sort of improvement over GPX/MPX. Gold and Trout #4 where both perfect both in weight and taper and only actual presenting flies to living fish would determine if one was sharper and smoother than the other. These two also formed the tightest and most uniform loop shapes while Infinity, disappointingly produced more dips and bounce anomalies. For rods or anglers who favor SA MPX, Infinity represents a distinct taper improvement while performing similarly though. So, taper design and weight distribution where the deceive factors for this very nice new rod. Depending on the size river I was to fish, I'm confident that SA Smooth Trout or RIO IT Gold would be optimal.

ryc72

Reaction score
Fished S.A. amplitude mpx and infinity smooth in 5wt yesterday throwing streamers and double nymph rigs and they are both awesome lines. Both shoot well but the textured line definitely shoots much much better...not even close in my opinion. The smooth line shoots really well too but the textured line just shoots like crazy. It’s also a pretty noisy line. Stripping through the guides it’s amazing how much you hear the line. I wouldn’t say it detracted from my fishing but I certainly noticed it. Not saying to go out and spend $130 on a fly line but if you did I don’t think you’d be disappointed.

Last edited:

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Yesterday I fished an Amplitude Smooth Infinity on a 591-4 Sage X. I was throwing size 6 bonefish/redfish flies with a good breeze blowing. It was all sight fishing and all the shots were around 35-40' max. The rod/line combo handled the breeze well. Last weekend I tried a 5 wt Amplitude Smooth Bonefish under similar conditions and it didn't perform as well.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Yesterday I fished an Amplitude Smooth Infinity on a 591-4 Sage X. I was throwing size 6 bonefish/redfish flies with a good breeze blowing. It was all sight fishing and all the shots were around 35-40' max. The rod/line combo handled the breeze well. Last weekend I tried a 5 wt Amplitude Smooth Bonefish under similar conditions and it didn't perform as well.
Bob, Infinity is a half size heavier than SA Bonefish and has more forward, aggressive weight bias, a little like a gentler version of SA Grand Slam. So, given bead chain or light dumbbell weighted flies and a breeze, Infinity would be in its intent element. And X tends to like a tad extra weight anyway, even dry fly fishing, my 8 1/2'/#5 X likes 5.4 wt. RIO Gold.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Bob, Infinity is a half size heavier than SA Bonefish and has more forward, aggressive weight bias, a little like a gentler version of SA Grand Slam. So, given bead chain or light dumbbell weighted flies and a breeze, Infinity would be in its intent element. And X tends to like a tad extra weight anyway, even dry fly fishing, my 8 1/2'/#5 X likes 5.4 wt. RIO Gold.
I know the weights of the lines. I originally bought the infinity for this very type of fishing. I bought the bone fish line later thinking there would be times when a true to weight line would be better. Also although the fly I was casting on the bone fish line was weighted with the same bead chain it was a larger hook and lees aerodynamic buck tail rather than lightly dressed craft fur. I have a Gold spooled up but haven't cast it on the X yet. It is the older version, not the InTouch model. BTW have you fished a MEDT on the X yet?

Last edited:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
"BTW have you fished a MEDT on the X yet?"

No I have not, nor Cort. Omni-Verse either both of which I should experiment with. I've just been so happy with Gold. At this point it will be spring before that rods sees water again.

802flyfish

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Amplituide MPX or the Infinity Smooth on a Helios 3 6wt?

Trying to decide on a line, most likely going to purchase the 6 D.