New 8 Weight Evolution LTX Backing

Gaboon

Reaction score
Hello, I just got a new Ross Evolution LTX for a NRX 8 Weight Saltwater Rod. I bought it for one of the free fly fishing classes Orvis has which will be at the NJ shore. I bought a spool of Scientific Anglers Amplitude MPX WF8F and 30lb. XTS Gel Spun Backing. Is 30lb. the right weight to use for an 8 weight fly rod and reel? I'm very new to fly fishing, so I don't really know what to use. I read that the XTS was good for saltwater fishing, and the lowest weight they had was 30lb. The guy teaching the class said we'll be going for Stripers and Blues mostly, and I will probably use it for Musky and big Bass normally. If 30lb. is too much, I can always save it for a bigger rod in the future, I got a pretty good deal on it. If it is good, how much should I use?

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I usually use at least 50 gel spun as it has a diameter that is closer to 20lb dacron/micron which is usually consodered standard backing for 8 wt and smaller rods. The 30lb is strong enough but your spool may not completely fill the reel before adding the fly line.

Last edited:

Gaboon

Reaction score
Well the spool is 250 yards, so should I use the entire thing? I saw something where they recommend putting the line on and then the backing until the spool is full, that way you know exactly how much to use. The only problem I have with that is, what to take it back off with. I don't have an extra spool yet

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
30# braid is so thin one can easily cut themselves controlling it during retrieval. For an 8-wt. outfit I usually recommend 60# gel spun which is not as thick as 30#Dacron. If you go up to Saltwater there is a thread about Gel Spun backing. You do have a great rod and reel though.

Gaboon

Reaction score
30# braid is so thin one can easily cut themselves controlling it during retrieval. For an 8-wt. outfit I usually recommend 60# gel spun which is not as thick as 30#Dacron. If you go up to Saltwater there is a thread about Gel Spun backing. You do have a great rod and reel though.
I see there's a 50# XTS, so I assume it would be better to go with that? I'm really eager to try this new setup, so I might put the 30# on for now and then order the 50# and put it on when it arrives. I will most likely be using this setup in freshwater 90%+ of the time, so if 30# is sufficient, I could always get a pair of gloves to prevent cutting my fingers if I catch a big fish that's stripping tons of line. As far as the 30# goes, should I plan on using the entire 250 yard spool on the 7/8 Evolution LTX? I really want to get it setup so I can try it today, I've had the rod since Wed. and it's driving me crazy not being able to use it :( Thank you for all the replies, I really appreciate it!! I didn't realize Gel Spun was so much thinner than Dacron!!

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Well the spool is 250 yards, so should I use the entire thing? I saw something where they recommend putting the line on and then the backing until the spool is full, that way you know exactly how much to use. The only problem I have with that is, what to take it back off with. I don't have an extra spool yet
I have done this. To get it back on in the correct order I went to a large baseball field (unused at the time) and stripped of all the line, then I tied the end of the backing on the arbor and wound it back on the reel.
It is easier if you mount the reel on a rod. I usually use a short spinning rod. Be prepared for some funny looks.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
Your reel will easily swallow 250yds.of 30lb.XTS (plus your fly line) and it will be strong enough for your required tasks.As others have mentioned though,250 yards may actually not be enough to fill this large arbor spool.If you can get the 50lb.(0.016') it's preferable as it's also marginally easier to handle and tie knots with.You don't mention what size the reel is but I'm presuming it's a 7/8?
One final tip..don't join braided backing on your spool.

Gaboon

Reaction score
Yes, it's a 7/8 Evolution LTX, I could've sworn I wrote that it was a 7/8, don't know how I missed that! Anyway, I put all 250 yards of the 30# on last night and it looks like there's a little too much on it. I'm going to take a ride down to the local fly shop soon and ask for a little help with it, I don't want to screw anything up, especially on this rig. All my other reels have come with the line already on them, so this is the first time I've had to do it myself. Probably take it out on the Delaware for a bit before I come back to town and try catching this huge white carp that's in the pond down the street from my house. Been trying to figure out what flies to use, I'll have to mosey on over to the proper section to get some help with that.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

The business of spooling the line and then the backing to check capacity has always sounded like an urban legend to me. Anyone who has ever removed 250 yards of backing from a large reel prior to sale knows that it is not easily done by hand.

Over the years I've loaded a lot of backing and lines and generally speaking you can look at a spool as the backing is applied and know whether or not the line will fill or over / under fill the reel. Load the backing and then the line, unless the reel is terribly under filled I'd call it good. If by some chance the line will not fit you'll get practice at unspooling backing.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
Hi,

The business of spooling the line and then the backing to check capacity has always sounded like an urban legend to me. Anyone who has ever removed 250 yards of backing from a large reel prior to sale knows that it is not easily done by hand.

Over the years I've loaded a lot of backing and lines and generally speaking you can look at a spool as the backing is applied and know whether or not the line will fill or over / under fill the reel. Load the backing and then the line, unless the reel is terribly under filled I'd call it good. If by some chance the line will not fit you'll get practice at unspooling backing.
I did that with a Galvan T-8. It wasn't 250 yds. but it was at least 200.
Last night I filled two spools with backing. An Abel super 5 with a spare big game no. 2 spool. Used an entire 400 meter spool of Hatch PE backing. A quarter mile of backing takes a whole bunch of cranking. The first hundred yards on the small arbor big game spool seemed to take forever. I did put it on in the correct order this time. I had another big game 2 spool and used it as a guide.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Bob,

I've suggested them before and I'll do it again..............

canvas.jpg

Maybe you have one maybe not but for a few bucks they make life easy. I've been using that one long enough that they actually got lower in price. An inventive type will figure out how to use their Dewalt Drill to unload backing from reels too :)

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I have one of those. The issue with a reel you're not familiar with, is how much backing to wind on. I had a partial spool that was originally 600 yds. How do you when you have loaded 200 yds on a reel. When I loaded that Galvan in reverse order it was held by the very device you have pictured, as was the frame of the Abel reel when I loaded them last night. BTW a length 1/4" dowel rod in a dewalt unloads a reel quickly. When I didn't have a dowel handy I have used a large nail. The little battery powered gizmo that came with the reel filling station worked well also but it only lasted a short time.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
I agree Ard,and I can't understand why this particular reel would not take 250 yards of that 30lb.XTS....and while I realize it's time consuming,I load all my backing by hand under tension using a leather garden glove to ensure it goes on absolutely tight.
P.S.Try a #8 Black/Purple Woolly Bugger for the Carp

osseous

Reaction score
YouTube

Watch this al the way thru- the head to Home Depot for the needed supplies. Costs about $30 and you're good to go.
I've been playing around with Hollow Ace from Powerpro for backing. You can easily splice it with a large sewing needle- and add blind sliced loops to the end of your fly lines for easy swaps. I would suggest 60lb Hollow Ace for an 8wt.

Another trick I've been using is to use a small wooden skewer to wind line onto the spools that fly lines come on. When you're done, the skewer just slides out from beneath the stack of line on the spool. A skewer and a Bic pen are all you need to cleanly wind a line back onto its original spool. No need for a fancy line winder or a bunch of aftermarket cassettes.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

clsmith131

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry all that much about it. Wind your fly line on, if you have too much backing, remove the fly line, take some off. For striper and blues or bass and musky, you won't need more than 50 yds. The rest will serve you well with line pick up, effectively creating a larger arbor. If you are in a situation where you have more than 100 yds of backing out, it's time to get on your horse and chase that fish down anyway. I think you should go with the backing you have. If it presents a problem down the road, change it. As a beginner, you won't know yet what your preference is, and that gel spun backing is pricey, so I wouldn't buy any more until I knew I needed it. Personally, I always go with dacron, save money where you can.