OPST Micro-skagit lines

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
These OPST commando heads in low line weights such as 175 grain for 4wt. rod look especially mouth watering. I've been thinking of pairing one with my superfine touch 8' 4weight for single hand spey applications. Anyone here have experience with these products? very curious to hear some feedback.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I have a reel set up for one but haven't ordered the line yet. I was going to get the 300 gr line for an 8 wt. Ghostrider 408 recommended it to me. If he doesn't post here you might try sending him a PM

flav

Reaction score
I use a 175 grain head on my 9 foot 4 weight. Awesome for some things, especially throwing sink tips and heavy streamers. No need for a 6 or 7 weight to throw big streamers any more, I can use my favorite dry fly rod and cast the big stuff farther, and with much less effort. If you like to strip streamers I suggest the new integrated line called the commando smooth. I haven't cast one yet, but I've seen them in the fly shop. I think these light spey lines on a single hander are a much better option than trout speys or light switch rods.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I use the 150 head on my Barclay 75P (4/5) and it works really nice, I didn't care for it on a graphite rod in 4wt but I probably should have loaded it with a 175 grain head.

You might not like it at first, or ever though. It is a harsh line at first; you will want to overpower it but I find a slow and gentle motion works for me and I get great distances out of it. You might want to get some of the OPST tips with it as they smooth it out quite a bit. They are not for fishing midges though but with the heavier weights I use for smallmouth fishing they cast bugs really well.

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
I use the 150 head on my Barclay 75P (4/5) and it works really nice, I didn't care for it on a graphite rod in 4wt but I probably should have loaded it with a 175 grain head.

You might not like it at first, or ever though. It is a harsh line at first; you will want to overpower it but I find a slow and gentle motion works for me and I get great distances out of it. You might want to get some of the OPST tips with it as they smooth it out quite a bit. They are not for fishing midges though but with the heavier weights I use for smallmouth fishing they cast bugs really well.
I would be surprised if I didn't like it, I've been spey fishing for steelhead with double handers for quite some time. What interests me is the ease of casting relatively large flies with lighter weight tackle. I can't stand trout fishing with a 6 weight, just too much graphite.

How easy or difficult is it to throw the commando sink tips, is the turnover decent? comparable to a full size skagit on a double hander?

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
Welp I pulled the trigger on the 200 grain. commando smooth paired with two 40 grain 5ft. sink tips, one 60 grain 7.5ft sink tip & I'll use a floating tip from my 5wt. airflo tactical steelhead spey line it's 8ft long and weighs 58 grains on the scale, should pair nicely. I'll be matching this line with various 590 rods throwing streamers w/ sink tips, and soft hackles w/ floating tip. Just for kicks I'll attempt dry fly and nymphing along with floating tip and standard trout leader. I'll try to get a detailed report up on this setup come spring

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Here is a chart I spotted on Red's Fly Shop awhile back, it might help others pick the correct line weight for their rigs if interested in Single Hand Spey:

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
Researching this product now also. I would love a tip system to change sink to float, etc. Skagit casting is very useful in tight quarters. I too am looking to open up my 905 for more use with streamers, poppers and bugs.

Q. Is there a better idea for a running line to aid mending? I realize there may be better integrated options(including commando smooth) but I want to change tips too. SA Skagit Spey Lite?

huronfly

Reaction score
Any running line will be difficult to mend with a Skagit head. Cast at the angle you like and mend the head immediately or aerial mend, but once the swing has begun leave it alone and use your rod tip to steer the head and fly. There are coated running lines that float higher and make it slightly easier to mend, but nothing like a fly line with a long body and rear taper. Cheers.

ryc72

Reaction score
You can change tips on the integrated spey lite lines. The shooting head is attached to the running line so you can’t change that but there is no fixed tip attached to the shooting head. You’re free to put on a floating tip or intermediate tip or s3, s6, 7’6”, 10’0”...whatever tip you want.

SRSteelheader

Reaction score
Any running line will be difficult to mend with a Skagit head. Cast at the angle you like and mend the head immediately or aerial mend, but once the swing has begun leave it alone and use your rod tip to steer the head and fly. There are coated running lines that float higher and make it slightly easier to mend, but nothing like a fly line with a long body and rear taper. Cheers.
I second the aerial mend suggestion. I run a 0.032 running line. I can mend it, but it does require lifting nearly all of the running line off the water, and even then you do not have the ability to throw the mend far.