Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First Sink tip line suggestions for streamers

Greetings,

I would like suggestions for my first sink tip line. I aim to target trout and smallmouth on a 5 weight Loop Opti stream. I do not yet own a heavier rod. Using small to mid size muddlers, buggers and finn streamers around 8-12 size. I fish trout mainly in the Adirondacks.

I also wish to have a line to punch through the wind with a dry fly when needed, greasing the tip.

Looking at SA Sonar Titan, or perhaps Airflo Trout heads (10 foot kit of leaders I can use with Airflo River&Stream SHS line).

New to sink lines, this forum is great for resources.

2. Likes Ard liked this post

Default Re: First Sink tip line suggestions for streamers

You want to fish dry flies with the same line?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    You want to fish dry flies with the same line?

No, I also have a SA Mastery Trout and an Airflo River&Stream for dries and nymphing.

Gotcha- For std trout river fishing, I like a short (10'), fast sinking tip line. Pair that with a level short 3-4' leader of 0X to 2X fluorocarbon leader with a loop knot to your fly. Longer tips for lakes or deep moving water below a dam. You want to be able to hit the spots, mend, pick up and re-cast. Longer heads don't let you do that very well. Streamer trout fishing is a reaction game- the more fish you can show the fly, in the most efficient manner- the quicker you can figure out the pattern of color, size and sink rate. If your head is too long it can wrap rocks, be hard to mend and re-cast. Think short, fast, deep enough to reach the bottom- and provide good control to hit every likely holding lie.

6. Thanks MichaelCPA thanked for this post
    Likes clouserguyky liked this post

I agree with everything that Osseous said above. I use a somewhat different line for stream to try to accomplish what he describes.

My main streamer line for moving water is an older Orvis Streamer Stripper line that I bought about 20 years ago but is still going strong. The fast sink tip is only 4 feet long so it is even easier to pick up in a back cast than a regular 10 foot tip. I use it in a 5 wt., but on smaller water I can cast it with 4 wt. rods also.

It works exactly as Osseous describes. I had been concerned about what I would do when the line wears out. But at 73 it appears the line may outlast me.

If it wears out I will probably buy a 6 wt. 10 foot sink tip and then cut off the first 5 feet and fish it on my 5 wt. rods. There used to be a Teeny line that had a mini sink tip, but I think that one was slow sink and designed mostly to swing wet flies for summer steelhead.

In any event I would go with the fastest sinking, shortest sink tip that I could find.

Good luck,

Don

8. Thanks MichaelCPA thanked for this post

Here's a alternative suggestion: instead of getting a dedicated sink-tip line, have you considered simply adding a versileader or polyleader to your existing WF floating line? I've used integrated sink tip lines, the Rio Versi-Tip lines(floating line with a variety of sink tips of varying densities that attach loop-to-loop), and have now landed on using the Airflo polyleaders for both my single-handed and double-handed rods. They're relatively inexpensive, so you can buy a number in different densities and lengths for a variety of fishing, and you can just attach them loop-to-loop to the floating line you're already using. I assume these are what you mean when you mention the Airflo trout leaders?

Also, check out Ard's stickies on fishing sink tips and swinging streamers to see his patented method of making and fishing them. Some very good advice there.

Scott

10. Thanks MichaelCPA thanked for this post
    Likes ia_trouter liked this post

All viable options. The limiting factor is the 5wt. That will dictate the size of the flies to some degree. The big articulated stuff is doable, but you are pushing your luck. A dedicated "built" sink tip sized to your 5wt will handle those a little better, with none of the hinge effect the poly leaders (one size fits all) will suffer, and better turnover. You might cut the poly leader back a bit if you're fishing shallow rivers on that rod- It should make for a decent combo.

Thanks, great advice. The Airflo polyleaders are a great idea and flexible, I see 5 foot fast sink as the go-to option,l. Nice quick solution.

I am looking at SA Frequency Sink Tip lines, locally on sale and should work well. It really opens up another dimension of fishing streamers and slowly rising chronimids in ponds and above the dams.

Just ordered their clear tip sonic emerger line for fishing chironomids.

14. Likes MichaelCPA liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by duker View Post
    Here's a alternative suggestion: instead of getting a dedicated sink-tip line, have you considered simply adding a versileader or polyleader to your existing WF floating line? I've used integrated sink tip lines, the Rio Versi-Tip lines(floating line with a variety of sink tips of varying densities that attach loop-to-loop), and have now landed on using the Airflo polyleaders for both my single-handed and double-handed rods. They're relatively inexpensive, so you can buy a number in different densities and lengths for a variety of fishing, and you can just attach them loop-to-loop to the floating line you're already using. I assume these are what you mean when you mention the Airflo trout leaders?

Also, check out Ard's stickies on fishing sink tips and swinging streamers to see his patented method of making and fishing them. Some very good advice there.

Scott
    Yes: Airflo Polyleader would be easy, serviceable.

I have started reading Ard's tome, great wealth of information and daunting. With a pocket of various lengths and weight, you can loop-to-loop any combo for any situation. Is the Airflo/Rio sinking leader set the commercial equivalent?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast