Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Manufacturer VS Manufacturer VS.....

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    Airflo are PU, everyone else uses PVC.
    Monic is also using PU or PE (forget which).

I was talking to the Monic owner at the Denver show- he wouldn't comment on what they use!-

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I was talking to the Monic owner at the Denver show- he wouldn't comment on what they use!-

I talked to them a bit a couple years ago and they weren't hiding it then. I recall it was PE but I wouldn't put money on it.

They are launching an entirely new floating formula- but it's clear.

They are launching an entirely new floating formula- but it's clear.

If I'm not mistaken Monic had the first clear floating lines.

Quote Originally Posted by joe_strummer View Post
    If I'm not mistaken Monic had the first clear floating lines.
    If I recall accurately that is true. Cortland makes a clear and tinted PU/monocore line too, a saltwater intended Liquid Crystal (& Blue). The Flats taper is excellent and is a line always in my arsenal bonefishing...shoots like a rocket too and has minimal stretch due to an interesting thermal bonding method of construction. For dry fly fishing though my preference remains PVC over braided nylon core.

As far as preferred manufacturer of lines in both salt and fresh, taper and mass distribution is my primary cause for choice. Basically trout fishing I fish RIO's Gold (& the IT version for some rods too), SA's Trout (Expert Distance Taper before it was axed) and more recently Cortland's Omni-Verse. These lines have related long head, elongated rear taper designs which I favor for presentation and line handling reasons. I have good experience with all three except the Textured version of the SA, I chose the Mastery or new Amplitude Smooth. I select one over an other depending on the rod. In the salt RIO dominates even more so now with the advent of their excellent DirectCore construction though some newer Cortland lines have found there way into my kit very happily. I also have new version SA Bonefish. I have one rod, a Scott S4s that likes an Airflo Ridge Tropic.
    Last edited by sweetandsalt; 01-14-2019 at 03:28 PM.

7. Likes fly2field liked this post

This new one touts zero memory. Standard tapers- stardard aftma weights.

Quote Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
    I agree. This whole forum is personal opinion. In addition, the OP asked what our favorite fly lines are, which is personal opinion. No need to apologize.
    No one should apologize for anything! Yes forums are but about opinions but when people offer reasons with their opinion the readers gather information which is educational for all

As the OP this is not about favorite line but the two different compositions of line exterior and if one does have an advantage PU vs PVC in cleaning and longevity.

I'm learning so happy with all the responses.
    Life is too short to not own at least one piece of Hardy fly fishing gear

10. Likes dynaflow liked this post

I stopped by outdoor store after work today and seen Fenwick fly line for sale, now that I haven't seen in my area for a long time.

My daughters boyfriend is starting to fly fish. I gave him a rod I've not used in a while and spooled his reels and a few old reels I gave him, with some lines I've had around for years that had been used a few times and some not at all. One was a brand new DT Fenwick that had been purchased 20 years ago NIB. I was very reluctant...sadly hesitant...but spooled one of the spare spools with peach Cortland 444...used only a couple times............He better never break her heart now or .....LOL

Use all manufactures to an extent. I just like to gain knowledge from those who are using the lines. I am new to Airflo so interested in their makeup vs most of the others. I had one gentleman who sent me a pm so as not to start an argument. No need for any of us to argue, we all have our opinions, just back them up with your reasons why and readers of posts gather important information
    As I stated above the post was about the make up of fly lines PU vs PVC, pro's and cons more than anything else.
    Keep it coming.
    Life is too short to not own at least one piece of Hardy fly fishing gear

You gave him a peach Cortland 444? Great line! He better marry her and make an honest flyfishernan of himself!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

13. Likes Ontarioflyguy liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast