Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Manufacturer VS Manufacturer VS.....

When I first started flirting with fly fishing there were three fly lines available to me locally, Cortland, Scientific Anglers and bargain lines like Fenwick
    Now that I'm taking fly fishing more serious and buying new gear there are newer lines out like Rio and Airflow that are available everywhere.

I assume from reading that the top three lines are Scientific Anglers, Rio and Airflow in no particular order.

I'm not wondering which is everyone's favorite as I now own all 3 although some not tested yet.

I have 20 year old Cortland and a SA sink tip I still have that is usable. I have some Rio lines that I am liking and think are awesome. I've just purchased some Airflow and have read a bit about them.

I am wondering if anyone believes the material used to make Airflow lines is superior or not as they differ from the rest in their basic materials????????????????
    Life is too short to not own at least one piece of Hardy fly fishing gear

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Default Re: Manufacturer VS Manufacturer VS.....

A famous American fly fisherman was asked "what was the single biggest advancement in fly fishing?" or words to that effect,and his answer was "fly lines",and pretty much any line you have beyond five years old has been superseded by another one used for the same purpose (stand by to repel boarders...lol)....to the point where you can now pay in excess of a $100 for one,but to answer your question it will help if you can more specific about the species you're targeting to get the best advice here.Airflo lines are made of a different material to the others you mention (S.A.and Rio) as they're coated with polyurethane (vs PVC).I only fish the salt and the only Airflo line I use is their Redfish/Bonefish.I prefer Rio lines for my purpose as I find the Airflo lines too thick generally.
    Last edited by dynaflow; 01-13-2019 at 01:07 AM. Reason: correct punctuation

3. Likes Ard, mcnerney liked this post

I don't worry about composition of line, more how it fits each rod. I have been using Airflo on most of my single hand rods the past few years, but use Gold on a couple of Sage rods. Gaelforce is my favorite for my two-hand rods 7wt and above. Using airflo on my 4wt.

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
    A famous American fly fisherman was asked "what was the single biggest advancement in fly fishing?" or words to that effect,and his answer was "fly lines,and pretty much any line you have beyond five years old has been superseded by another one used for the same purpose (stand by to repel boarders...lol)....to the point where you can now pay in excess of a $100 for one,but to answer your question it will help if you can more specific about the species you're targeting to get the best advice here.Airflo lines are made of a different material to the others you mention (S.A.and Rio) as they're coated with polyurethane (vs PVC).I only fish the salt and the only Airflo line I use is their Redfish/Bonefish.I prefer Rio lines for my purpose as I find the Airflo lines too thick generally.
    Fair enough...my question should be do those that have used both, does PVC coated lines add any distict advantage over Polyurethane coated lines?

7. Likes Ard liked this post

Airflo is my favorite by far. Especially the Super Dri series like the Elite and Exceed.

My reasons are pretty simple as to why I like it:

1, They ridges help float this line very high on the water, making less surface of the water coming in contact with the line.
    2, Being made of polyurethane, it doesn't crack like pvc lines do after a few seasons.
    3, Stays supple in cold water and weather.
    4, It doesn't collect as much dirt and grime as other lines do, so cleaning it is very quick and less often.
    5, Resists deet, UV rays, sunscreen.
    6, Sprays less when you perform a bad lift off the water. Again because of the ridges.
    7, As of right now, it's less expensive as these newer lines that are out.

So with all these positives and being less expensive for a line that will last longer, especially if you take care of it and maintain it, than other big name lines, what's to think about? It's a no brainer.

Now I must agree that it is a little bit bigger in diameter, but again with the ridges, less material comes in contact with the guides. Granted the ridges are not deep, but they are visible. I personally have had no issues casting these lines.

If Airflo wasn't around, I'd go with SA lines.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

9. Likes osseous, Ard, huronfly, el jefe, mcnerney, leftytyro liked this post

Appreciate your reply and enjoy the opinions but I assume #2 you meant Made of PVC not Polyurethane?

Experiences good and bad shape our perceptions. Our casting and fishing styles have a huge impact on line choices, of course. I'm sure we all have good reasons for our preferences. I happen to like Rio lines, making their Single Handed Spey my go to line for my single handers, with a Single Handed Spey 3D on a spare spool for each single handed rod wt. I own. They fish GREAT, last long, and reflect sound design. I also like Cortland double tapers, the peach one. For double handers, the Rio In touch trout Spey and Skagit trout spey for my 4 wt. 11' dh and the Rio Skagit Max Game Changers for my 12'9" 7 wt Echo Glass Spey are favorites, along with OPST commando heads for both single hand and double hand use in the hopes of casting like that seen on the OPST videos (I wish!).

Bad experience with one of the other companies' lines include high priced lines which fished beautifully the first week, but soon started to sink after landing quite a few big Wyoming trout (never kept in the truck or dragged through grit, or left in the sun, or exposed to petrochemicals, etc.). The sinking seemed to be caused by microcracks in the coating. These were new high end lines, so I wrote that company off forever. I'm sure that emotional response to one negative experience deprived me of many great lines from that company but such is the nature of product preference.

Experts talk about custom made lines for two handed rods from boutique makers, which are beyond my understanding. They love 'em.

Choosing lines is like choosing between blondes, brunette and redheads. Those of us lucky enough to compare high end specimens can answer with certainty that they are NOT all the same, though there are many similarities. We all have our preferences based on unforgettable experiences, both great and awful. It can get expensive, but if you know what you are doing and choose well, you can arrive at a solution that matches your style, is great fun and not too expensive in the long run. Finding out what you like is a HUGE part of the fun. For me, the Rio Single Handed Spey 3D is the "blue-eyed brunette" of my fly fishing line universe. Gorgeous, my very own blue-eyed brunette, prefers Rio Gold or Rio perception lines. She isn't picky though (thank God for my sake) and could easily outfish me using an old, no name bargain basement fly line of the wrong weight, but we won't dwell on that...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Airflo are PU, everyone else uses PVC. I have had numerous Airflo lines, going back about 20 years. Currently, I have their River and Stream and their Galloup nymph lines. In general, they're more durable than PVC lines, although I did have two that failed altogether- with the coating coming free from the core. The ridges seem to aid in handling and shooting to a degree- but they hold a ton of grit. If you clean one of these lines with an agent on a pad- that becomes apparent. The good news is, they tolerate cleaning well, and float like new again with the application of some Loon Payette Paste.

The others are not created equal IMHO- Although they have a lot of fans on this forum, Rio has a coating that is pretty infamous. I had given up on their trout lines for a long time- but recently tried a low stretch version of the Gold. NOPE- still rough and lumpy. Their latest Bonefish lines are quite impressive, however.

Sci Anglers Amplitude MPX is the nicest trout line I've bought in a very long time- Outstanding shooting and handling. Seems durable after one season. Their texture is like a golfball- dimpled into the surface, not raised above. This helps it shoot, and holds floating agents (to some degree?) The Amplitude Smooth is just that- extremely smooth handling. Noticeably moreso than the Rio product.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ontarioflyguy View Post
    Appreciate your reply and enjoy the opinions but I assume #2 you meant Made of PVC not Polyurethane?
    Nope. Polyurethane. Watch their video. Click on the link below, then you will see their logo at the top of the page across from their search. Click on the logo and you will see their video.
    Airflo Fly Fishing Tackle | Flylines, Leaders, Fishing Tackle and Accessories
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty macfly View Post
    Nope. Polyurethane. Watch their video. Click on the link below, then you will see their logo at the top of the page across from their search. Click on the logo and you will see their video.
    Airflo Fly Fishing Tackle | Flylines, Leaders, Fishing Tackle and Accessories
    I stand Corrected lol

I have lines from various manufactures that seem good just looking at the pros and cons of these two different types....it all very fascinating. I like the fact that Airflo seems to require less maintenance.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast